Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

hauritz

Of course back in the day the Adelaide class came with a Mark 13 missile launcher and a magazine of 40 SM2 and harpoon missiles. Later an additional 8 VLS were added with sea sparrows. Packed a couple of Seahawks and a phalanx as well. The sea sparrows were later replaced by ESSMs, possibly quad packed, which would have given that tiny ship a pretty impressive weapon loadout.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Of course back in the day the Adelaide class came with a Mark 13 missile launcher and a magazine of 40 SM2 and harpoon missiles. Later an additional 8 VLS were added with sea sparrows. Packed a couple of Seahawks and a phalanx as well. The sea sparrows were later replaced by ESSMs, possibly quad packed, which would have given that tiny ship a pretty impressive weapon loadout.
I believe the FFGUP had ESSM from the start.

If I recall correctly the Tenix bid included replacing the Mk-13 with a Mk-41.

Wombat000

I think the ultimate solution to this reloading issue is in effect a railed reload system that transfers the new round from the magazine to the missile deck for anchoring to the empty cell that requires the reload.
the secured reload canister to be raised and the round lowered.

of course this is utterly conceptual, and would require a complete re-design of warships as I don’t think anything remotely looks like it today.

in concept would allow the ship itself to reload its own cells, in more varied sea states.

if this actually could happen, would it be a Dreadnaught moment, evolving ship analogy from muzzle loaded muskets into Bolt Action reloading.
-not fantasy fleets, but fantasy engineering instead.

Redlands18

Are there reasons why SM2 could not be fitted to the ANZAC's tactical length Mk41 VLS? Or perhaps post-AMCAP fit-out when CEAFAR2-L is fitted?

Size and weight wise appears feasible (SM2 weight 708kg versus quad packed ESSM at 1,120kg). (Individual ESSM weight 280kg).

Potential loadouts: 8x SM2 or 6x SM2 + 8x ESSM etc. Granted probably not the most ideal loadout for such a deployment so may need a second ANZAC on standby or already in-theatre to relieve the first ANZAC if they deplete their inventory, which may be able to restock at a nearby friendly naval port facility "relatively' quickly (assuming arrangements to do so are put in place). And the RAN would be operating with other allied assets to share the tasking so re-arming may be able to be factored in.

The RAN has a highly capable medium(?) Frigate compared to many even well resourced nations and surely having some extra flexibility with its (limited) VLS cells may be a useful and inexpensive capability addition for these challenging times until the replacement Hunters are ready?
Could fit only 8 SM-2 and the ESSM is the only real hard kill AD the Anzacs other than the limited AAW capability provided by the 127 and 25mm, have and is the SM-2 integrated into the Anzacs CMS?

Bob53

The Barnes Wallis types of our era don't get a foot in the door. Inventiveness is gone, replaced by mediocre.
To be clear I don’t think the gov are suggesting not supporting people with Autism but the method of funding the support will change as the current level of spend is not sustainable. The numbers coming on each year are very high which a cynic might say is some people taking advantage of a poorly administered system. First hand I know of a family friend who died about 8 months ago. He was in a wheel chair for the last 12 month. How wheel chair lift for their car was billed to NDIS via the provider at $34000. The same lift is available online for about $7k fitted. After he died his wife rang the provider and said it’s only been used for 3 months where can I send it back to be re used and they didn’t want it back. She was told Just dispose of it yourself. Same for his $7000 medical alert system that never got used. It’s these things that need to be zeroed in on.

swerve

Super Moderator
I think the ultimate solution to this reloading issue is in effect a railed reload system that transfers the new round from the magazine to the missile deck for anchoring to the empty cell that requires the reload.

of course this is utterly conceptual, and would require a complete re-design of warships as I don’t think anything remotely looks like it today.

in concept would allow the ship itself to reload its own cells, in more varied sea states.
If you have the missiles in a magazine aboard ship, why not have them in more VLS cells? No railed reload system needed.

The main problem with reloading is the need to transfer missiles from one ship to another, because missile firing ships don't have space & weight allowances for more missiles.

south

if this actually could happen, would it be a Dreadnaught moment, evolving ship analogy from muzzle loaded muskets into Bolt Action reloading.
-not fantasy fleets, but fantasy engineering instead.
If only there was a system that could hold the rounds in an armoured box, similar to a magazine while protecting them from weather, have redundancy, and even some fire fighting.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Lasers take to much against a saturation attack.

A RAM missile is 1mln a piece.

All to intercept a 20k-100k drone.

The technical solution is Iron dome with the tamir missile 50k a piece and interconnected radar capabilities for area defense.

I hope Raytheon can sell it US made or offshore it away from Israel because morally and politically , except for the US, buying Israeli is not possible.
I really don’t know much about tamir missiles and a naval adaptation of Iron Dome. I suspect it would have the same limitations of other missile defence solutions, rapid depletion of AD missiles during a saturation attack.

shadow99

I agree, something with a rigid hold on the missile, but you still need the two ships to be very stable relative to each other.
I was thinking more along the lines of being able to reload the cells from a hardened missile stores within the ship. Thus a single Mk41 launcher with a robotic reloader is only limited to the size of missile stores on ship.

Being able to locate your missile stores closer to the water line helps lower your center of gravity.

For the type 26 it would be cheaper to have an extra pair of Mk41 launchers in the Type 26 mission bay with a robotic reloader than say 8 Mk41 launchers. Saving the weight of 6 launchers is significant.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
I was thinking more along the lines of being able to reload the cells from a hardened missile stores within the ship. Thus a single Mk41 launcher with a robotic reloader is only limited to the size of missile stores on ship.

Being able to locate your missile stores closer to the water line helps lower your center of gravity.

For the type 26 it would be cheaper to have an extra pair of Mk41 launchers in the Type 26 mission bay with a robotic reloader than say 8 Mk41 launchers. Saving the weight of 6 launchers is significant.
. A bridge too far IMHO.

Bob53

So this suggests Australia really only has three warships capable of being reliably deployed into this sort of environment. Assuming the rule of three, which will be a reality as AWDs are upgraded, deploying any one AWD would leave nothing equivalent to deploy locally. That fourth AWD is looking like a sorry absence right now.

Presumably the sort of threats Iran is fielding and supplying to groups like the Houthi are going to become more common in this region. Understanding the rule of three, it seems like the RAN need six+ AWD equivalent armed ships (or better) in future, so we will always have at least two able to deploy, preferably one each from FBE and FBW. With Hunters not coming for a decade, the late 2020s are looking quite exposed.
Having only 1 of 3 deployable ships into a ballistic missile theatre isn’t really much of a surprise. It’s what the pros have been saying here for sometime.

MickB

At the time several here commented on having the last two FFGs go through an upgrade like the Anzacs (CEFAR radar etc) rather than be sold.

As for an Anzac to the Gulf, perhaps stipulate in will deploy if is in company with another vessel.
Be it NATO, USN, Asian or NZ, perhaps another nation also has a vessel that they would think twice about deploying alone but could team up with the Anzac.
After all this is how it would operate in a conflict in our own region, the RAN is unlikely to send an Anzac up north all alone.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
If only there was a system that could hold the rounds in an armoured box, similar to a magazine while protecting them from weather, have redundancy, and even some fire fighting.
A palletised reload system could work. Pallet frame fits over and locks onto the eight cell module with its doors open and the loading system is built in the pallet and lowers the canasters into the cells. The question is whether it would be light enough for vertrep.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
At the time several here commented on having the FFGs go through an ungrade like the Anzacs (CEFAR radar etc) rather than be sold.

As for an Anzac to the Gulf, perhaps stipulate in will deploy if is in company with another vessel.
Be it NATO, USN, Asian or NZ, perhaps another nation also has a vessel that they would think twice about deploying alone but could team up with the Anzac.
After all this is how it would operate in a conflict in our own region, the RAN is unlikely to send an Anzac up north all alone.
The problem is the RAN really needed a replacement for the FFGs but the money wasn't there. Well it was, we were in the middle of the biggest economic windfall the country has ever seen, but defence was not a priority and any government that spent up on buying a dozen FFGs or DDGs would have been spanked at the ballet box.

swerve

Super Moderator

That would take a lot of internal space for the missile store, passageways to allow it to be filled & the missiles to be transferred to the VLS, & handling machinery. Goes against one of the main advantages of a VLS.

OldTex

That would take a lot of internal space for the missile store, passageways to allow it to be filled & the missiles to be transferred to the VLS, & handling machinery. Goes against one of the main advantages of a VLS.
It would almost be a reinvention of the system used for Sea Slug on the RN County Class destroyers. It would definitely be a case of designing out all of the best features of the VLS.

hauritz

According to the Australian newspaper Richard Marles has played down the importance of deploying an Australian ship to the middle east citing that the navy's priorities were on our immediate region. He did say we will consider the request in due course. Given the complete lack of urgency shown by the government with defence issues this assurance probably doesn't mean a lot.

The commander of the Australian naval fleet, Rear Admiral Christopher Smith, said the navy was prepared for a government order to deploy. Got to wonder about that however as Australia apparantly only has 3 full crews for the Anzacs and that these frigates are probably undergunned for such a mission. A lot would seem to ride on whether we can deploy one of the Hobarts.