Australian Army Discussions and Updates

Nudge

Hi Im hoping you might be able to help me.
I feel you may have been at Kapooka during the same period as my older brother he was in Charlie company 28 platoon? (I hope that's the correct terminology.
His name is Stephen Byrne and unfortunately recently passed away and was hoping to get some old pic's of him and company.

Cheers
Hi rayb59,

RAAF-ies have a Deaths and Funeral page on Facebook; It often has past colleagues sharing memories and pictures. There would probably be something similar for Army to help you in your search.

Best wishes to Stephen's and your families.

Armchair

As I see it, excepting a response to a territorial incursion Army is effectively expeditionary.
That is the stated role for 1st Division. 2nd Division (army reserve) is tasked with defending northern Australia (links in the thread above). Plenty of caveats about the reduced anticipated ability of both to perform their missions (some would say Army is “ineffectively expeditionary”)

The current garrison structures are just that, garrison or basing and training formations, not the intended deployment formations.
That is debated in the thread. Long term, better informed than me posters such as ADMk2 argue that it Is a peacetime basing that is not at all suited to operations, and is not preparation a real threat (Takao). Many other problems are raised by many posters. The Australian gov’t including Army says it is training for how it will fight. My belief is that the structures are how they would intend to deploy but the planned organization of 3 Bde is demonstrative (the regional power, a close ally of a hyperpower, is buying new tanks, ifvs, sphs, and attack helicopters - it is putting every single one of those in its northern major army base on the Coral Sea).

The Brigades won’t be deployed as an entirety (this hasn’t happened since WW2, perhaps Korea, correct?).
I need to re read some histories in response to an earlier post so this is a placeholder to be corrected if necessary.
I think 3 Bde deployed in its entirety in East Timor in 1999[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Maranoa

That's the difference between the Aussie and NZ armies during WW2. We had an armoured division in Europe and a part one in the Pacific. We used tanks in the islands against the Japanese.
New Zealand hardly fought the Japanese on the ground at all and its combat operations were insignificant in comparison to Australian Military Forces which were engaged in multiple/multi divisional operations at every stage from Dec 41 to August 45. There were 12 Australian combat brigades in PNG at any one time from late 42 to early 45, most in close contact with the enemy. Occupying Green Island, mopping up Vella Lavella after the Yanks left and occupying Treasury Island and a few other atolls after the Japs all but pulled out of the central and northern Solomons in August 1943, while useful, did not actually contribute meaningfully to the Pacific War beyond the admittedly important alliance/ political optics. I know much of this was outside New Zealand's control due to US denial of missions, but it is a hard reality.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
New Zealand hardly fought the Japanese on the ground at all and its combat operations were insignificant in comparison to Australian Military Forces which were engaged in multiple/multi divisional operations at every stage from Dec 41 to August 45. There were 12 Australian combat brigades in PNG at any one time from late 42 to early 45, most in close contact with the enemy. Occupying Green Island, mopping up Vella Lavella after the Yanks left and occupying Treasury Island and a few other atolls after the Japs all but pulled out of the central and northern Solomons in August 1943, while useful, did not actually contribute meaningfully to the Pacific War beyond the admittedly important alliance/ political optics. I know much of this was outside New Zealand's control due to US denial of missions, but it is a hard reality.
That said the NZ Corps built up around the NZ 2nd Division did fight in Italy until the end of hostilities there.

2nd Div included an Armoured Brigade as well, so that's something else they had and did that Australia didn't.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That said the NZ Corps built up around the NZ 2nd Division did fight in Italy until the end of hostilities there.

2nd Div included an Armoured Brigade as well, so that's something else they had and did that Australia didn't.
The 3rd NZ Division was active in the Pacific including a sea borne landing on green Island. It was latter down graded to a brigade with attached extra's, eg tanks and due to manpower issues was later with drawn. Unlike Australia, NZ did not withdraw all it's troops from Europe as the US asked that they stay with the proviso that a US Marine division was posted to NZ for home defence.
In the Pacific the NZ main forces apart from the 3rd division were 24 RNZAF squadrons, RNZN. 2 cruisers, a mine sweeping flotilla, 3 , later 5 corvettes and a flotilla of ML's. In Europe, Them NZ army corps, 8 squadrons and a large naval contingent in the RN. All from a population of about 1.6M.
3rd Division's history, I know it's wiki, but it does tally with my memory.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
That's not really the case. The 2nd New Zealand Division was formed as an infantry division. One of its infantry brigades was converted to armoured, but other units - including a cavalry regiment - were later converted to infantry to restore it to three infantry brigades. Effectively, it was an infantry division supported by its own tank brigade, not an armoured division as such. The 3rd New Zealand Divisions - which only had two brigades - had few tanks in the Pacific. Australia did use tanks in the theatre. The Australian 1st Armoured Division was formed for service in the European theatre, but not deployed there before Japan entered the war, and ultimately it was disbanded with constituent units used to support the infantry. This was the norm in the Pacific - the terrain and the logistical difficulties did not support armoured maneuvre warfare as seen in North Africa / Europe. The Americans did not deploy a single one of their many armored divisions to the Pacific; they deployed tanks in support of infantry. The lessons remain relevant for us today.
Read your history. I know my NZ WW2 history. The official nomenclature for the 2nd NZ Division during the Italian campaign was 2nd NZ Armoured Division. Maybe you should ask the surviving veterans. I have family links to both the 2nd and 3rd NZ divisions.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

When the war ended, the NZ Division was based at Trieste, near the Yugoslav border. Apparently until 1918 Trieste had been part of the Austro-Hungarian empire and it was transferred to Italy during the peace settlements and dismemberment of the Austro-Hungarian empire. The Yugoslavs were not happy about Italy obtaining Trieste so at the end of WW2 the Yugoslav partisans under Tito intended to liberate and occupy Trieste and the surrounding area. However, the Kiwis beat them to it and the Yugoslavs were told that Trieste will remain Italian territory. One day a jeep containing two Yugoslav and two Russian Generals approached a NZ Division checkpoint outside of Trieste. It failed to stop and unfortunately for them the checkpoint was manned by troops from the 27th Māori Battalion. So the troops at the checkpoint fired on said jeep disabling it somewhat and threw the four generals in a cell. When Lt Gen Freyberg heard about the incident his only comment was that the 27th battalion should improve its marksmanship. He was somewhat disappointed by it. Some wit suggested that the four generals would feel at home in the cell. That story came from a biography on Freyberg that I read about 30 odd years ago.

Anthony_B_78

Read your history. I know my NZ WW2 history. The official nomenclature for the 2nd NZ Division during the Italian campaign was 2nd NZ Armoured Division. Maybe you should ask the surviving veterans. I have family links to both the 2nd and 3rd NZ divisions.
I can find no record of a 2nd New Zealand Armoured Division. Every thing I've read says it was a mixed division in its second and third iterations. Three infantry brigades, then two infantry brigades and an armoured brigade, and then three infantry brigades and an armoured brigade. It was never structured along British lines as an armoured division and indeed in Italy at times its constituent armoured regiments supported other divisions. In effect, it was more similar to an infantry division with its own tank brigade than an armoured division, and there is a difference.

This official source repeatedly refers to the division as the 2nd New Zealand Division in its recounting of its part in the Italian Campaign.

This British source uses the same term, again in reference to the division's service in Italy.

This article is interesting because it has an image of a memorial to the division in Italy - always touching to see the local community respect those who served and died in their country.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
He was somewhat disappointed by it. Some wit suggested that the four generals would feel at home in the cell. That story came from a biography on Freyberg that I read about 30 odd years ago.
I read an other story, It was when Montgomery took over the 8th Army and was inspecting the 2nd NZ Division, When he complained about the lack saluting as his staff car drove through the Division. Freyberg was reputed to have said to Monty, If you wave they will wave back.
his official source repeatedly refers to the division as the 2nd New Zealand Division in its recounting of its part in the Italian Campaign.
I agree with this, though I have seen it written up as the 2nd NZ Army Division. I suppose Army and Armored do sound similar.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
"The National Advanced Surface to Air Missile System (NASAMS) fires an AIM-120 Advanced Medium Range Air to Air Missile during it's first ever Australian live-fire at Woomera Test Range in South Australia on 14 November 2023." Image Source : ADF Image Library
View attachment 50946
I think that NASAMS needs to mobile on the back of a truck. Lessons from Ukraine are teaching that fixed missile launchers are easy meat.

I think that NASAMS needs to mobile on the back of a truck. Lessons from Ukraine are teaching that fixed missile launchers are easy meat.
From memory Army was originally talking of mounting these on the back of Hawkei’s. Agree that in the field near an active combat zone they need to be shoot and scoot to avoid counter strike or targeting.

Redlands18

Stampede

Did Austral just win the contract for LAND 8710 LMV-M?
News grab in the Financial review suggests an announcement tomorrow in WA.

If true it will be interesting as to what it looks like.
Austral have some images of one contender with limited information re size and capability.
Also they are building a LCU replacement for the US navy which may also be an offering.

Could all be nonsense or maybe we actually have a decision.

Find out tomorrow.

Cheers S

Reptilia

Austral have some images of one contender with limited information re size and capability.
Also they are building a LCU replacement for the US navy which may also be an offering.

Find out tomorrow.

Cheers S
This you reckon?
Option with the least risk.

Also offering the heavy with BMT.

Last edited:

OldTex

Find out tomorrow.

Cheers S
Or might it have something to do with the MOU signed between Austral and H&W. There might be an offer for evolved Cape class boats as a possible replacement for UK Border Force Seeker class boats (Stan 4207).