Eventually they are going to be loaded onto a ship anyway to deploy.
Even if they are on a train, eventually they would have to be loaded onto a truck even if used in Australia. Anything tracked is going to be a PIA and I don't see infrastructure like entire rail lines between minor cities being funded to move some of the ~70 or so tanks we have.
Rail in Australia is slow like 60-80kmph slow. I'm not sure that a ship would be significantly slower if you include scheduling, loading, unloading and getting to where its needed.
Our tanks are already in Townsville, the redbacks are in Townsville.. If they are going anywhere, it is onto a ship at Townsville and deployed globally. I don't think Darwin makes sense to move anything there and then load it onto a ship, It wouldn't be any faster than loading in Townsville.
I think that is a sub optimal, but I see it gain a lot of traction with higher ups. We need assets that can perform the mission.
If we were to get a new AOR, I think we just get a copy of what NZ ordered. Crew of 64. RAN and RNZN would then have a common platform, common crew. It could be crewed by the new merchant marine people. Training and ops would be standard between AU-NZ. Its also polar capable so could be useful as an alternative for our single polar ship, in resupplying bases or remote islands.
Supply class has those extra amphibious features, but its not an amphib. Its a supply ship that can embark small numbers and support light small company sized missions. We could put specials on them, and have that go out if we wanted something a bit more low profile than kicking in the door with Canberra's. Or they could do light HDAR stuff.
We need to look at overhauling the Canberras anyway.
Spains program which concluded last year (and our ships are used much harder than spains):
ABB has secured a contract with Navantia to upgrade Juan Carlos I with an electrical propulsion system based on dual ABB Azipod units.
www.navalnews.com
www.navantia.es
So if we are looking at having useful amphibious capability, then we need to take more seriously investing in the capability that under pins the entire ADF, the Canberras.
This basically includes opening the ship right up, replacing engines, pods, 70km of wiring, power convertors and transmissions cabinets. Changing all the valves on the ship, corrosion work, redoing toilets, kitchens, cold storage, recreation, messes, dining, offices, working spaces, etc.
It is probably also the time to look at CEAFAR and ESSM VLS. Maybe even Phalanx/SeaRAM/Laser mount at the rear.