The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

Vanquish

Active Member

I stand corrected if this is accurate. But that means Putin and Trump made the deal a couple of weeks back. I still doubt the US gets much though as there is a shortage in Russia as well.
 

seaspear

Well-Known Member
If the parts for the destroyed equipment for the refineries are sent to Russia , and these are parts that have been sanctioned then Russia will be able to resume production more easily .and not just diesel
Russia though has banned export of diesel because of shortages and these would of course affected its military logistics as well as normal consumer usage ,I have viewed reports of sanctioned tankers going from South Korea to Russia perhaps Donny could talk to South Korea
 

KipPotapych

Well-Known Member

I stand corrected if this is accurate. But that means Putin and Trump made the deal a couple of weeks back. I still doubt the US gets much though as there is a shortage in Russia as well.
This is incorrect:

IMG_7142.jpeg


Considering everyone already knows that Russia has banned exports of diesel for the time being,Trump is not going to be getting any. It might play well with his base though because they lap up everything he says as gospel.
Putin may sell Trump some diesel just to be able to boast about it.
This is also incorrect and I had talked about it a couple of times, probably in details, but here is not me saying this:

IMG_7114.jpeg

IMG_7136.jpeg

This is probably correct:

IMG_7132.jpeg

The funny part is when the same people talking about Russia having no diesel to export also say how dares he (the orange man) boost Russian war budget to continue waging the war. I will comment more on the subject later.
 

KipPotapych

Well-Known Member
Comedy Central:

IMG_7144.jpeg

Reality:



IMG_7139.jpeg

But we will gladly buy the same diesel from Turkey (or elsewhere). And again with the biggest sanctions nonsense (I posted on exactly that fairly recently). These people cannot help themselves. And I don’t even want to talk about the EU scooping up all Russian LNG exports they possibly can.


IMG_7115.jpeg

A lemming leader also can’t help himself - I completely lack the depth on most of the subjects outside a few I post about, but I must keep posting.


IMG_7134.jpeg

Stanimir deserves respect for admitting mistakes (and many other things), though not entirely admitting (he said this was not going to happen, but he also said Russia exported zero diesel in September and shortage and all, whereas they have never stopped delivering diesel to the “friendlies”, 100-150 kbpd). Yet, he insists on bad strategic moves to be taken by Ukraine from here on, in my opinion:

But I also agree with Dan on the second point. Paradoxically, this disastrous deal presents Ukraine with an opportunity.

Kyiv should intensify its strikes against Russian oil refineries and energy infrastructure, while making clear that any cessation of such attacks must be mutual, never unilateral.

If Trump wants Russian oil and diesel to flow, he will have to reach an understanding with Ukraine, not merely with Putin.

Ukraine must not allow Washington and Moscow to negotiate over its head while denying it the leverage it has earned on the battlefield.

That is the language of power. And perhaps the only language this administration truly understands.


These “energy ceasefire” type proposals are nonsense. Ukraine not hitting RU refineries is not equivalent to Russia ceasing their attacks on UA electrical grid and other “energy-related” infrastructure. Even if for a simple reason that these attacks are not existential for Russia; they are for Ukraine. I mean the damage is not comparable. I said recently that one must be an idiot to think that Russia would accept such a proposal. This is still true. Ukraine does not have this leverage and exactly because of the language of power that Dr Dobrev talks about.

The best they can do here is talk about a “sea ceasefire” of some form. Even that is extremely questionable and unlikely to happen, in my opinion. Maybe they can wiggle out some air defence out of it as well, but I would not count on that either because Trump will probably get back at it with Iran before or after the midterms (which Republicans are most likely to lose and lose “bigly”). Some nominal amount of Patriot missiles will not suffice though because Russia will probably increase the pressure and intensify their attacks in the near future to reinforce/reiterate their success (this deal with Trump). I am not sure what else is there to bargain with.

The thing is that Ukraine had shifted the balance and focus off the frontline and expanded the battlefield. While they are unlikely to win at the frontline, they most certainly cannot win the battle they themselves have now defined. I guess a mandatory note: yes, Russia has been striking various Ukrainian infrastructure for years (a clue why they cannot win this type of war), but Russian targeting has definitely shifted and expanded since the aforementioned Ukrainian actions. For example:

The overnight Russian attack was the most significant blow to Ukrainian businesses since the start of the full-scale invasion, with logistics centers, warehouses, and production facilities hit.

A tweet from WarTranslated from August 5, details in the link (there are two posts). Bigger things have happened since, but this one kind of drives it home. Things are just not the same. Again, I am not sure what the thought process is here, but reality behind the curtains is different from the advertisement (read propaganda) and payload delivery matters much more than a few Wildberries warehouses and the like. Especially when we are talking about one attack vs weeks and months of (very expensive) efforts. Note that we are going to wait just a tad longer for that complete collapse of the banking system from those strikes on Wildberries, as well as the collapse from the fuel shortages, both of which Stanimir had been talking about.

The problem is that hate is all good and dandy (not really), but it blinds the person from seeing how things actually work (even if the person knows it) and what is actually happening. Many very smart people keep talking ridiculous stuff because they keep making up the math that they want to see. Neither math, nor reality work this way.

I predict (but do not insist on being absolutely right, time will tell) that along with massive attacks on UA infrastructure of all kinds, we will see a shift in the frontline dynamics as well in the coming months. Alienating Americans (Trump in particular) is not the best strategy here. On the other hand, diesel prices, all other things remaining equal, will fall a bit naturally as the crop season is coming to an end, so he will take credit for it, emphasizing this epic deal and will thank Putin once more. So who knows…

Anyway, I got carried away a bit and didn’t even touch on what I wanted to say on the subject of this deal and its potential effects. Maybe tomorrow.

By the way, talking about crop season, I have never seen this much standing (ie uncut) or swathed and not by now combined crop this time of year around here. (Edit: the increase in diesel prices of 75-90% year-on-year for many farmers meant the difference of land/equipment loan(s) payments that were/are about due, on top of seeding at then record prices. It is clear where the money would go first. The new loans aren’t free either. And neither are shenanigans, such as two-week excursions and special military operations).
 
Last edited:
Top