Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Which isn’t necessarily the end of the world. Pretty much every large acquisition in the ADF will have sub-fleets to a degree. Surely we’d rather have more AAR, than just cross arms and go, “No thanks, it’s a different lot”.
Not to mention other advantages. Newer aircraft don’t break down as much / require as much maintenance and can therefore be flown more than the older lot.

Overall fleet hours can be managed in such a fashion as I understand such things…

Redlands18

Not to mention other advantages. Newer aircraft don’t break down as much / require as much maintenance and can therefore be flown more than the older lot.

Overall fleet hours can be managed in such a fashion as I understand such things…
Another big factor with aircraft, is the number of cycles they do, take offs and landings are hard on aircraft, an aircraft that has a thousand hours on the clock with 300 cycles will require more maintenance than one with only 100 cycles.

Rob c

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Another big factor with aircraft, is the number of cycles they do, take offs and landings are hard on aircraft, an aircraft that has a thousand hours on the clock with 300 cycles will require more maintenance than one with only 100 cycles.
While your concept is right, aircraft with your numbers are some what on the low side as an aircraft with 1000 hours or 300 cycles is just about new and their would not be any difference's between the examples given. there would be between 10,000 and 20,000 depending on the quality of the maintenance. However it is also necessary to differentiate between what the aircraft is used for as cycles are very important to transport type aircraft and fatigue cycles more so with combat aircraft as their hours and cycles tend to be far less than other types, but the stresses are far higher.

Last edited:

Aardvark144

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Redlands18

I noticed here the ASAF is making its E7s out of 737s. I thought we used airbus airframes? Would this make rthe USAF a completely different plane. Thought it was going to be the same. We may as well start buying 737s and roll on to commonality over the next 15 years as the A330 based wedge-tails retire. US Air Force eyes advance procurement to more quickly make E-7 planes
E-7A Wedgetail | Air Force
Boeing is where the 7 comes from, if it had been the unsuccessful Airbus A310 or the LM C-130J based bids, it would have been given a different designation.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I noticed here the ASAF is making its E7s out of 737s. I thought we used airbus airframes? Would this make rthe USAF a completely different plane. Thought it was going to be the same. We may as well start buying 737s and roll on to commonality over the next 15 years as the A330 based wedge-tails retire. US Air Force eyes advance procurement to more quickly make E-7 planes
As others have mentioned, the E-7A Wedgetail is a Boeing product, based upon the B737-700 and fitted with a Northrup Grumman MESA radar. IIRC there is something somewhat different in the aircraft from a 'stock' B737-700, and I think (vague recollection here) that they are fitted with the wing used by B737-800's.

Mark_Evans

As others have mentioned, the E-7A Wedgetail is a Boeing product, based upon the B737-700 and fitted with a Northrup Grumman MESA radar. IIRC there is something somewhat different in the aircraft from a 'stock' B737-700, and I think (vague recollection here) that they are fitted with the wing used by B737-800's.
Correct. The base plane is essentially a Boeing Business Jet, which has the 737-700 fuselage with the stronger 737-800 wing to support its extra weight and the BBJ aux fuel tanks.

swerve

Super Moderator
A330 -

Turkish_Airlines,_Airbus_A330-300_TC-JNL_NRT_(23708073592).jpg
Wedgetail -

공중조기경보통제기_(7445565660).jpg

Note the obvious size difference.

The RAAF (& multiple other air forces) have A330 tankers, but there is no AEW A330.

Redlands18

Correct. The base plane is essentially a Boeing Business Jet, which has the 737-700 fuselage with the stronger 737-800 wing to support its extra weight and the BBJ aux fuel tanks.
The RAAF has also been operating two 737-700 BBJ with the -800 wing in the VIP role since 2002. Though replacements have been ordered.

vonnoobie

Always wondered how a A330 or 787 would go in the role of a Wedgetail but probably be a capability far in excess of our requirements.

Mark_Evans

Always wondered how a A330 or 787 would go in the role of a Wedgetail but probably be a capability far in excess of our requirements.
The 787 is quite a lot larger with but also costs significantly more. We are talking right size and costs for the job. The 737 is in production, has plenty of support infrastructure and meets the roles needs. I am looking forward to the investment by the US in moving to wedgetail and hope the AUKUS approach works where we can improve our own planes as well. And the UK gets its act together and actually makes the last two planes....not holding my breathe on the last.

Redlands18

Boeing could have offered the Wedgetail system on a 767 instead of the 737 but it would have still been the same system with the same capabilities, the only improvement would have been more internal space. How does being a larger aircraft make it any more capable?

vonnoobie

Boeing could have offered the Wedgetail system on a 767 instead of the 737 but it would have still been the same system with the same capabilities, the only improvement would have been more internal space. How does being a larger aircraft make it any more capable?
The 787 is quite a lot larger with but also costs significantly more. We are talking right size and costs for the job. The 737 is in production, has plenty of support infrastructure and meets the roles needs. I am looking forward to the investment by the US in moving to wedgetail and hope the AUKUS approach works where we can improve our own planes as well. And the UK gets its act together and actually makes the last two planes....not holding my breathe on the last.
It wasn't an active proposal just a simple thought in my head. While yes it would cost more and benefits of supply chain would be some what reduced the one thing that it would benefit from as best as I can tell would be power supply. Exluding what is used to run key systems in the aircraft it's self the 787/330 having a greater amount of excess power available which would actually open up more tracking options for the radar as its core limitation is power supply.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
It wasn't an active proposal just a simple thought in my head. While yes it would cost more and benefits of supply chain would be some what reduced the one thing that it would benefit from as best as I can tell would be power supply. Exluding what is used to run key systems in the aircraft it's self the 787/330 having a greater amount of excess power available which would actually open up more tracking options for the radar as its core limitation is power supply.
Firstly, AFAIK the actual specifications for the Northrup Grumman MESA are not in the public domain, so what the power demand is and what it could be is not publicly available. Having said that, I would imagine that if it was felt necessary, some sort of APU could be installed into a B737 to provide additional power and/or Li-Ion batteries, given how much potential space and available weight vs. a commercial B737.

Secondly, having a larger physical airframe could actually make it more difficult to fit and use the MESA, as potentially bad things could happen if a beam with enough RF energy were to come into contact with a portion of the airframe, like a metallic wing or cockpit. Potentially even more interesting would be if the RF radar beam were to come into contact with something radio translucent, which then have metallic internal components like avionics and/or a wiring harness.