Pakistan Navy (PN) News, Updates & Discussions

dragonfire

hey buudy can you give me some information about how many maritime strike capable aircrafts does pakistan have in its arsenal? including fighters,helicopters,maritime patrol aircrafts and auxilliary aircrafts,would be helpfull in comparing the assets of both the countries.their payload capability,range and intended role in the event of a naval combat.
The PAF has 12 maritime strike Mirage 5s based near karachi if i am not wrong. These were upgraded in the ROSE upgrade program which possibly included air to air refueling. The fighters are capable of carrying Exocet missiles and other AshM. I am not sure about other Maritime strike assets of the Pakistani Military. The range of these fighters is IIRC 4000 kms and the role is offensive defense of PN by shore based assets

T.C.P

The Mirage 5s are to be retired by 2015, probably going to be replaced by the JF-17. this will give Pakistan the edge Until large no. of MIG-29K or Hal tejas are procured by India

kay_man

The PAF has 12 maritime strike Mirage 5s based near karachi if i am not wrong. These were upgraded in the ROSE upgrade program which possibly included air to air refueling. The fighters are capable of carrying Exocet missiles and other AshM. I am not sure about other Maritime strike assets of the Pakistani Military. The range of these fighters is IIRC 4000 kms and the role is offensive defense of PN by shore based assets
PN has also acquired Z-9 helos from China.....what are the capabilities of that.
can it perform surface offensives apart from anti-submarine roles.?

T.C.P

PN has also acquired Z-9 helos from China.....what are the capabilities of that.
can it perform surface offensives apart from anti-submarine roles.?
I dont think so, some Z-9 helos are equipped with HJ-8 anti tank missiles but none of them are equipped with weapons to attack any surface ships. the navalized version can only do anti submarine roles

aaaditya

what is the weapon load and combat radius of the rose upgrade mirage-5?what about the f-16's are they equipped for the maritime strike role?

dragonfire

what is the weapon load and combat radius of the rose upgrade mirage-5?
I doubt if the upgrade program enhanced the weapons load or the range (except in that an inflight refueling probe would have been installed) as most of the upgrades were in the avionics, display systems, night flying and fighting capabilities of the Mirage III and V fighters of the PAF. If the Mirage Vs are carrying lets say a couple of exocet AshMs then i would say the range would be around 800 kms, if its one missile then 1200-1300 kms plus the 180kms range of the missile. The PAF also has the Harpoon missiles which if operated by the same craft would also result in the same configs plus the 220kms range on the missile.

what about the f-16's are they equipped for the maritime strike role?
The harpoon can be loaded up on the Falcons and the PAF has it so am guessing they can be used for maritime role. There are atleast 4-6 sqdns in and around karachi whose primary task is protection of karachi and also to engage in a deny-the-sea kinda manouvers

If am wrong i urge people with better info to provide corrections

SURB

If they load the Mirage Vs with Raad ACLM ,which has a range of approximately 350 km to target warships (stationary targets) then what will be their maximum range of the jetfighters.:confused:

dragonfire

If they load the Mirage Vs with Raad ACLM ,which has a range of approximately 350 km to target warships (stationary targets) then what will be their maximum range of the jetfighters.:confused:
It looks like the Raad can be used to target ships, however i feel that only a single missile can be carried by a Mirage V at a time and therefore the range should be around the same as that of a Mirage V when it carries 2 Exocets, however i would like to state that these are a layman's projections and as such with air 2 air refueling capability it is different story altogether

tatra

Verified Defense Pro
Only a limited number of F-16 customers use the Harpoon on their F-16s:

Chile: The FACh's Block 52 aircraft have Harpoon capability, but no missiles have been ordered
Egypt: EAF Block 40 aircraft have Harpoon capability, no missile purchase yet
Greece: HAF F-16 Block 52 aircraft armed with AGM-84 Harpoons were test-flown at Edwards AFB
Israel: The IDF/AF is very likely to have Harpoon capability, but this is unconfirmed
Oman: The RAFO purchased 20 missiles for its F-16 Block 50 fleet
South Korea: The ROKAF Block 52 aircraft are Harpoon-capable, no confirmed missile purchase
Taiwan: The ROCAF purchased 54 missiles for its F-16 Block 20 aircraft
Turkey: The TuAF purchased 50 Harpoon missiles for their CCIP-upgraded F-16 Block 50 aircraft
United Arab Emirates: The UAEAF's Block 60 aircraft are Harpoon capable, and 52 missiles were purchased at the time of the Block 60 deal

USA: Although the USAF was briefly interested in using the Harpoon on their F-16s during Operation Desert Storm and started the integration work, they lost interest when Desert Storm wound down. Not an operational customer

Singapore 5/10/1996 24 McDonnell Douglas Harpoon air-to-ground anti-ship missiles Foreign Military Sales $39 M
Whether it's fitted on the Fokker F50 or F16 is anyone's guess.

Pakistan ordered 40 air-launched and 20 ground-launched Harpoon Block II anti-ship missiles and related materials valued at up to $180 million.
http://www.f-16.net/f-16_armament_article12.html

Surface launched Harpoons are likely for MRTP-33, while air-launched are likely for P-3C Orion. You cannot stick Harpoons onto F-16 'just like that':

Integration of the AGM-84 with the F-16 required two main changes: (i) addition of Harpoon-specific weapon control algorithms to the Stores Management System, and (ii) development of an interface adapter kit. The interface adaptor is basically an electronic component that converts weapons control instructions from the F-16 Stores Management System into instructions that can be interpreted by the weapon (Harpoon in this case).

All recent F-16 aircraft (Block 20, 30/32, 40/42, 50/52, and 60) can be made Harpoon-capable. It requires the installation of the interface adapter, plus installation of system software that supports the Harpoon.
(same source)

OPSSG

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^^ You forgot about Singapore as a harpoon user. Harpoons are in operational service on RSN vessels, F-16C/Ds, Fokker 50 MPAs (on external hard points) and eventually, they will be in service with the 24 F-15SGs (o/o) once they reach FOC. :)

Edit: I see you have added us and I further confirm that it is in service on both our F-16s and Fokker 50 MPAs (see US DoD link on a harpoon sale to Singapore in 1996). The RSAF has shown both of F-16s and Fokker 50 MPAs with harpoons in their open house to the Singapore public. Further, in Sept 2009 Air Forces Monthly article on the 425th FS (Singapore F-16 training detachment in the US), the article confirms that Singapore Viper drivers do train for a Maritime Strike role (see article in post #15 in another thread).

Last edited:

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Lockheed-Martin has handed over 2 upgraded P3C Orion aircraft to Pakistan Navy.

aaaditya

^^^ You forgot about Singapore as a harpoon user. Harpoons are in operational service on RSN vessels, F-16C/Ds, Fokker 50 MPAs (on external hard points) and eventually, they will be in service with the 24 F-15SGs (o/o) once they reach FOC. :)

Edit: I see you have added us and I further confirm that it is in service on both our F-16s and Fokker 50 MPAs (see US DoD link on a harpoon sale to Singapore in 1996). The RSAF has shown both of F-16s and Fokker 50 MPAs with harpoons in their open house to the Singapore public. Further, in Sept 2009 Air Forces Monthly article on the 425th FS (Singapore F-16 training detachment in the US), the article confirms that Singapore Viper drivers do train for a Maritime Strike role (see article in post #15 in another thread).
harpoons must be pretty good,india has also ordered them for its p-8i,doesnt pakistani navy also use the exocet and the as-15?is the exocet still in service?

aaaditya

Unless you're willing to pay for integration & negotiate for permissions with the USA, you get Harpoon with P-8. It can come as part of the package.
yes it is a part of the package,though i dont know how many or what model,

by the way i believe that there is a harpoon -3 model,what is its status ,is it on offer for export?

mysterious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Second F-22 P frigate arrives in Karachi

KARACHI: The second of four F-22 P warships, the PNS Shamsher, constructed in collaboration with China arrived at the Karachi seaport on Saturday. The ship was commissioned in December last year in Shanghai. The ISPR (Navy) said the ship was welcomed by PN surface and aviation units out at the sea.

Commander Pakistan Fleet Rear Admiral Tanveer Faiz and a large number of naval officers later attended a reception ceremony for the ship’s crewmembers. PNS Shamsher is second warship of the four being constructed in collaboration with China at Hudong Zhonghua shipyard in Shanghai. app

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Two down, two more to go.. It would be interesting to see how things unfold in terms of Pakistan Navy opting for other surface vessels to bolster its aging fleet.

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Second F-22 P frigate arrives in Karachi

KARACHI: The second of four F-22 P warships, the PNS Shamsher, constructed in collaboration with China arrived at the Karachi seaport on Saturday. The ship was commissioned in December last year in Shanghai. The ISPR (Navy) said the ship was welcomed by PN surface and aviation units out at the sea.

Commander Pakistan Fleet Rear Admiral Tanveer Faiz and a large number of naval officers later attended a reception ceremony for the ship’s crewmembers. PNS Shamsher is second warship of the four being constructed in collaboration with China at Hudong Zhonghua shipyard in Shanghai. app

Daily Times - Leading News Resource of Pakistan

Two down, two more to go.. It would be interesting to see how things unfold in terms of Pakistan Navy opting for other surface vessels to bolster its aging fleet.
I was there yesterday when it arrived. An interesting sight. In past one week I have seen almost everything PN has :D

Anyways here are the pics I took:
http://www.defencetalk.com/forums/m...achi-port-1st-time-exclusive-9977/#post188907