Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

Bob53

Has he also let slip the actual range of the Harpoon missile?
It is commonly quoted as having a range of around 130 Km when surface launched.
But he seems to be saying it is 200 Km.
Or he doesnt know. I’ve never seen any articles anywhere stating Harpoon had a 200km range.

SammyC

Yes but I don’t think anti ship missile supply is an issue at the moment. It’s anti air and land strike where there is massive production backlogs.
Yes, agree with the anti air shortfall. Don't forget NSM has a land strike capability (albeit much more limited range than a Tomahawk), so the Kongsberg factory does assist with this. Eventual PrSM production would I suggest be the land strike main stay for Australia. The work with Lockheed Martin in this area seems promising, starting with GMLRS assembly next year.

The GWEO weapons partner that we are yet to see a plan from is Raytheon. Their road has been bumpy, culminating in a sudden management cleanout (citing tensions with the government) last May. It's been quiet since then.

They however are the ESSM, SM2/6 and AIM120/9x producer, so their eventual strategy for Australian production will be critical for anti air protection. Hopefully we will hear soon.

ESSM is in my view most important as it is the cheapest, easiest for bulk production and has the largest onship magazine capacity. It also has a stablemate in the AMRAAM ER (uses the back end of the ESSM), which is a capable range extender for NASAMS.

Matched with an SM2/6 line, we would be very self sufficient for Naval and land anti air manufacturing.

I am sure the air force would also like the AIM 9 and 120 series in production.

I should note that all of the above missiles are all close family relatives. They interchange sensors and rockets frequently. If you have a factory and supply chain for one, then you have an option for them all.

Last edited:

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Senator Conroy is letting slip a lot of information in his press releases of late. First that we're getting SM3s, now that we will have TLAM before years end.

I didn't think we would see Tomahawks that soon.
Chief of Navy mentioned Tomahawks would be deployed before years end, in his presser after the NSM launch, so Conroy didn’t let anything slip there…

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Has he also let slip the actual range of the Harpoon missile?
It is commonly quoted as having a range of around 130 Km when surface launched.
But he seems to be saying it is 200 Km.
The range with these weapons is always flight profile dependant, which a lot of people misunderstand. Harpoon’s range IS 130k, in a lo-lo-lo flight profile with tactical routing employed. Same with NSM and it’s “185k” range.

But have the weapon climb to altitude in a different flight profile and the range is different…

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
ADF YouTube.

Why on earth is the apparent majority of the Australians onboard Army or Air Force; this is a frigate in contention for the RAN so why isn’t every available place taken up by Navy people, who might actually gain some benefit for the future - and why on earth did they need to have a gender, equity and security adviser there? This is jointery taken much too far! I am sure the Army and AF people had a lovely sea ride - but really!

Reptilia

Why on earth is the apparent majority of the Australians onboard Army or Air Force; this is a frigate in contention for the RAN so why isn’t every available place taken up by Navy people, who might actually gain some benefit for the future - and why on earth did they need to have a gender, equity and security adviser there? This is jointery taken much too far! I am sure the Army and AF people had a lovely sea ride - but really!
Navy has already had a thorough tour of FFM 6, JS Agano.

hauritz

This Warzone article gives more detail about the Ghost Shark.

Pertinent information includes:

More than a dozen potential payloads

Modular design permits extension modules to enable increased payload

Designed to be produced in large numbers
Kind of hints at why we saw the sudden cancellation of the programs to replace our MCM an Hydro fleets. It isn't the only show in town. In fact there seem to be several Australian start ups looking at producing an array UUVs and LUUVs.

Aardvark144

So are you saying that any IE activities involving Japanese/Korean naval units during IPE24 can only involve RAN personnel?

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No of course not. However sea riding has the potential to build up knowledge amongst the future practitioners of how a platform is operated; and it is, quite frankly, a waste of an opportunity to give those places (which will be limited) to people who will not be involved in the operation or support of the vessels, should we buy them. And the more experienced people who have been given that opportunity the better; so that the fact that one group of Navy people has been onboard another ship of the class does not mean that you should not try to get as many more onboard as you possibly can.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
RAN is actively poaching RAAF and army . "Hey guys, we are getting all the cool new kit, come join us".

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
No of course not. However sea riding has the potential to build up knowledge amongst the future practitioners of how a platform is operated; and it is, quite frankly, a waste of an opportunity to give those places (which will be limited) to people who will not be involved in the operation or support of the vessels, should we buy them. And the more experienced people who have been given that opportunity the better; so that the fact that one group of Navy people has been onboard another ship of the class does not mean that you should not try to get as many more onboard as you possibly can.
To be honest, I'm a little dark on who gets sea rides and other things and why. I've worked multiple projects, multiple capabilities but haven't had a ride in anything adf since I wore a uniform in the 90s.

Same applies to many of my technical colleagues, while admin, contracts and PMs seem to get all the jollies and benefits.

K.I.

100 missiles a year sounds extremely good imho. Just look at what the US is ordering. It's only about 100 NSM a year.

"Appropriation / Budget Activity: P-1 Item Nomenclature: Exhibit MYP-1, Multiyear Procurement Criteria 1507 Weapons Procurement - Navy / Other Missiles (BA-02) Naval Strike Missile (NSM) Date: 2024

1. Multiyear Procurement Description: This proposal would provide authority for the Secretary of Navy to enter into a multiyear contract for the procurement of up to 516 Naval Strike Missiles (NSM) for the fiscal year (FY) 2024 through FY 2028 program. Advance procurement for economic order quantities begin in FY 2024. This is a five year MYP contract.

This multiyear contract uses Economic Order Quantity Advance Procurement funding to provide the U.S. GOvernment maximum savings in price. Advance Procurement funding will enable material and component suppliers and subcontractors with sufficient lead time to support the planned delivery schedule within the context of the multiyear funding, prices, and cancellation ceilings."
100pa seems low bar tbh when you start doing the numbers on how many the ADF will potentially deploy + stockpile and then the prospect of supplying Asian customers.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its highly integrated, so we would definitely be pretty locked in to the systems they have for the next 10-15 years. Probably the radar too.

It may be possible to put a few panels or something elsewhere on the ship. Small/tiny additional CEAmount or CEAfar stuff. It may be possible to integrate 9LV, either as a sub system (like on hunter with AEgis and 9lv), or as a primary. As long as there is room, power, in a server cabinet somewhere. This would probably give Australia what it wants, without launching a new mega program to Australianise the original parent design. Mogami has pretty good radar and new systems. But 9LV and CEA can do special things we are interested in going forward. These wouldn't be used as really as combat radars, but the other things we do. 9LV can also then use our sensors and wacky weapons today, without launch integration into the Japanese combat system

Ideally, the nations would partner up and then develop an integrated solution for future ships, adding those integrated capabilities to the other fleet. Both would benefit. Maybe CEA sells or licences some stuff, which would be good.

The koreans are less tightly integrated, but still similar issues. We probably need a better development model for this kind of stuff going forward. Learn some lessons from hunter about that. On hunter I think its justified because these are major tier 1 units. But that impacts schedule, cost etc.

Going Boeing

Mogami has pretty good radar and new systems.
In a previous post on this thread, I mentioned that the existing Mogami radar is X band which is suitable for short to medium range and it doesn’t have any long range search capability. Models & drawings of the upgraded version indicate that a different radar configuration will be fitted which will hopefully fix this shortcoming.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
In a previous post on this thread, I mentioned that the existing Mogami radar is X band which is suitable for short to medium range and it doesn’t have any long range search capability. Models & drawings of the upgraded version indicate that a different radar configuration will be fitted which will hopefully fix this shortcoming.

1724816175368.png

Seems to indicate that people are at least looking at this, in some sort of design capacity.
I don't think either the Japanese nor the Koreans want to foist on Australia anything that Australia isn't happy with. However, both classes, are built in reasonable volume overseas, and in some cases, the RAN may want to adopt some of these different systems.

Long range also makes a lot of sense, Mogami was originally going to be a light short range ship, almost LCS like, because that is what the Japanese envisaged and were sort of replacing. The design has grown into a much more generic light frigate capability.

From the story @Going Boeing boeing linked earlier:
  • The antennas for Link 16, which is a military tactical data link network used by NATO members and other Western nations.
  • TACAN (Tactical Air Navigation System) is an antenna that provides information about the ship’s direction and distance to ship-based helicopters.
  • Identification Friend or Foe (IFF) antennas
  • ESM (Electronic Support Measures) for radar, or ES-R, which detects radio waves emitted by the seeker of an incoming anti-ship missile.
  • ESM for communication, or ES-C, which is used to intercept radio communications. It is believed to be the same function as C-ESM used by European navies.
  • UHF/VHF transmitting/receiving antenna, which is an antenna for UHF/VHF wireless communication, is used for short-distance communication.
  • ORQ-2B-4 Offshore Wireless Router, which is Wi-Fi bands that provide a means of sharing information when sonar performs bistatic and multi-static detection
So many of these functions make this platform seem like it would be good for controlling drones and UAVs. It has many elements so there may be some work on making able to control many such entities. They did a lot of work on ensuring systems didn't negatively affect each other and had excellent placement for range. The situational awareness and sensor fusion is apparently top notch, and may be why Airforce and Army were given sea rides, to show them what that looks like from a Japanese perspective, and may influence other projects. Airforce has air drones. Army perhaps a land or amphibious drone capability.

So yeh, put that together with Ghost shark, and other similar platforms, seems like a real reason to have them, not just "cheap up gunned OPV ships". These seem like well place for the future. With a supporting partner nation, building a large fleet, and looking at similar enabling capabilities, jointly developed with Australia.

Maybe under JAUKUS, should Japan ever join the technology alliance?
Well I think Japan is already there. They have plenty of defence agreements and defence projects with the US, UK and hopefully AU. Korea's Austal move was interesting, because the Americans poo-poo that on security grounds. Which is vauge. Im not sure Japan will have exactly the same issues, they have existing very tight programs with the US like SM-3 etc.

In the future can I see the US being interested in Mogami flight II? Sure. Can I see the US and Australia being interested in the Japanese-UK 6th gen fighter, sure.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Well I think Japan is already there. They have plenty of defence agreements and defence projects with the US, UK and hopefully AU. Korea's Austal move was interesting, because the Americans poo-poo that on security grounds. Which is vauge. Im not sure Japan will have exactly the same issues, they have existing very tight programs with the US like SM-3 etc.

In the future can I see the US being interested in Mogami flight II? Sure. Can I see the US and Australia being interested in the Japanese-UK 6th gen fighter, sure.
I am much less certain of the potential depth of the US-Japan defence/tech sharing agreements and do not think Japan has anything really comparable to AUKUS, nor do I think Japan would be invited to that particular party. One needs to remember that Japan is not a part of the Five Eyes intel sharing, and for that matter, as much as the US does with S. Korea in terms of defence, S. Korea is not a part of Five Eyes either. This strongly suggests to me that there are at least some reservations on info/tech sharing with Japan and S. Korea.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am much less certain of the potential depth of the US-Japan defence/tech sharing agreements and do not think Japan has anything really comparable to AUKUS, nor do I think Japan would be invited to that particular party. One needs to remember that Japan is not a part of the Five Eyes intel sharing, and for that matter, as much as the US does with S. Korea in terms of defence, S. Korea is not a part of Five Eyes either. This strongly suggests to me that there are at least some reservations on info/tech sharing with Japan and S. Korea.
Both Japan and Korean aren't in the same strategic situation as the UK or AU. There aren't the cultural links. There isn't the same mindset and world view as AU and UK which really put them in the category different to other allies, for good and bad. They all have significant influence with each other. I don't even see Canada or NZ or anyone else really fitting into that category. AUKUS isn't NATO or five eyes. AUKUS isn't a defence pact. AUKUS technologies, at least some, probably aren't for everyone, they are just for AUKUS partners. But AUKUS does provide a frame work for deep collaboration. What will probably come out is a new technology sharing framework.

Japan does have standing forces agreements with the US, AU, and UK. So joint projects can be conducted today, training, deployment, etc. Korea isn't there yet. Korea also has a different view on China than does Japan. A korean company tried to buy Austal, the Japanese didn't even try. I think japan is interested in engaging with AUKUS, not be a part of AUKUS. It provides an umbrella for Japan to diversify its alliances, be less US centred, but in a way that the US is totally cool with, with two very different, but very special allies.

With the alliances, there is interest in pooling talent and not reinventing the wheel. Japan can certainly be a part of that.

Getting back to the Navy, I think both Korean and Japan have very compelling offerings, with capabilities in many formative domains, that could impact all services.

The Koreans already have a project in Australia with Army. Japan is clearly looking for the right project with Australia, and that may be Navy.

But also aspects of ships goes beyond just VLS and endurance and crew numbers. From what I hear the Mogami class is pretty much a rolling tech demonstrator and implementer for a lot of new concepts.