The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I very curious about Russian AA as well. the Ukrainian air force is still flying but not in large numbers and they have lost units to Russian AA.

Ukraine has also successfully shotdown a few russian high end fighters- A couple of SU-34s and Su-30s ( Dont know the actual number) and they used even older Soviet AA systems. And I have seen a lot of videos of Russia making Ukranian AAs high priority targets.

So we know the Russian AAs work to an extent. So maybe the problem is Russian AA is very bad at Friend and Foe recognition and they are too scared to use it as they are afraid they will shootdown their own planes?

Syria is a curiosity as well, Are the S-300s of the Syrian military uselss or are they forbidden from using them against Israel by the Russians?

I was hoping this conflict would finally shed some light into the actual capabilities of Russian tech, but so far its the same story, too many clouds.

I am afraid that the only way we will really get any proper info on Russian systems is if India or China ever take part in a large enough conflict(someting I hope neither countries ever do).
This article suggests some possible reasons why Russia is having problems wrt air activity.

Big_Zucchini

Syria is a curiosity as well, Are the S-300s of the Syrian military uselss or are they forbidden from using them against Israel by the Russians?

I was hoping this conflict would finally shed some light into the actual capabilities of Russian tech, but so far its the same story, too many clouds.
Russia forbids Syria to use its S-300 against Israel.

And this conflict is too limited technology-wise to make assessments. Essentially it's manned aircraft flying there most of the time. Even old SAMs would not have a problem at least targeting them. And with good tactics, downing them.
We have seen reports of drones and large missiles being downed as well, and they would probably be at the edge of what Soviet SAMs are capable of. They can down them, after all it's just a reduction of the radar cross section, but with great difficulty and far below the efficiency seen in modern western systems.

You should also be aware that on both sides, air defenses are switched off most of the time to avoid emitting signals that reveal their location. So while more survivable, they are spending less time monitoring and hunting down targets.

JGCAC

I very curious about Russian AA as well. the Ukrainian air force is still flying but not in large numbers and they have lost units to Russian AA.

Ukraine has also successfully shotdown a few russian high end fighters- A couple of SU-34s and Su-30s ( Dont know the actual number) and they used even older Soviet AA systems. And I have seen a lot of videos of Russia making Ukranian AAs high priority targets.

So we know the Russian AAs work to an extent. So maybe the problem is Russian AA is very bad at Friend and Foe recognition and they are too scared to use it as they are afraid they will shootdown their own planes?

I am afraid that the only way we will really get any proper info on Russian systems is if India or China ever take part in a large enough conflict(someting I hope neither countries ever do).
I think they have few medium range PGMs (like the JDAM). So they're forced to dive bomb, WW2 style, with unguided FABs. In that scenario, any jet is vulnerable to AAA/SHORADS.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It came up i relation to my point that the Russian AA doesn’t seem to be effective as mooted. The Ukranian airforce is still flying apparently
Low altitude ground-attack missions are hard to detect. Russia's failure isn't GBAD so much as it is poor airspace control. Russia needs to hang an A-50U in the sky 24/7, with 2-4 fighter CAPs. The problem is that Ukraine's own GBAD is unsupressed, so no A-50Us and high altitude fighter caps. Which goes back to the problem of IADS roll back and SEAD/DEAD missions. It's the challenge that was identified before any of this began. It looks like Russia tried to shut down Ukraine's IADS and air force all with missile strikes. And while it wasn't entirely ineffective, Ukraine lost lots of SAMs and aircraft, it wasn't total like it needed to be. Ukrainian airforce and air defense were disoriented and disorganized for the first several days, but surviving assets were rebased, and are now being used again. Granted the rebasing of assets also came with casualties. We have confirmed destroyed Ukrainian Buks and S-300s where it appears they were hit on the march, or while being transported. And some Ukrainian jets appear to be have been downed while performing these strikes. All in all it's not the clean air dominance situation that some might have expected. Really Russia needs to complete destruction of Ukrainian GBAD with heavy use of EW, and then take full control of the sky. But it's not clear how well this can be executed, and how willing Russia is to rely on EW to deal with the occasional surviving Buk TELAR.

I think they have few medium range PGMs (like the JDAM). So they're forced to dive bomb, WW2 style, with unguided FABs. In that scenario, any jet is vulnerable to AAA/SHORADS.
The VKS went down the road of improving accuracy for unguided munitions using better targetting systems. Allegeldy they've reached comparable accuracy to first-generation PGMs. Even if strictly true, I have to ask comparable accuracy at what altitude? Also there has been a big push in the VKS to train pilots on avoiding ground-fire, especially MANPADS and AAA. In principle the VKS has done well in Syria even with unguided munitions, but this is a different situation altogether.

IHFP

As a non Ukrainian its interesting to hear Putin say that the Ukrainians are pretty much Russians, when I personally have experienced Ukrainian culture. Why Vladimir Putin has already lost this war | Yuval Noah Harari |

As a Canadian from the prairies, specifically Southern Manitoba, I have been in contact with plenty of Ukrainian culture. My grandfather helped the Ukrainian settlers put their roots down. From the amazing food (perogies and cabbage rolls, amazing!), to the music, and even Ukrainian dance, the arts, and language. There are plenty of examples of Ukrainian culture. Our own Foreign Minister Christia Freeland is of Ukrainian heritage. The Guardian Canada pledges more military gear for Ukraine | DefenceTalk

danonz

Clip of KH 101 missile supposedly
I cant tell if it is or not.

The Kh-101 / Kh-102 is a line of conventional and nuclear capable air-launched cruise missiles (ALCM) developed and deployed by Russia. A stealthy missile, the Kh-101/-102 is designed to defeat air defense systems by flying at low, terrain-hugging altitudes to avoid radar systems. The Kh-101 carries a conventional warhead, while the Kh-102 is believed to carry a 250 kt nuclear payload.

Drone footage of ATGM on top of residential buildings probably not want Ukraine wants going around if true, although I'm not sure if civilians would still be around.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
the topic is named incorrectly because Donbass is not "ukraine" but part of Russia
View attachment 49003
Russia doesn't seem to think the Donbass is part of Russia. So your position isn't supported by any of the parties to this conflict even with Russian recognition of the LDNR. The map in question isn't particularly relevent or historically accurate. Ukraine was not an entity within the empire. Please read through the earlier parts of this thread, this entire conversation was already had.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
I said my opinion... I heard that there is "Freedom of Speech" in America?
Freedom of speech refers to government activity. You are on a private forum. There is an expectation of quality posting here, and there are forum rules to follow. In addition we generally expect more then one-liner responses. This is an internet forum, not a chat client. The rule is sometimes relaxed based on circumstances and for members who have a history of positive contributions, but it is a general expectation.

denix56

the topic is named incorrectly because Donbass is not "ukraine" but part of Russia
View attachment 49003
Vladimir Putin, please log off.

We can say the same things about any Soviet Republic as the borders were changed. These claims look as strange (i will use this word to avoid harder ones) as if Germany claimed Kaliningrad now (though they would have more moral right to do so). It doesn't matter what was 50-100-1000 years ago as we are in 2022 now and noone who lives on these territories cares about whom it belonged before.

Upd:
I would like to add 1 observation of my own. I live 15 km from Rammstein airbase and 2-3 days after the conflict started the airplanes stopped coming here. Before several times a day each day Herculeses and Globemasters and other planes landed over my house. Now it is really quite here. I suppose they moved them somewhere closer to the Eastern borders.

Last edited:

denix56

This article suggests some possible reasons why Russia is having problems wrt air activity.

I might sound a bit newbie, but could the reason be just poor planing / logistics, false reports, extreme corruption and a lot of poorly qualified people at important places that resulted in inability to use the VKS well? It looked nice when it fought ISIL or during the large-scale training that gave cool TV picture, but nobody really knew how it would perform against the country with +- same technological level. How well the new planes really work? How well were they maintained? How good does the intelligence work?
There was a post somewhere (I cant find it now): USA claims that at least half of Ukrainian AA survived. I don't know how true is it, but the fact is definitely not all the missiles hit the targets as they are shot in the air. And that is why they prefer to use missiles at Kyiv / Kharkiv and bombs in Mariupol.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I might sound a bit newbie, but could the reason be just poor planing / logistics, false reports, extreme corruption and a lot of poorly qualified people at important places that resulted in inability to use the VKS well? It looked nice when it fought ISIL or during the large-scale training that gave cool TV picture, but nobody really knew how it would perform against the country with +- same technological level. How well the new planes really work? How well were they maintained? How good does the intelligence work?
There was a post somewhere (I cant find it now): USA claims that at least half of Ukrainian AA survived. I don't know how true is it, but the fact is definitely not all the missiles hit the targets as they are shot in the air. And that is why they prefer to use missiles at Kyiv / Kharkiv and bombs in Mariupol.
There have been a number of articles suggesting all is not well with the Russian military aviation programs. Their recent reasonably successful activities in the ME are no where as demanding wrt AA in Ukraine. Time will tell the actual capability of the Russian air force.

T.C.P

Low altitude ground-attack missions are hard to detect. Russia's failure isn't GBAD so much as it is poor airspace control. Russia needs to hang an A-50U in the sky 24/7, with 2-4 fighter CAPs. The problem is that Ukraine's own GBAD is unsupressed, so no A-50Us and high altitude fighter caps. Which goes back to the problem of IADS roll back and SEAD/DEAD missions. It's the challenge that was identified before any of this began. It looks like Russia tried to shut down Ukraine's IADS and air force all with missile strikes. And while it wasn't entirely ineffective, Ukraine lost lots of SAMs and aircraft, it wasn't total like it needed to be. Ukrainian airforce and air defense were disoriented and disorganized for the first several days, but surviving assets were rebased, and are now being used again. Granted the rebasing of assets also came with casualties. We have confirmed destroyed Ukrainian Buks and S-300s where it appears they were hit on the march, or while being transported. And some Ukrainian jets appear to be have been downed while performing these strikes. All in all it's not the clean air dominance situation that some might have expected. Really Russia needs to complete destruction of Ukrainian GBAD with heavy use of EW, and then take full control of the sky. But it's not clear how well this can be executed, and how willing Russia is to rely on EW to deal with the occasional surviving Buk TELAR.

The VKS went down the road of improving accuracy for unguided munitions using better targetting systems. Allegeldy they've reached comparable accuracy to first-generation PGMs. Even if strictly true, I have to ask comparable accuracy at what altitude? Also there has been a big push in the VKS to train pilots on avoiding ground-fire, especially MANPADS and AAA. In principle the VKS has done well in Syria even with unguided munitions, but this is a different situation altogether.
I remember that Russians were bragging about the capabilities of their new guidance systems that was making even their older platforms relevant, but if that was even remotely true, then why have they not been busy selling that to pretty much every single non nato nation, non US allied nation?

Most countries cant afford guided munitions and if this system was such a game changer then I would expect the Russians to make 10s of billions selling it all over the globe. Maybe I missed the news, but I don't recall them offering these guidance systems to India, Bangladesh, China, Vietnam etc or to any other nation that used significant numbers of Russian aircraft.

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 1 of 2: Tips on grounding the Russian military capabilities discussion

I might sound a bit newbie, but
1. That excuse works for the 1st 25 posts before it becomes really old. The onus is on you, having written 110 posts, to read up on the basics like Air Power 101 for New Members, instead of going around in circles. Pause, read up on the basics before sharing more.

…could the reason be just poor planing / logistics, false reports, extreme corruption…
2. @denix56, this is a bunch of unfounded conjecture that is not helpful to understanding the performance of VKS in Ukraine.

(a) VKS is not the USAF. Not useful to compare them, as they have different roles. As an analogy, the Americans, spent a million to invent a pen that can write in space, while the Russians used a pencil. Paul C. Fisher and his company, the Fisher Pen Company, reportedly invested US$1 million to create what is now commonly known as the space pen. None of this investment money came from NASA's coffers.​
(b) In Kyiv cloudy skies and snow showers continue for the next 24 hrs; which can affect VKS operations — as Russian aircraft need to fly below cloud cover to see targets. In the south mostly sunny skies will allow for increased VKS attacks.​
(c) In relation to the land campaign, Russian forces will continue to execute a slow, methodical siege-and-starve approach to Kyiv. It is now assessed the Russians will prioritize the capture of Sumy over Chernihiv to secure their supply routes. Retaining Sumy is critical for the Ukrainians as it will impede Russian ability to conduct effective operations against Kyiv.​
(d) The above map dated 10 Mar 2022, from ISW, uses the standard military approach to map conventional maneuver war, which is what Russia is waging. These maps have seen widespread use and have faced criticism for portraying the situation on the ground wrongly. The key issue being that the U.S. military use the word 'control' differ from civilian everyday use. In US Army doctrine, "control" does not mean the complete elimination of resistance in an area. That would mean "clearing" an area (FM 3-90-1). The war in Ukraine remains a conventional maneuver war while the Russians seek control of Sumy. It likely will not stay that way, once Kyiv falls under Russian control.​

…a lot of poorly qualified people at important places that resulted in inability to use the VKS well?
3. What you say might be true but without sources, this is borderline trolling. Feel free to be critical of VKS but make sure you provide sources for your claims and apply logic to arguments made, if you agree with the source.

4. The thing to remember is to avoid thinking of VKS CONOPS as a mirror image of NATO CONOPS. USAF and NATO air forces are capable but this is not a cheap system to raise, train and sustain.

Last edited:

STURM

Ukraine has also successfully shotdown a few russian high end fighters-
To be expected given that the Russians are mostly flying at medium to low level making them vulnerable to various weapon systems.

So we know the Russian AAs work to an extent.
We knew that from decades ago; wars in the Middle East, Africa, the former Soviet Union and South East Asia.

Are the S-300s of the Syrian military uselss or are they forbidden from using them against Israel by the Russians?
The question is whether the Syrians are employing them in the proper manner and what is the level of crew training?

I am afraid that the only way we will really get any proper info on Russian systems is if India or China
Both countries also operate various non Russian systems. A true gauge would be if NATO employed its SEAD/DEAD capabilities against the Russians.

Last edited:

Capt. Ironpants

The initial intention wasn't to turn it into a failed state. After Gadaffi started suppressing a rebellion the West decided he had to go. Gadaffi of course went full.circle; from a tyrant and enemy of the West, to a friend and partner [after he gave up.his WMD programme], back to tyrant and enemy of the West again. The West was under the illusion that a Libyan population which was grateful to be rid of the ''Colonel'' would be transformed into liberal democrats and would be all to eager to form a Western friendly democratic government.

It was overlooked by the West, that like in Iraq with Saddam, in Libya it was Gadaffi who held the country together. Libya under Gadaffi.was certainly not democratic but was a wealthy country with a high standard of living

Different players had slightly different end games. The West wanted a ''democratic'' Syria which which would be friendly to Israel, would sever ties with Iran and would be less Russia friendly. The Gulf Arabs couldn't care less about democracy and saw Syria mainly from the lens of the Sunni/Shia Cold War being fought against Iran. Doing away with Assad and replacing him with a Sunni dominated government would have weakened and further isolated Iran.
I just zapped everything I wrote about Libya and other adventures, as I don't want to derail this thread. Maybe I will post some of it sometime over on the other thread in a "lead up to this mess" post.

I agree with your assessments in your final paragraph.

But back to the end game now. If the US end game was truly as stated, how could they possibly be so ignorant? Even a cursory study of Libya would lead one to the conclusion that it would end up as it did. So, either the leadership in place was either wildly naive (truly believed this democracy thing would work out), or they had no viable or even reasonable plan for the end game, or they didn't mind turning Libya into a failed state (preferred it to Gadaffi). The abandoned arms depots were handy pickings for the rebels in Syria, too. Whatever they were thinking, I worry now about Ukraine.

STURM

If the US end game was truly as stated, how could they possibly be so ignorant?
As I previously stated here in DT a long time ago, the U.S. has experts, analysts and think tanks which specialise in every field known to mankind, yet the highly disastrous [especially to the locals] cockups in Iraq and Afghanistan occurred. Illusion, incompetence, arrogance, hypocrisy, hubris, wishful thinking and highly flawed shortsighted policy ruled the day. We also have Syria and Libya - in both cases the illusion was that grateful locals would transition into Western friendly liberal democrats; the West ignoring historical, social political factors driving both countries . In Syria the West was hellbent on doing away with Assad but his departure would have been filled by IS and groups like it.

The West was also seduced by the so called 'moderates' who as it turned out weren't so ''moderate'' after all and its allies were the Gulf Arabs who harped about the undemocratic and never elected Assad; despite none of them having elected governments themselves. While the West and other powers played their game; ordinary locals paid the price. On PowerPoint briefs and White House, State Department and Pentagon briefings however; everything appeared sound ..

Whatever they were thinking, I worry now about Ukraine.
The Ukraine is different; in the heart of Europe and to its Western and other flanks bordering NATO states. The West will not lose interest and its actions will be restrained given the Russian factor. Also, for all its failings and limitations as a state which was burdened by communism for decades, discrimination against non blue eyed people trying desperately to leave, certain questionable policies in the past, and other factors; the Ukraine to a large extent has stronger stage institutions and a more ingrained state identity compared to Syria and Libya.

The big challenge for the Ukraine is to ensure that it charts it's own destiny. It desires closer integration to the West but it also has to continue coexisting next to Russia and to avoid being placed in a position where other powers make key decisions for it.

Last edited:

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
Post 2 of 2: Tips on grounding the Russian military capabilities discussion

It looked nice when it fought ISIL or during the large-scale training that gave cool TV picture, but nobody really knew how it would perform against the country with +- same technological level. How well the new planes really work? How well were they maintained?
5. If the Russian fighters are not maintained, they will not be flying — platform centric discussions on the shoot down of Sukhoi aircraft, be it on the newer Sukhoi Su-34s (or older Su-30SMs), are not really useful to build a better understanding of VKS limitations and CONOPS. To-date, Russia tried unsuccessfully to shut down Ukraine's IADS and air force with missile strikes. Kindly remember that the air space of Ukraine is not forgiving, given the number of SAM systems in play.

6. Given Russian system and resource limitations, Russian sortie generation capability may be lacking, when compared to a NATO air force. Su-25SM3 units also reportedly train to employ PGMs more often than most other VKS operational-tactical aviation regiments. But both Su-34s snd Su-25SM3s still predominantly employ unguided weapons in exercises.

7. Notable that the Russian Su-34 (Bort number Red 24) shot down by Ukrainian forces over Chernihiv was armed with unguided bombs. Not necessarily surprising given continuing low-altitude tactics. Having said the above, I see no real effort to think or read (on your part), before posting — don’t just claim Russian fighters are not maintained, do some research. Think before you write. It helps make your posts more interesting.

8. In theory, according to Mason Clark (the Lead Russia Analyst at the Institute for the Study of War):

(a) “The Russian military’s main lesson from Syria is the need to gain ‘superiority of management’ in future conflicts. The Russians define superiority of management as making better decisions faster than the opponent and compelling the opponent to operate within a Russian decision framework. They assert that obtaining superiority of management will be commanders’ key focus in increasingly fast and complex conflicts. The Russian military assesses that command and control (C2) efficiency is the key predictor of success in modern and future operations.”​
(b) Many Russian lessons on C2 are new to Russia, but are not novel innovations in modern warfare. The Russian military is developing doctrines to support increased precision-strike capabilities but achieving these goals requires further costly technological investment. The United States and its allies must particularly take steps to harden logistics and command assets to mitigate the Russian military’s focus on developing capabilities to target rear areas as a key element of gaining superiority of management.​
(c) IMO, the G7, EU and NATO, should maintain sanctions pressure to deprive the Kremlin of the resources necessary to implement costly acquisitions programs.​

9. No one is perfect but if the quality of posts remains low, we may have to consider locking this thread. I would rather not allow this nonsense to continue.

Last edited:

KiwiRob

As a non Ukrainian its interesting to hear Putin say that the Ukrainians are pretty much Russians, when I personally have experienced Ukrainian culture. Why Vladimir Putin has already lost this war | Yuval Noah Harari |

As a Canadian from the prairies, specifically Southern Manitoba, I have been in contact with plenty of Ukrainian culture. My grandfather helped the Ukrainian settlers put their roots down. From the amazing food (perogies and cabbage rolls, amazing!), to the music, and even Ukrainian dance, the arts, and language. There are plenty of examples of Ukrainian culture. Our own Foreign Minister Christia Freeland is of Ukrainian heritage. The Guardian Canada pledges more military gear for Ukraine | DefenceTalk
I've been in both countries many times, I can't tell the difference, they are so incredibly similar, food, music, same same, you can cross the border between them and if you didn't see the border post you wouldn't know you'd crossed. It's not like the difference in driving between France and Germany where you instantly know you're in another country, where the food, culture, language, buildings are vastly different.