The Russian-Ukrainian War Thread

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member

Is Brit still keep them on workable conditions? If not mistaken I watch YouTube video shown some UK civilians manage to get hold few of them. So is there any inventories still in military grade storage? I Imagine some in UK perhaps trying to buy back Challenger 1 from Jordan, or perhaps some wondering why the entire Challenger 1 being sold to Jordanian at first place.

The chieftain fleet is long since dispersed, disposed of for scrap or to civilian collectors and all were demilled on disposal. However, the article is talking about Challenger 1 - and most of the UK CR1 fleet were disposed of to Jordan, and have since been retired from service. I have no idea what standard fit out they have, or what upgrades they received in service in,or what condition there were retired in but the fleet is rumoured to be in storage. It's possible that they could be pulled from storage, refurbished and if so, would represent a large, homogenous fleet of tanks which would present a very credible threat to most of the Russian armour we've seen in theatre.

CR1 is almost a completely different tank to CR2 however, so spares interchange, less than one might think - although they both use the same engine.
It's not totally impossible, put it that way.

Chieftain on the other hand, no, not at all - not from UK stocks at least.

vonnoobie

Regarding the Chieftain/Challenger 1 tanks Jordan pretty much has the only fleet size of any real number from a nation that is on solid terms with the west with 274 Khalid's which are the precursor to the Challenger 1's and up to 400 or so Challenger 1's. The hull's for the most part are the same except the Challenger 1 incorporates Chobham armor and has a raised engine compartment. In theory one could actually if willing to put the time and money into it update the Khalid and Challenger 1's all the way up to Challenger 2's or even 3's (But would likely require stripping tanks down to bare hulls, tossing away turrets and all and replacing everything so don't think that would be ideal but maybe?

Even with out any updates and taking them as are they would still be a good option for Ukraine.

swerve

Super Moderator
Stripping the tanks down to bare hulls, throwing away the turrets, & rebuilding them? What's the point? There are some decrepit old Leopard 2 sitting around which could be modernised with much less effort.

Refurbish so they're fit to operate, maybe. But how much 120mm rifled ammo is available? What's the production capacity, & how easily & at what cost could it be expanded?

StobieWan

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stripping the tanks down to bare hulls, throwing away the turrets, & rebuilding them? What's the point? There are some decrepit old Leopard 2 sitting around which could be modernised with much less effort.

Refurbish so they're fit to operate, maybe. But how much 120mm rifled ammo is available? What's the production capacity, & how easily & at what cost could it be expanded?
Absolutely. Brakes, oil filters and off you go.

Ammunition? Ukraine, you have 400 or so tanks, here's the production licence, off you go.

Anything more complicated, it's not worth the candle. The US has stores of m1s in depth, they're available year after next.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

KipPotapych

Providing comments is literally part of the rules for posting outside materials. Please provide some additional explanation, commentary, or something of added value beyond just a link.
Isn’t “a good listen” a comment of itself? Can I take a ngatimozart’s (fairly certain, but I may be mistaken the user) clause where they say something along the lines of “no commentary on purpose, but here is a ISW report for you to consider and make your own interpretations” and, perhaps a few copy/paste paragraphs?

Edit: The idea of the post was basically to let members know that there is a free half an hour of a good listen of otherwise paid podcast, where people with a solid knowledge base and good ideas and feel of the situation express their opinions. I can comment, sure:

I agree with Mike, I think it was completely nuts to go on a straight frontal attack at the Orikhiv axis because of the established defence lines, Russian troops that are fairly well rested, but mainly because that was the most obvious place with the most rewards that was talked about in the media and otherwise of the most expected Ukrainian counteroffensive efforts.

This is quite literally (as far as defence lines are concerned) what the Russians have been doing at Avdiivka, Mariinka, for example, and Vuhledar in particular without much progress since they approached these places a long while ago. Bakhmut, on the other hand, was a grind but a success at a great cost (but no expense to the “regular” Russian forces), yet could be lost further down the line.

I sincerely hope this is a sufficient commentary but I could expand further if necessary.

Last edited:

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Isn’t “a good listen” a comment of itself? Can I take a ngatimozart’s (fairly certain, but I may be mistaken the user) clause where they say something along the lines of “no commentary on purpose, but here is a ISW report for you to consider and make your own interpretations” and, perhaps a few copy/paste paragraphs?

Edit: The idea of the post was basically to let members know that there is a free half an hour of a good listen of otherwise paid podcast, where people with a solid knowledge base and good ideas and feel of the situation express their opinions. I can comment, sure:

I agree with Mike, I think it was completely nuts to go on a straight frontal attack at the Orikhiv axis because of the established defence lines, Russian troops that are fairly well rested, but mainly because that was the most obvious place with the most rewards that was talked about in the media and otherwise of the most expected Ukrainian counteroffensive efforts.

This is quite literally (as far as defence lines are concerned) what the Russians have been doing at Avdiivka, Mariinka, for example, and Vuhledar in particular without much progress since they approached these places a long while ago. Bakhmut, on the other hand, was a grind but a success at a great cost (but no expense to the “regular” Russian forces), yet could be lost further down the line.

I sincerely hope this is a sufficient commentary but I could expand further if necessary.
A "good listen" isn't comment enough. My ISW comments are: "These are deliberately posted without comment in order for members to reach their own conclusions." It is specific to that post. The readers can read the ISW material and ISW list their sources.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

Not a whole lot has happened. There are two major areas of interest where heavy fighting is still happening, one of them is still the Zaporozhye area. But the other is the Oskol front where Russia has been on the attack, gaining ground albeit quite slowly. There is a third minor area of interest, where Ukrainian forces have put considerable pressure of Klescheevka, in an attempt to begin encirclement of the Artemovsk/Bakhmut area from the south. Overall the fighting has turned into a meatgrinder and it's unclear who's getting the worst of it. On the one hand Russia is reportedly losing a lot of artillery to Ukrainian counter-battery efforts. On the other hand Ukraine hasn't gained any ground and continues to expend manpower and vehicles in less-than-successful attacks on a broad front.

Zaporozhye.

No significant ground has changed hands at all. Ukrainian pushes at Pyatihatka and Orekhov to Rabotino are still stalled where they were last time. Several more attacks have occured, strong points were taken and lost repeatedly, but no significant movement. At the Vremyevskiy bulge the continuing push with many small infantry teams have allowed Ukrainian forces to gain some more ground in the center of the bulge, making a push on Staromayorskoe and Urozhanoe easier, with some reports having Ukrainian forces dug in on the outskirts of Urozhaynoe.

Ukrainian MRAPs unloading infantry near Staromayorskoe getting hit by ATGM fire. Some survive and withdraw. Note this is confirmation that Staromayorskoe is contested.

A Ukrainian MRAP column gets taken apart, Zaporozhye area. One surviving vehicle pulls back.

A Russian source from the front lines reports a total of 3 Bradleys and a Leopard destroyed, along with allegedly ~70 infantry, in another failed company-sized attack.

Russian FPV strike on a Bradley, possibly one of the ones in the link above.

Three Bradleys getting hit, some with BRAT ERA. We see a T-72 with mine trawl knocked out next to one of them. Note they aim the drones for less protected sections of the vehicle.

Ukrainian T-72AV with mine trawl allegedly abandoned after artillery fires, possibly knocked out or immobilized.

Ukrainian Leo-2 getting hit by a loitering munition. The video claims it's a 2A4, but it looks like a 2A6 to me.

The Ukrainian soldier filming shows us a destroyed Leopard, and reports another in a nearby tree-line.

A Ukrainian recon team pulling back after allegedly a failed probing attack, takes fire from AGS-17s.

Russian AGS-17 fires, Zaporozhye area. Note, this appears to be Russian positions that have been entered by Ukrainian infantry and now they're being repulsed by fire.

Russian Ka-52/Ka-52M fires, Vremyevskiy bulge area. The question of how to counter the Ka-52 with it's 10 km ranged Vikhr remains unanswered. Presumably if Russia had enough of both helos and missiles, they alone could pose a huge obstacle.

An M-777 getting hit north of Pyatihatka. While the overall tempo of Russian anti-artillery strikes hasn't decreased, in Zaporozhye area specifically Russia has managed to take out relatively few Ukrainian artillery pieces. Part of this might be Russia's focus on the actual attacking troops, including saving their Lancets for enemy armor. Part of this might be that Ukraine has focused more capable Caesars and PzH-2000s in the area and outranges Russian artillery considerably.

Russian TOS-1 fires, Zaporozhye.

Allegedly another Bradley captured by BARS-11, Zaporozhye area. They claim it has BRAT ERA. We don't get a shot of the exterior, it's possible this is the same one we've seen captured before.

A destroyed MaxxPro, Zaporozhye area, context unclear.

Another destroyed MaxxPro, near the Vremyevskiy bulge.

The first M88A2 Hercules destroyed in Ukraine. A total of 8 were delivered.

A Bradley hit a landmine. Note there is no sign of enemy activity, and infantry is walking around their vehicle in the open.

A Leo-2A4 hit a landmine and then took an ATGM hit. The vehicle is clearly knocked out but likely repairable.

Two Leo-2A6s getting hit, one by Krasnopol', the other with a loitering munition.

An M113 getting hit by an ATGM near Rabotino.

Ukrainian D-20 getting hit, Zaporozhye area.

A rare Ukrainian BTR-80 and BTR-82A (80A?) getting hit.

Apparently a Leo-2 got hit in the same area as that BTR-80.

Russian FPV drone strikes against Ukrainian infantry.

A pile of destroyed Ukrainian vehicles. I see what looks like a BREM-1, 3 Bradleys, and a T-64BV. This is almost certainly old destroyed vehicles from prior pushes.

A large Ukrainian troop column moving to attack east of the Vremyevskiy bulge. Note the dispersion. Clearly they've learned something.

Ukrainian Bradley with BRAT ERA and Leo-2A6.

A look at Bradley maintenance in the field, Zaporozhye area.

A Ukrainian Leo-2A4 with ERA and camo-netting, Zaporozhye.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Oskol Front.

Near Kupyansk Russian forces have expanded their foothold across the Zherebets, as well as taking the Liman 1st railroad station as they continue to push towards Kupyansk. There are also some gains on the other side of the Oskol, though again we're talking about fairly small territories. In woods of Kremennaya the Russian push has effectively stalled. Russia does have a fairly strong salient pushing towards Liman but it hasn't gained ground for the past week likely due to Ukrainian counter-attacks. As it stands we have reports of Ukrainian reserves being committed to the Oskol front to counter the Russian push here and this is likely the real goal of this attack.

Ukrainian artillery getting hit near Kupyansk, we have a Krab and a 2S1.

Russian Kub loitering munition strike near Kupyansk. Allegedly the vehicles are Ukrainian transports. Personally I have some doubts about the efficacy of such a small munition being used against a building.

Some combat footage from the Russian salient towards Krasniy Liman. The person filming is wounded, loses a finger, tourniquets himself, and pulls back.

4 Ukrainian POWs being taken in the woods near Kremennaya.

Ukrainian T-80BV getting hit near Kremennaya.

Ukrainian T-55S getting hit near Kremennaya. Previously there was some confusion, it now seems fairly certain that the 67th Mech, riding these tanks, is on the Oskol front.

A rare tank-on-tank engagement took place near Kremennaya where Russian tankers took out a Ukrainian MBT by first hitting it with a barrel-launched ATGM, and then a cumulative round. It makes quite the explosion. This took place at night so there's no UAV BDA, and reportedly the tank was evacuated by morning. I suspect this is another T-55S getting taken out.

An interesting look at battle damage to a Ukrainian T-55S that took a roof-hit from a Krasnopol' but apparently survived.

A series of Russian bomb strikes over Kharkov and Chernigov area, undoubtedly aimed at the rears of Ukrainian forces on the Oskol front.

A Russian 2S19 on the Oskol Front, with a massive roof cage.

Russian TOS-1A with a roof cage, Oskol front.

Other interesting tidbits.

Russian forces near Klescheevka are in a difficult situation. Ukraine, after multiple attempts, has managed to captured some key hills south of the village. This makes holding the village very hard. It's possible Russia will counter-attack and retake the heights, but if they don't, Ukraine is poised to take Klescheevka. Efforts to break Russian lines north-west of Artemovsk/Bakhmut have failed.

A very rare Ukrainian Bogdana howitzer getting hit. The fact that it has shown up on the front line at all suggests some sort of production has been set up.

We have confirmation of the Spanish Skyguard Aspide on the front lines. The confirmation comes in the form of it getting hit by a Russian strikes. It was initially misidentified as a NASAMS.

An interesting video of a Russian S-60/MT-LB hybrid executing a fire-mission. Note despite the S-60 being an autocannon, based on this missile it's clear it would have a hard time operating direct-fire against enemies that can return fire.

A Shahed drone that fell in Nikolaev apparently still sports western components.

A Russian T-62M apparently took a hit to the front armor but survived. Unclear what hit it, the post says "shell" which suggests some sort of tank fires (since artillery is unlikely to strike like this).

Russia shot down two Bayraktar TB-2s near Kherson area, carrying bombs. It's unclear what's behind this increased activity, but it marks a significant departure. We haven't seen Bayraktars downed in a while. One was downed by Russia's 80th Arctic Bde. This unit has been mostly absent from reports until now.

Ukraine has reportedly received British truck-mounted Brimstone launchers. This is different from the previously sighted civilian vans with Brimstone launchers hidden in the back.

Two Russian Zoopark-1M counter-battery radars destroyed. Note this is part of a pattern of Ukrainian efforts to take out Russian artillery. This has been the focus of Ukraine's efforts over the past ~1 month or so, and has caused quite a bit of damage.

Bulgaria is reportedly handing over ~100 BTR-60s to Ukraine. Despite the much publicized handover of Marders and Bradleys to Ukraine, most of the Ukrainian military continues to ride either unarmored trucks and jeeps or Soviet/WarPac vehicles. Reasonably modern western armored vehicles remain the exception.

A Ukrainian BMD-BMP hybrid got its own roof cage. Not at least 4 of these hybrids were produced, and at least 2 destroyed.

Ukraine has received BRAT ERA for their Bradleys. Note the footage is from training suggesting there is an element with Bradleys not currently on the front lines.

Russian 39th Motor-Rifles with their up-gunned modified MT-LB. Desperate times and desperate measures, but certainly better then riding unarmored vehicles into battle. And there are Russian elements whose primary transports are trucks and SUVs.

Russian repair work on the Crimean bridge.

Despite the major war effort, it appears some Russian companies have still been selling off "surplus" military kit this entire time. There is now apparently an end to this.

A Russian Kamaz-6530 with an armored cabin installed.

A Russian T-72B3, unsure what variant. The hodge-podge of mismatched ERA makes it very hard to tell.

The month of July has set another record for Russian loitering munition use with 62 used so far. May was close with 62 videos published, but July isn't over yet.

So far there has been many reports and footage of Leo-2‘s being hit. I’m curious if there are also reports of Leo-2 hitting targets and doing damage. What are Ukrainian troops saying about them? Are they doing a better job than their Soviet counterparts, or there is no real improvement? It’s been a while since they’ve been on the frontline, so Ukrainian troops should already know about their effectiveness in real combat. Anyone heard anything ahout this?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far there has been many reports and footage of Leo-2‘s being hit. I’m curious if there are also reports of Leo-2 hitting targets and doing damage. What are Ukrainian troops saying about them? Are they doing a better job than their Soviet counterparts, or there is no real improvement? It’s been a while since they’ve been on the frontline, so Ukrainian troops should already know about their effectiveness in real combat. Anyone heard anything ahout this?
You ask some great questions to which I haven't seen any good answers. Just in principle even a Leo-2A4 (the older variant) should be miles ahead of the T-72M1s Ukraine has been getting and probably on par or better then the T-64BVs the Ukrainian military predominantly fielded pre-war. But real combat feedback would be ideal. It's possible Ukraine has gotten relatively few opportunities to engage targets with them, due to the nature of the battlefield (mines, artillery, and ATGMs at long ranges).

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Allegedly another Bradley captured by BARS-11, Zaporozhye area. They claim it has BRAT ERA. We don't get a shot of the exterior, it's possible this is the same one we've seen captured before.

It appears we have shot from the outside showing the BRAT ERA on the sides of the captured Bradley, making this the second confirmed captured Bradley. Note there isn't evidence of Russia successfully evacuating the first one. It's unclear whether Russia will be able to evacuate this one either. I guess we will find out if Russia ends up showing off their trophies at some domestic expo. In the grey are currently the fates of a knocked out Leopard (there were claims Russia captured one), 2 AMX-10s photographed up close and knocked out but not destroyed, as well as two Bradleys. We saw two captured MRAPs getting hauled off by Russian Marines. Weight and size of the vehicle clearly matter for that.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

This video on KA-52M operation, shown at least in my opinion, that helicopter gunship still matter as anti armor operation. This is despite talks by defense pundit on this war shown weaknesses of helicopter gunship.

I believe that talk derive due to superiority of US gunship during Gulf war. Sometimes forget that unlike US, Russia or Ukrainian Gunship operated on much less air superior coverage. However if right situation come (less air defense cover from opponent), then Helicopter Gunship can shown their value as anti armor.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member

This video on KA-52M operation, shown at least in my opinion, that helicopter gunship still matter as anti armor operation. This is despite talks by defense pundit on this war shown weaknesses of helicopter gunship.

I believe that talk derive due to superiority of US gunship during Gulf war. Sometimes forget that unlike US, Russia or Ukrainian Gunship operated on much less air superior coverage. However if right situation come (less air defense cover from opponent), then Helicopter Gunship can shown their value as anti armor.
Russia prepared poorly for this fight and this includes the fact that the Mi-28N was carrying an outdated ATGM with a 5.8 km range. Consequently, both due to the density of Soviet-era GBAD and Russia's poor preparation, they underperformed. Now that LMURs seem more available, and the Ka-52 can use it's Vikhr, while Ukraine's air defenses are far fewer, they can show themselves again.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

I think that those who foretell the doom of the helo gunship on the battlefield, are the same as those who foretold the doom of the tank on the battlefield; uninformed. Tactics and strategies in their use will, and do, change over time because any war is always dynamic, not fixed.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Ukrainian report on the war. He claims that the UKR have advanced in Zaporizhia pushing the Russian forces back.

A claim that the Russians are running low on artillery munitions. Also some discussion on possible Putin replacements.

Some improvised munitions by Ukrainians. Have to admire their ingenuity. The Armourers Bench is a UK Royal Armoury channel and has done some previous videos on improvised weapons and munitions used in the Russo - Ukrainian War.

A video on UKR refurbishment of captured Russian weapons and munitions.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Ukrainian report on the war. He claims that the UKR have advanced in Zaporizhia pushing the Russian forces back.
Let's see. The fighting is under a microscope. Villages changing hands get confirmation. Putting "the hard part is done" in the thumbnail is frankly silly and makes me question the seriousness of whoever made this video. The hard part will be assaulting a city like Donetsk.

A claim that the Russians are running low on artillery munitions. Also some discussion on possible Putin replacements.

Some improvised munitions by Ukrainians. Have to admire their ingenuity. The Armourers Bench is a UK Royal Armoury channel and has done some previous videos on improvised weapons and munitions used in the Russo - Ukrainian War.
I mean there is a clear contradiction here. Russia is low on munitions but Ukraine is ingenious for making improvised munitions out of energy drink cans? Presumably Ukraine is not low on munitions? Pulling munitions from the 40s and 30s is certainly desperate. But if you're desperate it's better to have then not to have. Instead of fantasizing about Ukrainian nukes one might reasonably consider whether it wouldn't have been smarter of Ukraine to hold on to their Soviet-era stockpiles, instead of selling them off at bargain basement prices to anyone who would pay.

KipPotapych

^ According to Manturov (the Russians Minister of Industry and Trade), so a few pounds of salt and possibly more, production of some munitions (he didn’t specify which other than the “means of destruction”) is at least twelve times what it was last year - in other words they produce every month more than they did for the entire 2022. Via Google translate:

"Since the beginning of this year, much more has already been produced for many types of weapons, military special equipment than in the whole last year. And if we talk about the means of destruction, we are now reaching a level at which deliveries exceed the total order last year in just one month," said Mr. Manturov (quoted from RIA Novosti).

The Minister noted that most enterprises withstand "unprecedented schedules and volumes." According to him, "individual breakdowns" are quickly "catched up" or compensated by similar products.

The main problem he is saying is the lack of workers and they need about 16,000 new pairs of hands to keep the MIC running proper, according to the same article:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Update.

There is movement on two sections of the front. One is Russia's developing offensive on the Oskol Front which keeps shifting from Kupyansky axis to Svatovo axis, to Kremennaya-Krasniy Liman axis. The other is continuing Ukrainian gains around Klescheevka.

Oskol Front.

There is some disagreement about the the extent of the advance but it appears the village of Sergeevka has fallen to Russia, and Nadiya and Novoegorovka are either contested or under Russian control as well. Prior to this push Russia secured two footholds across the Zherebets, first one north-west of Novovodyanoe, then one west of Karamazinovka. Now we have two more footholds north of that yet. The intent seems to be to establish multiple footholds across the river but this is the first push that has attempted to grab a village and apparently succeeded. This may be part of an attempt to draw Ukrainian reserves. It may also be a real attempt to attack towards the Oskol river.

Ukrainian POWs captured near Kremennaya. Note the Russian advance there seems to have halted after reaching the outskirts of Torskoe.

Ukrainian T-64BV hit near Kremennaya. Note the video is credited to the Sudoplatov volunteer btln, which is in Zaporozhye. This is likely inaccurate.

Two CV90s getting hit by loitering munitions.

Allegedly another CV90 destroyed near Kremennaya. We know there is a Ukrainian unit riding them in that area, and they seem to be engaged in a less-than productive manner with Russian forces in the woods.

Russian MBT and BMP delivering supporting fires in the woods of Kremennaya.

Near Kupyansk Russian forces have continued attempts to attack, as well as repulsing Ukrainian counter-attacks but haven't gained any ground. To me it really doesn't look like an attempt to take Kupyansk, though it could develop into one in theory. Russian positions across the Oskol are tenuous and don't appear to be much of a bridgehead for further attacks. Attacking head on would require going through the various suburbs of the town before hitting it proper. Not impossible but likely a slog.

Russian strike on Ukrainian infantry and unarmored vehicles near Kupyansk.

Allegedly a Krab getting hit near Kupyansk.

Russian T-90M near Kupyansk.

Allegedly a Caesar howitzer getting hit in Kharkov region (other source claims near Krasniy Liman). Note we can't really make out what artillery this is, though it definitely looks like artillery of some sort.

Artemovsk/Bakhmut.

It appears Ukraine has contested Klescheevka. Information remains contradictory but it seems Ukraine is gaining ground. Again unless some sort of Russian counter-attack takes place, it's likely Ukraine will take the village. Russian sources are reporting major Ukrainian casualties in the fighting. Given the back and forth over the hills around it this is likely true. The question of Russian casualties remains open.

Russian element on the outskirts of Klescheevka gets ambushed. The BMP gets hit but manages to escape, the infantry scatters and returns fire. This is presented as a Russian recon element but I have my doubts.

Russian artillery fire into Klescheevka confirming the village is contested, at least at one point.

A destroyed M113 near Klescheevka.

A destroyed T-64BV near Klescheevka. Allegedly Ukrainian. Note it's very likely to be Ukrainian since Wagner took the village and I don't recall seeing them riding any T-64s. The real question is whether this tank was destroyed recently. On the one hand burned out tanks can look old. On the other hand the ERA looks deliberately removed. This suggests an older loss.

Interesting tidbits.

An interesting video of close quarters trench combat between a Russian assault team and Ukrainian defenders. The Ukrainian machinegunner seems particularly inept. He appears to hit a friendly soldier with a grenade toss, while completely missing the Russian soldiers.

The combat load of a Russian tank reveals ancient (iirc '70s) BM-23 sabot rounds, as well as brand new Svinets-2 manufactured in 2023, and '80s vintage tank-launched ATGMs.

An SB-600 loitering munition went down in Donetsk region, allegedly due to Russian EW.

Not that The Sun is a good source, but reporting a Ukrainian Leo-2A6 getting hit as a Russian tank is RussiaToday levels of silly.

US cluster munitions are apparently already in Ukraine.