Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN) update

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Yesterday, Malaysia officialy ink the LoA as part of procurement of 3 LMS2 base on Turkiye corvette Milgem Ada class. As the article (base on previous Xavier video), shown the basic differences with Ada class is existence of 4 VLS cells. Naval News quite certaint that the each VLS will be quad pack with ROK Haegung VL SAM. However seems some Malaysian online enthusiasts not quite certaint on SAM selection yet. Malaysian defense Marhalim still put question mark on SAM choice yet.

LMS2 will be build all 3 of them by Turkiye yard. Not surprising as LUNAS yard still full on the contract with LCS work (together with Naval Group). Putting the contract with Turkiye yard also shown Malaysia now want more predictable time table.

Last edited:

koxinga

More details released by STM. Only the SAM is unconfirmed.

Interesting they went back to 76mm for the main gun, given the preference for 57mm Bofors for the LCS project and the earlier Lekiu class. Mostly Turkish equipment.

The delivery dates are also aggressive and it means they get the hulls early, while the LCS project is still on-going (timeline wise, 2027 means only 2/3 LCS will be delivered, if they don't screw up again)

1718123242889.png
1718123254972.png

Ananda

The Bunker Group

FB_IMG_1724564286771.jpg

TLDM (Malaysian Navy) complete refit on one of their Fincantieri Light Corvette Laksamana Class. The refit seems more focus re-hull and re-powering. Marhalim blog Malaysian Defense shown indication that they're not changing the weapons systems and sensors. I also don't find other source that shown changes on that area.

Thus seems in my perspective, it is more on TLDM effort to take stop gap measure to keep the light Corvette class operational for several years more, until they can get budget for replacement. Something that their neighbors like Indonesia, Thailand, Vietnam and in smaller sides Philippines done. Only Singapore so far in ASEAN that have enough budget to replace all of their assets within timed schedule. The rest seems has to balance between replacement and refurbishment.

Ananda

The Bunker Group

Malaysia Defense Minister say in media interview that the accident on KD Pendekar, will prompt the government to speed up replacement process for old ships. The program he is talking is LCS and LMS. Still this is already current program, means don't see how they are going to speed up the process in replacing obsolescence ships.

Thus I don't see any other way then they have to rellied on refurbishment on existing assets. As the accident involved hitting some underwater object on practically litoral waters, it is remind me on similar accident with Indonesian Navy Parchim Corvette KRI Pati Unus 8 years ago in 2016. The Corvette that time hit some underwater shipwreck near Belawan harbour entrance line.

Same thing at that time, Indonesian MinDef officials told media they will speed up replacement program. However in the end has to relied more with refurbishment program, as replacement takes more time and budget. Thus I don't see Malaysian MinDef can do more on the case of obsolescence assets, asside to increase pace of refurbishment also.

Sandhi Yudha

No loss of life, but this will concern RMN given she was refitted recently (2020) and hulls are in short supply now

According to this article, this accident was not caused because of age, but something struck the fuselage.
Here some more images.
Luckily there are no casualties, and it is an old vessel.