Royal New Zealand Navy Discussions and Updates

Gibbo

Just a question:

Can someone please update me on the fate of the Rapid Environmental Assessment (REA) boats Takapu & Tarapunga (link), that entered service with the Navy in 2013? The ones that supposedly could be loaded on a Hercules and were designed to respond to just such an event as the sinking of the Manawanui. Are they still in service? No mention of them on the Navy website.
I can't answer the question but it's one I also posed a few years back as they went very quite very quick on the subject of them, and now have the new LMC's.

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
This sort of online trolling makes me angry, particularly as you know most commentators haven't served a day in their life or have a bridge watch ticket. :mad::mad:
From the SMH :
"Wellington: New Zealand Defence Minister Judith Collins says Kiwi servicewomen are being abused in the street following gender-based attacks levied at the captain of the HMNZS Manawanui.

The Manawanui sank in Samoan waters on Sunday morning after it lost power and hit a reef during surveying work in rough seas.

It was New Zealand’s first naval loss since World War II.

All 75 crew made it to shore safely after an evacuation order was issued by Captain Yvonne Gray.

Following the disaster, Captain Gray has been subjected to vicious online abuse by online trolls, with some suggesting she was promoted above her station due to her gender.

Collins said it was a “deeply concerning misogynistic narrative” from “armchair admirals”, including one from Melbourne.

“I’m appalled to hear that our women in uniform are being abused in the street because of this incident,” she said.

NZ also currently has – for the first time – a female defence minister and chief of army.

“We are all appointed on merit, not gender,” Collins said.

Standing alongside Collins at a press conference on Thursday, Chief of Navy, Rear Admiral Garin Golding, said the gender-based attacks were “disgusting”.

“It’s impacting our people and it needs to stop,” he said.

Manawanui has since been located 30 metres below the surface and inspected for environmentally damaging leaks both by Samoan and NZDF divers.

Samoan officials fear ocean contamination by fuels and oils from the Manawanui, but Collins said fuel storage tanks remained intact.

“There are reports of some small leaks but these are very small amounts and they’re from the pipes that take the fuel around the ship,” she said.

“Current indications are that little to none of this initial fuel has come onto any beaches or onto the reef.

“Maritime New Zealand modelling estimates that only 10 per cent of this is likely to remain longer than 24 hours ... because it is being dispersed out to sea by wind and waves.”

“While this remains an incredibly serious incident, and it will be for a long time to come, it is tracking as well as we could hope for at this point.”

Some in Samoa have called on an apology from New Zealand, which Collins declined to offer.

“We’re obviously deeply traumatised. Frankly, our navy has gone through a very tough time,” she said.

“We are dealing with the immediate issues and anything like that, government to government, would be dealt with by the prime minister, if at all.”

Samoa has suffered various indignities at NZ’s hands, including time under administration from 1914 to 1962.

NZ has been the source of major Samoan measles and flu outbreaks, including one which killed one-fifth of the population, and the deadly 1929 Black Saturday shooting when NZ police killed 11 Samoans.

Mistreatment of Samoans has prompted two formal apologies, delivered by the prime minister Helen Clark in 2002, and Jacinda Ardern in 2021.

It is not yet clear how the Manawanui came to hit the reef and sink. That will be the subject of a formal Court of Inquiry.

Commodore Melissa Ross will lead that probe, with three senior military members joining her, including a secondment from the Australian navy: Commodore Dean Battilana.

An interim report is due mid-November.

Rear Admiral Golding said he would make as much of the report public as possible, only withholding information on privacy and national security grounds.

“The inquiry is carried out in confidence, with statutory protections for witnesses to enable them to give frank and full evidence,” he said."

recce.k1

Well said DDG. Hadn't heard about women in uniform being abused in the street until the DefMin's press conference as per the media reporting today (and which you highlight).

(Mind you if anyone was stupid enough to abuse naval "wahine toa" (can mean strong woman, warrior woman etc) to their face I wouldn't be surprised if the abuser came off second best)!

Seriously though it's not normal for Kiwis to disrespect those serving (and it's quite normal to see servicemen and servicewomen still in uniform after a days work in the community e.g. in shops on their way home, due to the relatively safe and respectful nature of our society).

But have seen plenty of uninformed and outrageous commentary on NZ political blogs and similar "issues" forums (which is something I was alluding to a few days ago. But good to see some similar usernames to some posting here correcting the record where practical).

On NZ defence forums (like WoNZ) the commentary has pretty much been civil (which is a credit to the blog owner and their mods).

Even here on DT us Kiwis have behaved with exemplary conduct .... so much so we've not even raised the ire of the Kiwi mods to arise from their well deserved slumber and give us a verbal (written) lashing or three! :D

recce.k1

An account of the conditions at the time (written by one of NZ's better investigative journalists).

A first hand account from a former RN commanding officer on being in a real-life situation in which his ship (and lives) could have been lost due to flooding.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
There was once a very talented young navigator,and world renowned Explorer who ran his ship aground on the Great Barrier Reef.
Captain James Cook.
One of my old skippers on game fishing boats out of Cairns wanted rest during a transit to Lizard Island. He could tell I was a bit nervous, itvwas dead calm, and glassed out. It made seeing the reef impossible until you were right up on it.
He said, there are 2 types of skippers up here, those that have hit the reef, and those that are gunna! Trust your instruments.
Now, if we didn't have gps, sounders and radar....due to a loss of power....I probably would have been a hell of a lot more nervous.

Nighthawk.NZ

Well said DDG. Hadn't heard about women in uniform being abused in the street until the DefMin's press conference as per the media reporting today (and which you highlight).

(Mind you if anyone was stupid enough to abuse naval "wahine toa" (can mean strong woman, warrior woman etc) to their face I wouldn't be surprised if the abuser came off second best)!

Seriously though it's not normal for Kiwis to disrespect those serving (and it's quite normal to see servicemen and servicewomen still in uniform after a days work in the community e.g. in shops on their way home, due to the relatively safe and respectful nature of our society).

But have seen plenty of uninformed and outrageous commentary on NZ political blogs and similar "issues" forums (which is something I was alluding to a few days ago. But good to see some similar usernames to some posting here correcting the record where practical).

On NZ defence forums (like WoNZ) the commentary has pretty much been civil (which is a credit to the blog owner and their mods).

Even here on DT us Kiwis have behaved with exemplary conduct .... so much so we've not even raised the ire of the Kiwi mods to arise from their well deserved slumber and give us a verbal (written) lashing or three! :D
I have only seen it on the internet, youtube, twitter and fakebook...

I wrote a couple of notes on this article on my webiste...

Last edited:

chis73

HMNZS Otago (OPV) to be brought out of mothballs

Watching the interview with DefMin Judith Collins this morning (link), it seems that HMNZS Otago will be brought out of mothballs as the replacement for Manawanui. Pretty much what I expected from this government - the cheapest, stupidest option every time. Much like the Dunedin Hospital fiasco, for gawd's sake, just do the job properly you muppets!

Otago as far as I know, has no onboard survey equipment (eg. echo sounders), no dynamic positioning ability (if memory serves, she has to stop a shaft to go less than 8 kts). Diving capability may be whatever can be carried in a container on the quarterdeck. Surveying will be by Remus ROV or RHIB I suspect. Not good at all.

At least we will have an OPV back (to patrol the EEZ).

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
It’s the obvious short term solution. And she certainly has an echo sounder, if not one that is up to the normal survey ship capability. Saw her on Friday and it looked like she was being worked on.

Bevan

Gee, the ship sunk 7 days ago, kind of glad they havent rushed to replace it as without a decent review of what happened the replacement would be rushed and probably be something similar and civilian again and we would likely be stuck with the decision for the next 20 years (unless the replacement sunk too). Im hoping they take enough time (but not too much) to investigate and build the findings into what comes next for the Navy. Im liking what Im ready in this article (avoiding 2nd hand and civilian builds), but holding my breath until we see something tangible : 'We could've had 75 body bags': Collins on HMNZS Manawanui sinking

Catalina

Defence Minister Collins discusses New Zealand's upcoming involvement in the latest IP4 involvement with NATO and the sinking and court of inquiry into the loss of HMNZS Manawanui (link). The interim CoI report is scheduled for release in mid-November.

Good to hear from the Minister of HMNZS Otago return to active service from its current care and custody status with the redeployment of Manawanui's crew.

Last edited:

kiwi in exile

HMNZS Otago (OPV) to be brought out of mothballs

Watching the interview with DefMin Judith Collins this morning (link), it seems that HMNZS Otago will be brought out of mothballs as the replacement for Manawanui. Pretty much what I expected from this government - the cheapest, stupidest option every time. Much like the Dunedin Hospital fiasco, for gawd's sake, just do the job properly you muppets!

Otago as far as I know, has no onboard survey equipment (eg. echo sounders), no dynamic positioning ability (if memory serves, she has to stop a shaft to go less than 8 kts). Diving capability may be whatever can be carried in a container on the quarterdeck. Surveying will be by Remus ROV or RHIB I suspect. Not good at all.

At least we will have an OPV back (to patrol the EEZ).
Personally given the situation I'm pleased with this and see it as a positive. Given the 'deteriorating regional geopolitical situation' drug smuggling, fisheries crimes, etc I would rather have an OPV patrolling the pacific than the Manawanui doing survey work. Someone better informed than me can evaluate whether our hydrographic MCM outputs can be achieved with Remus UUVs etc from an OPV/without the Manawanuis onboard capabilities. I was under the impression that globally there was a move towards using ROVs more and more for this kind of work.

I do agree that this govt is establishing a track record of stupid, cheap decisions (unless you a tobacco company or some other kind of private developer). Defmin Collins sound reasonable about our capabilitry gap in this and other interviews (Thanks Jack Tame), but we will have to see if Nat can walk the walk as well as talk the talk when the DCP comes out. Collins seems to be leaning toward new builds and mils spec builds henceforth... (see tame interview). But also see Cook Straight 2nd hand toyota corollas etc.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Gee, the ship sunk 7 days ago, kind of glad they havent rushed to replace it as without a decent review of what happened the replacement would be rushed and probably be something similar and civilian again and we would likely be stuck with the decision for the next 20 years (unless the replacement sunk too). Im hoping they take enough time (but not too much) to investigate and build the findings into what comes next for the Navy. Im liking what Im ready in this article (avoiding 2nd hand and civilian builds), but holding my breath until we see something tangible : 'We could've had 75 body bags': Collins on HMNZS Manawanui sinking
If you look at the total history of the RNZN you will find that all the ships that ever carried out the roles of HMNZS Manawanui, they have all been second hand and most have been adapted to fit the role. Some have also been civilian adaptions in fact from memory the were all built to non military specs.They performed there roles satisfactory.

Last edited: