Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

hauritz

Even though it was NVL that actually put forward the idea the C90 looks like the obvious path to go down. It has 70% commonality with the Arafura and would probably be the fastest path to a corvette sized vessel.
I would see it as more of a transitional ship however. C90s now and something like the Type 31 in the 2030s.

76mmGuns

Well, things are often done for the point of Optics or speed.

Building a ship requires usually a decade or more relationship to build up, which is usually part of the tender purpose.

Right now the Australian defence industry is hugely upset about the DSR. They feel like governments, of both persuasions are trying to kill their businesses, and kill them.

The appetite for some wacky new arrangement that cuts existing suppliers out is very low. We aren't talking about unions or laborers here, but entire businesses and entire sections of the manufacturing economy. We are talking about completely wiping our the delicate defence industry (and those related to it) in Australia which has taken, more than 80 years to get where it is, and its barely hanging on.

In the type of war we are going into, having no logistically, or sovereign build capability is pointless. You might as well sink your navy before the enemy does. So ordering from existing projects that have significant Australian supply chains are strongly encouraged. It will speed up the project and make it more durable capability long term.
AIDN seems a bit unusual.... "calls on the Government to take real action in supporting and growing Australia’s sovereign defence industry and boosting Australia’s dwindling defence budget. "

Dwindling? Is there a way of reading the budget numbers I'm not aware of? Hasn't it been going up? Unless AIDN means money going to certain members is reduced, or it's not jumping up the same way it is in Japan? (yes, I know Japan is laying catch up boosting from 1->2% gdp. But tht doesn't stop people from looking at one aspect and ignoring another)

Morgo

AIDN seems a bit unusual.... "calls on the Government to take real action in supporting and growing Australia’s sovereign defence industry and boosting Australia’s dwindling defence budget. "

Dwindling? Is there a way of reading the budget numbers I'm not aware of? Hasn't it been going up? Unless AIDN means money going to certain members is reduced, or it's not jumping up the same way it is in Japan? (yes, I know Japan is laying catch up boosting from 1->2% gdp. But tht doesn't stop people from looking at one aspect and ignoring another)
Correct. The Defence budget is not dwindling at all. Just bleating about their troughs not being refilled fast enough.

Morgo

What I may want and what I think we will get are two different things.
Increase in large major warship numbers would be desirable, but nothing this side of 2040.
What will we get?
Realistically a medium gun for the Arafura Class and I'd suspect this Class will be divided into two tranches, with a larger version {enhanced] with a bit more clout.
Probably with a dedicated helicopter hangar and some modest bolt on bits.

As stated where's the money!

Looking at Army and Airforce post DSR, I have low expectations for Navy.

SSN's have a price.

Cheers S
I think there is some reason for hope.

The Government has made it clear that:
- Increasing Defence spending is one of their key fiscal priorities along with containing the NDIS and debt servicing
- Army is not a priority (“no land war in Qld” etc) and received the bulk of the (fairly modest) cuts in the DSR
- the RAAF is pretty well modernised already. Didn’t need a radical change of course.
- Consulting / Outsourcing spend in Defence is pretty extreme - one third of the budget(!) - and is getting lots of heat.
- the surface force got its own review.

Put all those things together and I would conclude that there will be a real increase in the budget coming, and efficiency dividends from consulting spend. This will obviously partly go to SSNs, but I’m hopeful of significant funding being put behind an expanded surface force structure.

Aardvark144

Correct. The Defence budget is not dwindling at all. Just bleating about their troughs not being refilled fast enough.
The Defence Budget may look to be increasing as the economy increases; however, as a percentage of GDP it is not increasing and will not over the forward estimates. I believe that is the crux of the issue.

Morgo

The Defence Budget may look to be increasing as the economy increases; however, as a percentage of GDP it is not increasing and will not over the forward estimates. I believe that is the crux of the issue.
Nope. It is.

All numbers below in nominal billions and are sourced from the Budget Papers and ABS.

22/2323/2424/2525/2626/27
Defence budget 40,059 42,850 44,568 49,465 48,840
Nominal GDP 2,502,819 2,534,104 2,597,457 2,662,393 2,728,953
% of GDP
1.60%​
1.69%​
1.72%​
1.86%​
1.79%​

Aardvark144

Nope. It is.

All numbers below in nominal billions and are sourced from the Budget Papers and ABS.

22/2323/2424/2525/2626/27
Defence budget 40,059 42,850 44,568 49,465 48,840
Nominal GDP 2,502,819 2,534,104 2,597,457 2,662,393 2,728,953
% of GDP
1.60%​
1.69%​
1.72%​
1.86%​
1.79%​
Happy to be corrected (but only just). I would not be skipping down the yellow brick road with those numbers in the least. 1.19% increase over the forward estimates is nowhere near enough to cover existing and emerging capability. How are we going to cover SSNs, revitalising the surface fleet, long strike strike, increasing support to DFAT and and increasing the workforce amongst others. It is fine for the Government to state Defence is a priority, we need urgent action, 'the time is now etc etc; however, trickle feeding Defence is not putting money where their mouth is.

Last edited:

ddxx

Even though it was NVL that actually put forward the idea the C90 looks like the obvious path to go down. It has 70% commonality with the Arafura and would probably be the fastest path to a corvette sized vessel.
I would see it as more of a transitional ship however. C90s now and something like the Type 31 in the 2030s.
I don't really see a huge time benefit for their proposal.

The C90 has a roughly similar scheduled build time (steel cut to delivery) to the Arrowhead 140, which is built to full Lloyd's Register Naval Standards.

I have big questions regarding the Luerssen's C90 claims. The idea that a ~2,300 tonne design can somehow accommodate CEAFAR, have a greater weapons fit than Anzac, and have space/weight left over for enough fuel and stores for our range and endurance requirements is incredibly hard to believe.

Their crew size claim also doesn't add up considering the less complex OPV 90 it's based upon requires a larger crew.

Stampede

I don't really see a huge time benefit for their proposal.

The C90 has a roughly similar scheduled build time (steel cut to delivery) to the Arrowhead 140, which is built to full Lloyd's Register Naval Standards.

I have big questions regarding the Luerssen's C90 claims. The idea that a ~2,300 tonne design can somehow accommodate CEAFAR, have a greater weapons fit than Anzac, and have space/weight left over for enough fuel and stores for our range and endurance requirements is incredibly hard to believe.

Their crew size claim also doesn't add up considering the less complex OPV 90 it's based upon requires a larger crew.
I feel the comparison for the suggested OPV 90 is really against the existing OPV 80 and not something considerably bigger.
I think most of us get the sale pitch and what is a reasonable expectation for any given sized ship..

Would be interesting as to what a realistic build schedule would be for a Arrowhead 140 while still continuing the Hunter class and other defence maritime projects.

Cheers S

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That’s a very good question. Based on the Brit experience, and assuming you didn’t make massive changes, I would have thought you should be able to deliver the first ship shortly before 2030 with follow ons possibly at one year intervals - although that wouldn’t provide a long term sustainable workload at the site.

Reptilia

RN- First steel cut late 2021, first ship expected 2025, 5th and final ship 2030.
In a highly efficient ship building facility, 1 a year is not out of the question. Civmec is not that though, drumbeat- 1 every 2 years potentially, 3-4 years after finalising the design.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Wow!

I've been busy over the last week filling my old brain with knew knowledge and lost track of this thread, I think it will take me a month to read back through it all.

A simple fact on crew size, the minimum is set by the systems that need to be operated and maintained, over and above what is required to drive the ship. If the platform is too small for the systems selected, it's not going to work.

My two cents over three posts:
1. History plus general outline.
2. Minor warfare vessels
3. Major combatants.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Looking back first, but only for two paragraphs.

Australia under invested badly in defence in the 1920s and early/mid 1930s, then tried to play catch up in the late 30s. There were some successes and many failures.

Naval plans were basically to build eight Tribal class large destroyers, a large number of small, seaward defence vessels, and a battleship. We got three Tribals, lots of Buthurst class corvettes, plus twelve follow on frigates and the battleship was never started.

What am I saying, easy, history shows when you underinvest for extended periods of time, you lose the capacity to rapidly recover and rebuild.

To my point of view, we currently have a plan, it's not perfect, it should have started earlier, been better funded, and have had a different focus, but it does exist and is currently progressing.

Disrupting it will cost time and money. Capability will drop even further while we change direction.

My solution, carry on with the current plan with a couple of tweaks, while developing a follow-on plan and building the capability to implement it.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Minor Warfare Vessels

First and foremost, stop referring to the OPVs, prospective tarted up OPVs, corvettised OPVs, speculative actual corvettes and slightly bigger light frigates as tier 2 combatants. Never ever think of them as second tier major combatants. Keep it simple, call them Minor Warfare Vessels, or better still, Defence Vessels. They are not warships and if we are thinking or, let alone actually using them as warships, we have already lost.

Conversely, China is repurposing frigates as coast guard vessels, note the difference in thinking.

As an interim, keep building Arafuras, but develop a bolt on upgrade package, trialing it as soon as possible on one of the early hulls. Do not upgrade all of them, just have the demonstrated ability to do so.

Tweek the design of later hulls to be more flexible and suitable for adaption if required, fit it but not with. Not corvettes, but more survivable defence vessels, with facility for mine warfare, survey, and support missions. Especially investigate option for litoral support of the Army units we are meant to be sailing out and about in the region.

Steel is cheap, air is free. Going forward, seriously look at a modern APD, a fast transport option to support army, inadition to other critical, but not fleet on fleet warfare. Not necessarily an OPV derivative, maybe this is where the Arrowhead would fit. Even look at very small auxillary helicopter and UAV carriers to work in this area along side the minor warfare vessels.

Basically look outside the square at how to achieve the required capability rather than just going bigger, fewer versions of what went before.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Major Combatants

Continue with Hunter, build in batches with tweeks to a sustainable tack time. Keep and upgrade the Hobart's.

Oh, reclassify both classes as tier 2 major combatants.

Back in the late 80s, early 90s, when things were much more benign than they are now, it was determined we needed a minimum of 16 or 17, regionally superior (I know it wasn't stated but it was fact) major combatants.

Back then our DDGs were better than anything anyone other than Japan had, and the FFGs were no slouches. Even the ANZACs, fitted for but not with, were more capable than many nations first tier warships.

Now, we have fewer ships and, though individually more capable, they do not compare as well to what others operate, often in greater numbers.

Time for a rebalance.

Instead of looking for a cheaper supplement for Hunter and Hobart, whole gnashing our teeth that previous governments coulda, shoulda, woulda, just accept that our first tier is in reality, made up of second tier ships.

Now accepting this, initiate an acquisition process to build a new, worthy, first tier.

No brainer, let's say five (bringing major numbers up to 17) or more large, multi role warships that do everything we need them to do. ABM, air defence, ASW as well as providing cover, command and and control for the RANs tier 2 warships and minor/defence vessels.

Next, look outside the square.

Assuming the RAN has acquired auxillary small helicopter /UAV carriers and proven the technology, when it comes time look at replacing the Hobart's with a survivable helicopter/UAV carrier, or even, shock horror, an actual light aircraft carrier, capable of operating STOVL combat aircraft, helicopters and UAVs.

I am not talking about changing everything and having it in service by 2030, rather follow the current plan, and add to it if thing continue to become more challenging and threatening.

Shanesworld

Minor Warfare Vessels

First and foremost, stop referring to the OPVs, prospective tarted up OPVs, corvettised OPVs, speculative actual corvettes and slightly bigger light frigates as tier 2 combatants. Never ever think of them as second tier major combatants. Keep it simple, call them Minor Warfare Vessels, or better still, Defence Vessels. They are not warships and if we are thinking or, let alone actually using them as warships, we have already lost.

Conversely, China is repurposing frigates as coast guard vessels, note the difference in thinking.

As an interim, keep building Arafuras, but develop a bolt on upgrade package, trialing it as soon as possible on one of the early hulls. Do not upgrade all of them, just have the demonstrated ability to do so.

Tweek the design of later hulls to be more flexible and suitable for adaption if required, fit it but not with. Not corvettes, but more survivable defence vessels, with facility for mine warfare, survey, and support missions. Especially investigate option for litoral support of the Army units we are meant to be sailing out and about in the region.

Steel is cheap, air is free. Going forward, seriously look at a modern APD, a fast transport option to support army, inadition to other critical, but not fleet on fleet warfare. Not necessarily an OPV derivative, maybe this is where the Arrowhead would fit. Even look at very small auxillary helicopter and UAV carriers to work in this area along side the minor warfare vessels.

Basically look outside the square at how to achieve the required capability rather than just going bigger, fewer versions of what went before.
Regards upgrade package- what do you have in mind? Just off the cuff?

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
For those of you proponents of building extra classes of ship, expanding capabilities of existing ships, buying new ships in a 3-5 year time frame etc etc etc, I would like you all to stop with your current line of thinking and read this :
Retention in the Australian Defence Force
then read this :
Defence’s biggest capability worry? Building its workforce
and then read this :
Churn concern as Australian Defence Force tackles ‘scary’ troop shortfall
in particular, read and absorb these lines :
"They revealed a separation rate from the ADF of 11.3 per cent, which amounted to 6600 people leaving every year.
The defence force was also falling behind in its recruitment target, estimating it will get to 73 per cent.
The defence department was also 600 short of the public servants needed."

Now tell me how you're going to achieve these fleet expansions in this personnel recruitment environment ? Because big grey steel harbingers of death are useless without trained & experienced sailors to man and fight them. Nothing I hear from my friends still serving at the WO level in workforce management gives me any indication that any extra fleet platform expansion is remotely possible, particularly by 2030.
So can we dial back this fantasy fleet speculation already ? Pages and pages of this discussion and debate and to what end ? Sorry for the rant but I find this endless pie in the sky "what if" stuff a bit exhausting after a while.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't understand why we built OPV80's in the first place. The OPV90 is basically the same cost, has better range, better sea keeping, a hangar. Of all the OPV proposals, we choose the least capable and smallest. If there was one thing that Damen, Lurrsen and Fassmer agreed on it is they had to cut down existing small OPV designs to meet requirements. They had to de-content and simplify, which increased cost and increased risk, against their recommendations to build a smaller less capable boat.

I apart from spending and additional ~$100m for the remaining 6 ships hulls. I don't understand why people would be against the idea of going from an OPV80 to an OPV90. Weapons are of course, extra. Even if the weapons were never fitted, you would still have a more capable, longer range, longer endurance, ship. Able to embark a helicopter or large drones.

Going from a OPV80 to A140 or a Burke, or a Ford class carrier was never an option. Going with a different designer, prime contractor was never an option.

The OPV's are costing $3.5b if we build them or not. So we are getting 12 ships from NVL built at Civmec.

To select a new platform like a destroyer or frigate, it will cost ~$3billion and 5 years just to select it before any steel is cut. That is how much money is required to assess, specify, contract, bring on SMEs, tool them up, bring everything up to modern codes, configure the existing yard to build the design, etc. So when someone suggests why don't we build some Arrow140's, it takes 5 years and $3b to make that decision. Before making any ships. So if we are suggesting, just quickly build 4 A140's, that is 5 years and $3b to decide to do that, then probably $1b per ship and 2 years. So that 4 ship build now costs $7 billion and 9 years.

The Hobarts/F-105 are designed to be in a 4-6 ship class. Norway built 4 mini-Hobart's. Spain planned for 6, built 5, they were meant to replace their FFG's. Australia planned 4, built 3. There is no point in building 6 as the ship is compromised for a navy with that number of those ships. It also makes no sense to build less than 4 as you will loose capability when you upgrade, deep maintenance the ships. Everyone involved with that project was hoping, expecting 4 ships, so cutting it down to 3 is a huge loss. You can build new Hobarts, yes, its a pain and expensive, and they won't be the same. Alvaro de Bazan was laid down in 1999. The last Crtiobal Colon, F-105 was 8 years later and is a very different ship to the first of class. It has different engines, a bow thruster, different small guns, different radar, different hangar, different flight deck, different ASW, different layouts in part of the ship, different contractors, slightly different fitout.

The Hunter is a general purpose ship. Cutting numbers and selecting a new platform will waste the more than $3billion we have spent so far. We can work with BAE about building a bigger evolved version of the ship, but killing the project, shooting BAE and building A140 will cost Australia ~$20 billion in broken contracts, will make all Australian supplier hit the wall and result in another ~6 years before a ship appears. If anything we should build more Hobarts from an Industry point of view.

Fundamentally with 3 destroyers, we are underequipped with destroyers 3 DDG's effectively replaced with 6 FFG's replaced with 3 Hobart's. With the Anzacs, we are under equipped with old ships and few in number. We knew that getting away from a peacetime fleet would require naval growth.

CIVMEC is a steel shaping business. Ship making is something they are actually fairly new at. They are great at oil and gas projects, and it makes sense that minor ships get built there, and they can take on oil and gas and mining projects between ship building contracts or alongside ship building contracts. They bought Forgacs, but most of their experience was well in the past, and on the east coast at Newcastle. But their SME support networks are mostly based around Newcastle. Companies aren't islands unto themselves. Getting them to setup WA offices or relocate to WA would require surety of work. Given how chaotic defence procurement and ship building in Australia, I doubt many would jump over to WA, where there is basically very little civilian work, while the east coast has all of Sydney, melb, surfers, Brisbane, all the of the pacific nations, New Zealand to provide work. Perth is an island effectively to itself, it is ultra remote.

They, CIVMEC could shape the steel for a Queen Elizabeth carrier, no worries. They would love that. They could probably do it faster than anyone on the planet. But they don't have the ship building experience, in all those other things like ship systems, specialist wiring, specialist plumbing, integrating all of those, have 30 different trades crawling all over them ships finishing them off. It is a metal fabricating yard with some ship building capabilities. Many of those finishing non-structural services are provided by SME's and contractors that are providing the item and its installation and its long term logistical support.

Small ships like OPV's, landing craft, AOR are ideal to build at CIVMEC Henderson. But Henderson doesn't have all the support stuff for destroyers and really, really complex ships. They would need support for something like a destroyer.

For a destroyer, it may be easier to tow the near finished hull or blocks to either Sydney/Newcastle, Osborne, or another country to finish it off in a reasonable time. Any destroyer at Henderson would have to be after the OPV's, and most likely require another yard to assist in finishing off, unless we are flying in flying out every single contractor.

For people who want to be reminded what an pain an overseas build can be, look at Antarctic ship Nuyina built by Damen.

At least with the OPV90 will have a ship in the water, it won't cost a lot, it won't take long and it will be cheap to operate. Many of these other ideas won't work.

Government appears to require education on this issue. I can't seem to see a solution in their multi tier solution.

IF you don't like the Hobart then get a time machine. If you don't like the hunter, get a time machine. If you want to blame someone for the lack of 4th, we need a time machine If you don't like the OPV's and NVL, we need a time machine. IF you want to get the 10 years and $3billion+ we wasted on the French with the attack class, get a time machine. Sure there is a lot of people I think we should take out the back and shoot, but it won't change now. We are stuck where we are now. No other designs can just appear out thin air with SME's and new primes that make delivery of any ship in <10 years, particularly something like a destroyer, possible.

If we want to significantly change the RAN, we will have to do it with what we have, with the actors whom we have poured billions and years into and are now features of the landscape like the Sydney opera house is.

The good news is, Navantia, BAE or NVL are willing to help. That most (95%) of the blame for disasters/costs in naval planning and ship building lead directly to political interference and decision making rather than engineering or manufacturing issues.

There are solutions, but they are unsexy. They are platforms we basically already have made by primes/yards/contractors/smes who are already making ships. To change those takes 5-10 years and billions, and the SME's are already against the wall because of all the changes that have affected them.

hauritz

RN- First steel cut late 2021, first ship expected 2025, 5th and final ship 2030.
In a highly efficient ship building facility, 1 a year is not out of the question. Civmec is not that though, drumbeat- 1 every 2 years potentially, 3-4 years after finalising the design.
The Anzac frigate design selected in 1989, first steel cut in 1993, first ship delivered in 1996. That is 7 years from selection to commission. All 10 ships were delivered by 2006 effectively at a rate of one a year. At the same time we were heavily involved in the construction of the Collins submarine.

Has our ship building industry become that much less efficient since then?

If the government were to come out at the end of next month and say that we are going to make it a national priority to start building Type 31s would it really be that unreasonable to expect the first ship to enter service before the end of the decade?

hauritz

I don't understand why we built OPV80's in the first place. The OPV90 is basically the same cost, has better range, better sea keeping, a hangar. Of all the OPV proposals, we choose the least capable and smallest. If there was one thing that Damen, Lurrsen and Fassmer agreed on it is they had to cut down existing small OPV designs to meet requirements. They had to de-content and simplify, which increased cost and increased risk, against their recommendations to build a smaller less capable boat.

I apart from spending and additional ~$100m for the remaining 6 ships hulls. I don't understand why people would be against the idea of going from an OPV80 to an OPV90. Weapons are of course, extra. Even if the weapons were never fitted, you would still have a more capable, longer range, longer endurance, ship. Able to embark a helicopter or large drones.

Going from a OPV80 to A140 or a Burke, or a Ford class carrier was never an option. Going with a different designer, prime contractor was never an option.

The OPV's are costing $3.5b if we build them or not. So we are getting 12 ships from NVL built at Civmec.

To select a new platform like a destroyer or frigate, it will cost ~$3billion and 5 years just to select it before any steel is cut. That is how much money is required to assess, specify, contract, bring on SMEs, tool them up, bring everything up to modern codes, configure the existing yard to build the design, etc. So when someone suggests why don't we build some Arrow140's, it takes 5 years and $3b to make that decision. Before making any ships. So if we are suggesting, just quickly build 4 A140's, that is 5 years and $3b to decide to do that, then probably $1b per ship and 2 years. So that 4 ship build now costs $7 billion and 9 years.

The Hobarts/F-105 are designed to be in a 4-6 ship class. Norway built 4 mini-Hobart's. Spain planned for 6, built 5, they were meant to replace their FFG's. Australia planned 4, built 3. There is no point in building 6 as the ship is compromised for a navy with that number of those ships. It also makes no sense to build less than 4 as you will loose capability when you upgrade, deep maintenance the ships. Everyone involved with that project was hoping, expecting 4 ships, so cutting it down to 3 is a huge loss. You can build new Hobarts, yes, its a pain and expensive, and they won't be the same. Alvaro de Bazan was laid down in 1999. The last Crtiobal Colon, F-105 was 8 years later and is a very different ship to the first of class. It has different engines, a bow thruster, different small guns, different radar, different hangar, different flight deck, different ASW, different layouts in part of the ship, different contractors, slightly different fitout.

The Hunter is a general purpose ship. Cutting numbers and selecting a new platform will waste the more than $3billion we have spent so far. We can work with BAE about building a bigger evolved version of the ship, but killing the project, shooting BAE and building A140 will cost Australia ~$20 billion in broken contracts, will make all Australian supplier hit the wall and result in another ~6 years before a ship appears. If anything we should build more Hobarts from an Industry point of view.

Fundamentally with 3 destroyers, we are underequipped with destroyers 3 DDG's effectively replaced with 6 FFG's replaced with 3 Hobart's. With the Anzacs, we are under equipped with old ships and few in number. We knew that getting away from a peacetime fleet would require naval growth.

CIVMEC is a steel shaping business. Ship making is something they are actually fairly new at. They are great at oil and gas projects, and it makes sense that minor ships get built there, and they can take on oil and gas and mining projects between ship building contracts or alongside ship building contracts. They bought Forgacs, but most of their experience was well in the past, and on the east coast at Newcastle. But their SME support networks are mostly based around Newcastle. Companies aren't islands unto themselves. Getting them to setup WA offices or relocate to WA would require surety of work. Given how chaotic defence procurement and ship building in Australia, I doubt many would jump over to WA, where there is basically very little civilian work, while the east coast has all of Sydney, melb, surfers, Brisbane, all the of the pacific nations, New Zealand to provide work. Perth is an island effectively to itself, it is ultra remote.

They, CIVMEC could shape the steel for a Queen Elizabeth carrier, no worries. They would love that. They could probably do it faster than anyone on the planet. But they don't have the ship building experience, in all those other things like ship systems, specialist wiring, specialist plumbing, integrating all of those, have 30 different trades crawling all over them ships finishing them off. It is a metal fabricating yard with some ship building capabilities. Many of those finishing non-structural services are provided by SME's and contractors that are providing the item and its installation and its long term logistical support.

Small ships like OPV's, landing craft, AOR are ideal to build at CIVMEC Henderson. But Henderson doesn't have all the support stuff for destroyers and really, really complex ships. They would need support for something like a destroyer.

For a destroyer, it may be easier to tow the near finished hull or blocks to either Sydney/Newcastle, Osborne, or another country to finish it off in a reasonable time. Any destroyer at Henderson would have to be after the OPV's, and most likely require another yard to assist in finishing off, unless we are flying in flying out every single contractor.

For people who want to be reminded what an pain an overseas build can be, look at Antarctic ship Nuyina built by Damen.

At least with the OPV90 will have a ship in the water, it won't cost a lot, it won't take long and it will be cheap to operate. Many of these other ideas won't work.

Government appears to require education on this issue. I can't seem to see a solution in their multi tier solution.

IF you don't like the Hobart then get a time machine. If you don't like the hunter, get a time machine. If you want to blame someone for the lack of 4th, we need a time machine If you don't like the OPV's and NVL, we need a time machine. IF you want to get the 10 years and $3billion+ we wasted on the French with the attack class, get a time machine. Sure there is a lot of people I think we should take out the back and shoot, but it won't change now. We are stuck where we are now. No other designs can just appear out thin air with SME's and new primes that make delivery of any ship in <10 years, particularly something like a destroyer, possible.

If we want to significantly change the RAN, we will have to do it with what we have, with the actors whom we have poured billions and years into and are now features of the landscape like the Sydney opera house is.

The good news is, Navantia, BAE or NVL are willing to help. That most (95%) of the blame for disasters/costs in naval planning and ship building lead directly to political interference and decision making rather than engineering or manufacturing issues.

There are solutions, but they are unsexy. They are platforms we basically already have made by primes/yards/contractors/smes who are already making ships. To change those takes 5-10 years and billions, and the SME's are already against the wall because of all the changes that have affected them.
Absolutely, the priority has to be ships in the water. The RAN is currently down to just 34 commissioned vessels and a sizeable number of those are about to age out of service.