The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pig snout in a can for a Russian soldier. Maybe a sign of extreme rationing and fammine comming to Russia?
Stories like this are right up there with Russian soldiers only being issued shovels. Russia isn't even out of long range missiles. There is enough food, and if there wasn't, it wouldn't be that hard to purchase abroad. As it stands, Russia is a major food exporter, and has just signed a massive deal for food exports to China. Any issues with military rations have to do with quality control and corruption, not total availability.

EDIT; An interesting video from Lostarmour sources, showing the geolocations of dozens of destroyed Ukrainian vehicles all on the small piece of the Rabotino salient where Ukrainian forces are pushing towards Verbovoe. They count 49 destroyed vehicles there, and ~150 total in the Rabotino salient. The video is very detailed, and where available shows footage of how the vehicle was lost for each vehicle. The primary causes appear to be artillery, mines, and FPV drones. I only saw one incident that looked like an ATGM.

Last edited:

Vivendi

Latest analysis by Dara Massicot.

Gerasimov made brigades available for Avdiivka and other locations, Russians rotated some in the south suggesting there is a padding in manpower. Recent deliveries in artillery munitions from the DPRK and Russian domestic production going up this year and next could make Gerasimov feel confident that he can brute-force his way through this with shells and sacrificing storm z or regular units.

Russian advantages in mass are partially undercut by UAF precision fires, DPICM and ATACM use, deep strikes on logistics, prudent planning, and better ISR. Yet, the quantitative imbalance of available artillery shells will not improve in the near term.

Dara Massicot is also concerned about the possibility that the Russians are stockpiling long-range missiles (large salvos have not been not fired for a few months now), for future attacks this winter.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
ISW has published a PDF on the Russian ground forces Order of Battle. It is not complete, and some units are marked as speculative, but there is a huge amount of information.

Will read this when I get a chance. I am interested in their far east with respect to China. Best guess is they more or less have to accept China will be reliable as an ally albeit at a cost, discount on raw materials and maybe technology that they haven’t stolen yet.

Larry_L

Will read this when I get a chance. I am interested in their far east with respect to China. Best guess is they more or less have to accept China will be reliable as an ally albeit at a cost, discount on raw materials and maybe technology that they haven’t stolen yet.
The cost that I have run across is clear cutting of timber. Locals are complaining of Chinese loggers destroying their livelihood. I cannot find the original story back, but here is one that is similar.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
It appears Russian forces have firmly taken the refuse mound north of Avdeevka. Videos are starting to surface both from Russian and Ukrainian sources of the fight over that area. Note there is some timeline confusion. It appears that Russia initially attempted to seize the entire mound but only got a foothold, then expanded that foothold, and was finally recently able to clear the Ukrainian dug in positions on top.

I will try to do a more detailed update tonight. As of now it seems Russia is holding the rail line berm north of Avdeevka, and has a firm line of control from the mound to roughly dead-west of Krasnogorovka on the rail berm. The next step presumably will be a second push into Berdychy. In the south there are some reports of continuing Russian advances, but if true, very minor. Severnoe is still firmly in Ukrainian hands. There are reports of Ukrainian reserves massing at Pervomayskoe, and minor Russian advances there too.

EDIT: A Ukrainian FPV drone knocked down the Russian flag on the refuse mound. Which is funny, but also a poor use of this relatively scarce resources.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ukraine War Map Shows Mixed Picture As Russia's Avdiivka Losses Pile Up (newsweek.com)
Frontline report: Ukraine lost positions on Terrikon, a mount south of Avdiivka - Euromaidan Press
Latest reports from Ukrainian bloggers only conceded a partial Russian presence on the Terrikon , this is the problem of using sources that are not neutral and are part of the propaganda war itself
In the past I have found Rybar reliable and willing to admit Russian reverses. However your point is taken. In the past I provided all summaries from Rybar as "from a Russian source". I've stopped repeating myself, mostly because I assume everyone knows at this point. That having been said, there might not be a contradiction here. Either side might have delayed information. Meaning the partial Russian control being conceded could in reality be full Russian control, just not apparent yet to their sources. We've seen delayed information play itself out several times.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Couple of interesting pieces about Russian UAS. We have some answers about the state of Russian loitering munition production. After an increase to well over 100 uses in July and August, Russian lancet strikes are back down to 50-60 per month, which is what the figures for May-June look like too. It appears that the spike we saw did not represent an increase in production but instead was some saved up inventory deployed in response to Ukraine's offensive.

On the flip side, FPV drone production has increased drastically. The numbers for use look like this;

June - 96
July - 129
August - 261
September - 552
October - 378 (with the month not over yet, and allowing for a delay in videos surfacing)

It also appears that Russia has deployed a new version of the lancet. Recent videos of the Lancet strikes we've seen show the camera putting a box around the target and the words "target acquired" on the screen. This suggests, though doesn't prove, that we're looking at some sort of improvement to the target acquisition. Some sources claim this is part of new AI for the systems, to operate as part of a swarm. This might be true, but even if it is it's not particularly significant since Russia can't deploy these in large enough quantities. Development and improvement of the systems will undoubtedly continue, but so far I don't see what the significance of this is. The greater range shown in recent strikes seems far more impactful.

EDIT; another

Perhaps the only Russian presence was that flag that was planted at the cost of so many lives , time will tell
One side could walk/run/crawl up there and plant a flag. The other side had to use a drone to knock down the flag? If you had to consider who controls the territory.... ;)

But like I said, this is from a Russian source. Let's see what happens. If Ukraine still controls the area, we will get videos. If Russia control the area, the impact of Russian fires from the elevated position will also be felt and impact the tactical situation.

Last edited:

KipPotapych

Interesting tidbit with a few pounds of salt and everything that comes with the Russian sources citing RIA Novosti.

They are claiming that the first volunteer unit from the former VSU fighters that switched sides was formed and became a part of the infamous Cascade unit and have already completed the training. They are going to be sent to the frontline once they give the oath. My understanding is that there are about 50 volunteers and they are expecting more. The name of the unit is Bogdan Khmelnystky. That basically sums up the claims made in the article.

In regards to the Avdiivka in particular, as well as other offensive/counteroffensive efforts by the RU forces, I think the main and definitive take away is that they have the manpower and reserves that they think they can spare. Unlike it was reported for months now citing various “sources”, including talks about another wave of mobilization, etc. I said before it didn’t make much sense. My guess is there are many more where these came from. We shall see.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
An article mentioning the increase wrt munitions production. Supply chain issues are mentioned as a potential obstacle. Increased revenues for the companies involved but at the end of the day, who is paying for all this? Has to be done but it is a shame Western pollies have let basic infrastructure for defence kit production to waste away by only placing mining minimal orders. Not applicable to all members to the same degree. Efficient production would at least reduce the costs for Ukrainian military aid (Israeli and Taiwan too).

swerve

Super Moderator
Yeah.

I think the UK's down to one factory making artillery shells, & another one filling them. They were working one weekday shift, so there was scope to increase production considerably without expansion or more machinery, but it needed more trained workers. I think they've got the existing workforce working longer hours, & have been recruiting about as fast as they can, but I've heard that the supply of fuses is a limiting factor until production of them can catch up with demand.

seaspear

It could be interesting to consider the amount of munitions sent from North Korea to Russia and if this will enable Russia to increase its volume of artillery fire

Milne Bay

It could be interesting to consider the amount of munitions sent from North Korea to Russia and if this will enable Russia to increase its volume of artillery fire
From what I have seen mentioned here, it isn't just munitions but replacement artillery barrels as well.
Where these are to come from I do not know, but barrel wear is a serious issue for both sides
MB

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Oskol front.

No major Russian advances have taken place on the Oskol front. Localized Russian advances have occurred, but very minor. While it would have been logical for Russia to launch a major attack after their series of bridge strikes, this simply hasn't happened. Ukrainian reinforcements have been reported with however no major Ukrainian counter-attacks either.

Reportedly Ukraine has deployed over 500 000 mines on the northern front to prepare for the Russian advance there.

Ukrainian Strv 122 getting hit near Kupyansk.

Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

North of Artemovsk/Bakhmut the situation remains unchanged, with some unconfirmed reports of minor Russian advances north and west of the city. To the south however Ukraine is still pushing. As it stands it appears Ukraine now holds all of Klescheevka and Andreevka, and is trying to push past those villages. Near Andreevka there is confirmation of Ukrainian troops moving past the rail line but it's unclear if they hold those positions. It's likely the next major effort will be towards Kurdyumovka. There are also reports of increased Ukrainian FPV drone activity in the area. While the situation doesn't currently threaten Russia's hold on the city, further advances could.

Near Klescheevka, Ukraine tried to haul away a knocked out Russian T-90M but ended up losing two of their own MBTs in the process, a PT-91 and a T-72.

North of Artemovsk/Bakhmut a Russian BMP-2 hits a landmine allegedly deployed from a Ukrainian UAV. The vehicle is damaged and the driver wounded but it's not destroyed.

A Ukrainian Mi-24V went down near Chasov Yar, no context on why.

Avdeevka.

Russia's primary offensive at Avdeevka has halted completely. Russia continues to hold the area up to the rail berm, and the refuse mount. However the advantage of these elevated positions is limited by the significant more elevated factory building in the north of Avdeevka. Ukrainian counter-attacks are being reported but with nothing significant changing hands yet. In the south-west there are reports of continuing Russian efforts around Vodyanoe-Opytnoe area. And in the south-east Russia has advanced right up to the city, appears to have overrun at least one Ukrainian line of fortifications (footage from captured Ukrainian bunkers posted previously). Advancing further on this direction would likely involve Artemovsk/Bakhmut - like tactics of assault teams and overwhelming use of artillery/airstrikes. Ukraine's elite 47th Bde has shown up in the area, after the 31st mech. This is the second brigade sent as reinforcements to the area.

Russian assault team, an MBT with a mine trawl and two BMPs, likely carrying the assault team, advancing near Avdeevka.

Ukrainian social media sources confirm heavy casualties for Ukrainian units in Avdeevka while also pointing out heavy Russian casulaties.

Some UAV combat footage from the Russian side.

Russian infantry assaulting Ukrainian trenches near the refuse mound. Old footage from before the fall of the mound.

A Ukrainian counter-attack north of Avdeevka with the destruction of two tanks.

Russian FPV drone strike on a Ukrainian MBT near Vodyanoe.

Ukrainian Leopards have shown up near Avdeevka, likely the 47th Bde. One is already knocked out. They're apparently carrying extra armor.

Ukraine's 47th near Avdeevka. Note they now have WarPac small arms, whereas previously they were seen with NATO weapons. The unit reportedly took heavy losses in Zaporozhye, and it's likely they were reinforced with fresh forces with different kit.

A couple of BMPTs with a roof-cage over the under-protected turret, reportedly operating south of Avdeevka. It's unclear how many of the vehicles remain active and there is no information of more of them being produced. Reasonably speaking this project should be buried as a result of this war.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zaporozhye.

Russia has conducted some limited counter-attacks on the Vremyevskiy bulge regaining some ground. Ukraine had halted all offensive actions here for quite some time. So far these appear to be opportunistic tactical moves.

The Rabotino salient seems to have descended into a stalemate. Some local Russian counter-attacks have regained small areas but overall there doesn't seem to be much movement in either direction. Ukraine is still sending forces into the area. However the elite 47th Bde has been moved to Avdeevka.

In the Rabotino salient a Ukrainian unit riding Leo-2A4s with K-1 has shown up and has lost 4 of them. 3 were lost to FPV drones, a fourth seems to have been destroyed trying to evacuate one of the other 4.

Kherson.

Ukraine continues to hold three bridge heads across the Dnepr. One is near the village of Poyma, one is near the rail bridge, the last is inside the village of Krynki. In each case we are talking about light infantry elements supplied by and reinforced by small boats. Russia has been unable to dislodge these forces with counter-attacks though its unclear how hard they're trying. Russia is striking boats with drones, and using artillery and airstrikes against Ukrainian forces on both sides of the river.

The commander of Russia's Dnepr grouping has been replaced, and reportedly General Teplinskiy, commander of the VDV, has been placed in charge of it. Presumably this suggests that the bridgeheads Ukraine holds there are of more concern to Russian leadership then they appear to be to me.

Other interesting tidbits.

Strange reports have emerged from the Russian side. Russian military is claiming they have shot down 24 Ukrainian jet but a deployment of the new 40N6 missile in conjunction with the A-50 (U I think). This is essentially a claim of over-the-horizon SAM launches against targets observed by the AEW. While it's highly likely the number is drastically overstated there are unconfirmed reports of decreased Ukrainian air sortie rates after this incident.

Mystery HE-FRAG shells 122 and 152mm have shown up in Russia, possibly Iranian.

Russian VDV in the war zone training with their new T-72B3 mod'23s (note the new standard roof cages) and Tayfun-VDV MRAPs with 30mm autocannons.

A damaged Russian Tor SAM, after getting hit by a GMLRS. Note it's definitely repairable.

A Russian T-72B3 mod'22 with all the fixings, including a Sosna-U sight.

An interesting Russian BTR-82AT with all the kit, including slat armor, and extra armor panels. Note this vehicle also carries thermals.

After a long absence Russia has resumed use of 240mm Smel'chak guided mortar shells. It's likely Russia exhausted stocks, and has now produced more. Russia is using Orlan-30 UAVs to paint the targets.

Recent reports on the use of the TOS-2 thermobaric MLRS reveal a munition range of over 20kms for the newest rockets. I.e. Russia now operates 3 MLRS all roughly in the same niche, all on different chassis, and with incompatible munitions. One is the traditional Grad, and its upgrade the Tornado-G, one is the Zemledelie remote minelayer, and one is the TOS-2. By any rhyme or reason these should all be one system with different munitions.

Interesting footage of a Ukrainian officer from the 92nd Mech Bde reporting that Russia has a massive advantage in quantities of FPV drones, often using them as "air on station" and effectievly paralyzing the movement of vehicles.

A recent Russian strike suggests that Russia has successfully deployed the Kh-38M missile on the Ka-52 attack helo. In principle this makes sense and the Kh-38M seems to be the new darling of the Russian airforce.

Russian Triton EW on a pickup truck. EW on individual vehicles to protect from FPV drones is starting to spread.

A lonely Ukrainian M-240 mortar and a reloading vehicle on an UAZ van for it.

Larry_L

While support for Ukraine is being fought over in the US house, confiscated arms from smugglers only requires transportation. Here Iranian 122mm rounds originally from Iran are unpacked and polished for use against Russian forces.

Russian defense forces at the Crimean Bridge seem to be nervous today. It appears to be only defensive smoke.

For what it is worth, here is Dons weekly three part update on Ukraine, from several days ago, and Tom's update from today. It is confirmed that Russia now holds the slag heap, although some cost. Warning: Tom is not shy about posting links of dead or dying bodies. Some of this is worth a look just for the images, and unit information.

In part 3 there is an allegation that Ukraine is expecting long range ATACMS in January.

And Toms take on what is happening at Avdivka.