Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

el Cid

Please listen to us mi amigo. What Navantia are selling is not what we need.

No. They should be based on nothing. A Hunter with 48 cells and an accelerated build is vastly superior.

Do they? I don’t know that. What are you basing that on? By all accounts CEAFAR is world class.

Do you know how many cells the Hunter’s will have? Because that’s not public information yet.

They’re not going to be anything because I doubt we will buy them, but if they’re more expensive than the Hunters there’s no way we should buy them. The Hunters appear to be a far superior ship in every regard except for cell count, and even that is unclear.
In the posted videos they say 2 billion australian dollars each new Hobart, almost the same for the first 3 HUnters, 2 billion. It´s a bargain for having antisatellite and antiballistic capabalities.

Last edited:

Redlands18

The first video has zero credibility, it is nothing more than a YouTuber with a grand total of 2500 subs, trying to sell his videos. The 2nd one is nothing more than an Australian News channel "claiming" that members of the RAN are pushing for the Navantia proposal, both videos are over a year old.
There is currently NO publicly announced decision to acquire any further Navantia vessels at this time, the members telling you are mainly Australian's, we know what we talking about.
You have made the claim that the F-110 could be built with 48 VLS Cells, room for 2 Helicopters and be both BMD and antisatellite capable, can you please provide credible evidence for these claims as you are required to do under the Forum rules and I can assure you @Global Defence Corp and their 2500 subs will not pass master, nor @Sky News Australia.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I suggest looking a bit wider for sources, particularly ones with more depth than a sound-byte in YouTube clips.

Here is a link to a Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) article from last year. In the article it is quite clear that Navantia made an offer to build three more destroyers for $6 bil.

Elsewhere, DefenceConnect has this article here, which reference articles originally published in the Australian, but again firmly stating that the proposal came from Navantia (Navantia Australia this time).

I am not linking to the Australian articles because they are entirely behind a paywall.

There is also this article in the Australian Financial Review, whilst mostly paywalled, one sees that the Spanish PM was expected raise the issue of Navantia's offer to the Australian PM when they met for a bilateral meeting last year prior to Spain hosting a NATO summit.

The first YouTube clip linked mentioned the SEA 4000 project which was the assigned project number for the three Hobart-class DDG's currently in service with the RAN, but there been no updates to that project on the Defence site to indicate plans to order three additional destroyers. The clip also stated that the Australian government asked Navantia to 'step up' it's offer to build three more Air Warfare Destroyers. Now I am not particularly familiar with the Global Defence Corp YouTube channel, but it seems to be one that makes AI-generated YouTube content by scraping the internet for articles of defence news, then making a video clip collection related to some of what it has scraped together. One of the problems with using something like this as a source is that much (sometimes everything) is lost in terms of context. In the case of this specific video, it seemed to largely overlook that the offer for three additional destroyers came from Navantia.

The second YouTube clip never even mentioned who made the offer or request for three additional destroyers for the RAN.

Now one might be asking by now why I am placing so much emphasis and importance on who (which entity) made the offer or request. From my POV the origin of the offer or request is very important. The reasoning behind this belief on the importance is that if the origin was the RAN, by putting in a request to industry, that would indicate that the RAN wants/needs and is planning on adding additional vessels to the fleet. OTOH if the origin was Navantia, with an offer to build more warships, then such an offer made has nothing to do with what the RAN and AusGov is planning. In other words, Navantia made an offer which Australia might be completely disinterested in.

As a side note, it might be worth looking back in this thread to around when the offer was made, June/July of 2022, as I recall we had a bit of discussion on the topic here on DT at the time. One thing I remember being struck by at the time, was that the offer sounded a bit questionable at the time, due in large measure to claims made by Navantia on the costs, as well as how quickly the offer could be delivered, particularly given how long the lead times were/are for some of the kit.

EDIT: Here is a link to where discussion of the Navantia offer first took place on this thread in July 2022, which also includes a link to the Age article mentioning Navantia's offer.

Last edited:

el Cid

I suggest looking a bit wider for sources, particularly ones with more depth than a sound-byte in YouTube clips.

Here is a link to a Sydney Morning Herald (SMH) article from last year. In the article it is quite clear that Navantia made an offer to build three more destroyers for $6 bil.

Elsewhere, DefenceConnect has this article here, which reference articles originally published in the Australian, but again firmly stating that the proposal came from Navantia (Navantia Australia this time).

I am not linking to the Australian articles because they are entirely behind a paywall.

There is also this article in the Australian Financial Review, whilst mostly paywalled, one sees that the Spanish PM was expected raise the issue of Navantia's offer to the Australian PM when they met for a bilateral meeting last year prior to Spain hosting a NATO summit.

The first YouTube clip linked mentioned the SEA 4000 project which was the assigned project number for the three Hobart-class DDG's currently in service with the RAN, but there been no updates to that project on the Defence site to indicate plans to order three additional destroyers. The clip also stated that the Australian government asked Navantia to 'step up' it's offer to build three more Air Warfare Destroyers. Now I am not particularly familiar with the Global Defence Corp YouTube channel, but it seems to be one that makes AI-generated YouTube content by scraping the internet for articles of defence news, then making a video clip collection related to some of what it has scraped together. One of the problems with using something like this as a source is that much (sometimes everything) is lost in terms of context. In the case of this specific video, it seemed to largely overlook that the offer for three additional destroyers came from Navantia.

The second YouTube clip never even mentioned who made the offer or request for three additional destroyers for the RAN.

Now one might be asking by now why I am placing so much emphasis and importance on who (which entity) made the offer or request. From my POV the origin of the offer or request is very important. The reasoning behind this belief on the importance is that if the origin was the RAN, by putting in a request to industry, that would indicate that the RAN wants/needs and is planning on adding additional vessels to the fleet. OTOH if the origin was Navantia, with an offer to build more warships, then such an offer made has nothing to do with what the RAN and AusGov is planning. In other words, Navantia made an offer which Australia might be completely disinterested in.

As a side note, it might be worth looking back in this thread to around when the offer was made, June/July of 2022, as I recall we had a bit of discussion on the topic here on DT at the time. One thing I remember being struck by at the time, was that the offer sounded a bit questionable at the time, due in large measure to claims made by Navantia on the costs, as well as how quickly the offer could be delivered, particularly given how long the lead times were/are for some of the kit.

EDIT: Here is a link to where discussion of the Navantia offer first took place on this thread in July 2022, which also includes a link to the Age article mentioning Navantia's offer.
My interpretation from "growing support from the navy for 3 new Hobarts" in Sky news, or "the offer is going to be reviewed by certain body by march" by Sky news, but more important it was the australian prime minister who came to Madrid, so probably is Australia who is asking for the offer. It is Australia knocking the door of Madrid. I trust more in Sky news than in the personnel in this forum.

The longer video is an expansion based on the Sky news video, because it uses the same words "fast track" which is not a coincidence, this video clearly states it was Australia petition.

Last edited:

el Cid

The first video has zero credibility, it is nothing more than a YouTuber with a grand total of 2500 subs, trying to sell his videos. The 2nd one is nothing more than an Australian News channel "claiming" that members of the RAN are pushing for the Navantia proposal, both videos are over a year old.
There is currently NO publicly announced decision to acquire any further Navantia vessels at this time, the members telling you are mainly Australian's, we know what we talking about.
You have made the claim that the F-110 could be built with 48 VLS Cells, room for 2 Helicopters and be both BMD and antisatellite capable, can you please provide credible evidence for these claims as you are required to do under the Forum rules and I can assure you @Global Defence Corp and their 2500 subs will not pass master, nor @Sky News Australia.
You can find the antisatellite capability of the Sm3 missile at the end or the article.
RIM-161 Standard Missile 3 - Wikipedia

Its obvious the F110 can be designed with 48 cells, its very little modification in the overall weight.

Last edited:

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
My interpretation from "growing support from the navy for 3 new Hobarts" in Sky news, or "the offer is going to be reviewed by certain body by march" by Sky news, but more important it was the australian prime minister who came to Madrid, so probably is Australia who is asking for the offer. It is Australia knocking the door of Madrid. I trust more in Sky news than in the personnel in this forum.
Thank you for providing zero credibility to support your thoughts or claims. You have also demonstrated an aversion to reading through links others have posted, since they directly address and in some cases counter and dispel claims or assumptions you have made.

For instance, the Australian PM Albanese met with the Spanish PM Sanchez in June 2022 in Madrid as part of a bilateral meeting ahead of a NATO summit that Spain was hosting. According to the reporting in a number of news sources, the Spanish PM raised the issue of the Navantia offer with the Australian PM.

The story as reported by the Age, was first linked here in this thread over a year ago. The reporting of the same story by the SMH was linked to in this thread earlier today.

To go from a PM to PM meeting ahead of an international summit that one of the PM's countries is hosting, to a belief that Australia is interested in a Navantia offer for warships because the Australian PM met with the Spanish PM in Spain is a rather questionable thought process, particularly given the reporting that it was the Spanish PM and not the Australian PM who brought up Navantia's offer.

I suspect, but do not know, that the meeting between the PM's would most likely have never happened if Spain had not been hosting the NATO summit. BTW here is a link to the NATO page on the 2022 NATO Summit which took place in Madrid from 28 June to 30 June 2022.

Given your claims which are at once both unsupported and rather outlandish, as well as your apparent refusal or inability to absorb posts which sometimes suggest something other than you claim, whilst directly refuting it in other cases, one begins to wonder whether or not one is posting just to get a reaction or response from others.

For example, claims were made that the F110 design could be changed to support 48 VLS cells, which is triple (3x) the number of cells the design is currently fitted with. Similarly, claims were made that the design could be changed to support two embarked naval helicopters which is twice (2x) what the F110 is currently designed for. Such changes to the fitout of a vessel are quite significant and would require some pretty significant redesign work, and all this for a ship design that is smaller than and has a lower planned displacement for the RAN's existing Hobart-class DDG, which the RAN has already found to be a bit too small. In order to accommodate such changes to a ship's fitout, either the design would need to be increased in size/displacement, or existing kit and spaces would need to be deleted/moved in favour of the claimed additions, or more likely both things would need to occur. The need for such redesign work would also significantly impact the ability to deliver vessels within the timeframe Navantia claimed was possible last year, and I and others questioned those claims at the time since they seemed overly optimistic, at best.

Now if one has actual, credible information which would illuminate the current situation, then by all means post it. However, to continue to cling to beliefs which are counter to information which is currently known and then compose posts based off those beliefs and assumptions which originate from them is to engage in posting with zero credibly and largely or entirely illogical & fantastical thinking.

Scott Elaurant

If people think the issues of getting the RAN and Australia ready to operate a HEU-powered nuke boat are a problem now, consider what the problems would look like if Australia tried to have someone mate a French LEU-nuke design with an American CMS. IMO that would get torpedoed before first steel could ever get ordered, never mind cut.
Again, I think the reason for avoiding the French SSN option was political, not technical. Fitting the US combat system to the Barracuda design was already part of the Attack class project. This was being done by Lockheed Martin with US approval. By all reports LM were performing well on that work at the time of Attack cancellation. The Lockheed Martin workforce that had been working on fitting the US combat system to the Attack class were redeployed after the contract settlement. See details in this article.

This was also confirmed by local press.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Again, I think the reason for avoiding the French SSN option was political, not technical. Fitting the US combat system to the Barracuda design was already part of the Attack class project. This was being done by Lockheed Martin with US approval. By all reports LM were performing well on that work at the time of Attack cancellation. The Lockheed Martin workforce that had been working on fitting the US combat system to the Attack class were redeployed after the contract settlement. See details in this article.

This was also confirmed by local press.
I think you missed the gist of my post. There was a work group managing the combat system integration for the conventionally powered Attack-class design, and it was being handled in a way that would keep information on the combat system way from the French. Had the design been both French and LEU reactor powered, then in addition to existing American concerns about possible access to US sub tech by the French, the French would naturally be concerned about US accessing French sub & nuclear tech. Now this is a shot in the dark on my part, since I do not deal with such tech, but I would imagine that the US would be concerned about France learning information like the sorts of power and cooling demands the BYG-1 combat system has. Similarly, I would imagine that the French would be concerned about the US learning more about the Barracuda-class SSN's reactor and it's ability to meet power demands, and/or how differing power demands might impact the need for refueling cycles.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I appreciate that this was the stated reason for the decision but I don’t believe it. I think the real reason was political and this was the excuse. Alan Kuperman of the Lowi Institute checked with France and confirmed that the refuelling could be done. If this reason was true it makes no sense of selecting the Barracuda design for Attack in the first place. The flexibility to shift to the nuclear powered version was a stated advantage of going with DCNS (Naval) Option.

In practice the Suffren design has a special hatch to load new reactor cores and it is not dificult. If Australia ordered “spare” reactor cores from France and stockpiled them here then we could have complete control of the refuelling. Areva Technicatom has already replaced the LEU reactor core at the Lucas Heights reactor in Sydney. They also supply reactor cores to the French navy. So the expertise is already here.

The real challenge with whichever design is built will be learning how to maintain the reactor. That is a six month job for each design required every deep lift maintenance cycle.
The biggest issue with France is their demonstrated lack of support post acquisition.

Look at any acquisition of French (the same applies in varying degrees to other Euro) equipment, be it entire systems or just components, since the early 1960s and you will see what I mean. It is the pure embodiment of caveat emptor (buyer beware).

Tiger, MRH, MU-90, Success, even Mirage, motors, sonars, power generation and control, it doesn't matter. Irrespective of how good the gear may or may not be, if you need to rely on the French OEM, or worse, the French Government, for support, they will let you down.

We got over the hump with Mirage, Tiger, MU-90 and other systems by developing local capability (never planned or budgeted) to cover the short falls, but this is not an option with a nuclear submarine.

SSNs are hideously expensive to start with, imagine being in the middle of building the first Aussie Barracuda when the first of class arrives from France and we discover it is at about the level of development Tiger, MU-90, and MRH were. We discover we need to develop the capability to take the lead in sorting out technical and operational issues the French had let slide, otherwise we will never have an operational capability.

If you think I am exaggerating I can assure you I am not. I have seen a French company get out of doing something they were contracted to do, and being handsomely paid to do it, sack the team doing the work. The reason, this function worked too well and allowed the customer to see where and why other function were not.

Going French, it would end up costing much more, and we would never see the promised capability delivered.

With the US, it will cost more up front, but we will get the capability and they will support us as we learn to crawl and walk.

Last edited:

Morgo

In the posted videos they say 2 billion australian dollars each new Hobart, almost the same for the first 3 HUnters, 2 billion. It´s a bargain for having antisatellite and antiballistic capabalities.
Which posted videos? Can you please provide links?

Putting to one side issues with the comparability of costings, and your earlier claims that the “Hobart 2.0” are likely to be more expensive, as far as I’m aware there’s nothing stopping Hunters from using SM-3 and SM-6 if desired given it’s already integrated with a common combat system used by the Hobarts.

Needless to say I am unconvinced. The best course of action for us is accelerating Hunter production. So if Navantia have spare capacity and want to help, perhaps they can churn out hull blocks for the Hunters / an Australianised Arrowhead as a subcontractor for Babcock. But this brings significant quality and efficiency issues into the mix, and in any case as others have noted we should also be running a competitive process involving the Koreans as well.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
Which posted videos? Can you please provide links?

Putting to one side issues with the comparability of costings, and your earlier claims that the “Hobart 2.0” are likely to be more expensive, as far as I’m aware there’s nothing stopping Hunters from using SM-3 and SM-6 if desired given it’s already integrated with a common combat system used by the Hobarts.

Needless to say I am unconvinced. The best course of action for us is accelerating Hunter production. So if Navantia have spare capacity and want to help, perhaps they can churn out hull blocks for the Hunters / an Australianised Arrowhead as a subcontractor for Babcock. But this brings significant quality and efficiency issues into the mix, and in any case as others have noted we should also be running a competitive process involving the Koreans as well.
The videos were in the post immediately ahead of the one you quoted, a link to that post is here. One was a ~30 sec. Sky News clip which claimed that RAN personnel were pushing for gov't to accept Navantia's offer. The other, longer vid claimed that Australia requested Navantia fast track their offer. The new reporting which came out at about the same time as the two clips were rather light on details, but even they had more information than the two linked clips.

Of course the whole thing also ignores a pile of issues and events which would need to occur before a contract could be signed for an offer, never mind construction and delivery of the lead ship. Yet more material which there should be record of, which seem to be getting either overlooked or ignored.

Morgo

The videos were in the post immediately ahead of the one you quoted, a link to that post is here. One was a ~30 sec. Sky News clip which claimed that RAN personnel were pushing for gov't to accept Navantia's offer. The other, longer vid claimed that Australia requested Navantia fast track their offer. The new reporting which came out at about the same time as the two clips were rather light on details, but even they had more information than the two linked clips.

Of course the whole thing also ignores a pile of issues and events which would need to occur before a contract could be signed for an offer, never mind construction and delivery of the lead ship. Yet more material which there should be record of, which seem to be getting either overlooked or ignored.
Whoops! Sorry too quick on the response before I'd read to the end of the thread!

I agree - I have no idea how Navantia could meet the timelines being discussed, unless it's a refit of some the Alvaro de Bazan class rather than new builds.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Had we continued with the three yard model used for the Hobart's, and I am not suggesting we try and switch now, there could have been real potential for competition and sustainability.
I think that may be part of the concern, falling back to a single yard, a single point of failure. They want some distribution of work, across more electorates, locations.

The Americans are doing work on where they can get things repaired if SHTF. A few destroyers here or there isn't a game changer. Somewhere where they can get 12 destroyers rearmed, fixed up etc is if its 10,000 miles closer and in safer water/airspace.

I don't get why everyone, including the press get so worked up re the 32 v 48 vls, its 16 cells. Nothing. That isn't a game changer, its nice, but not a game changer.

Its freaking China, not some small middle power. Bringing an additional 16 missiles (or 64 small self defence missiles) aint changing the battlespace, when there are 10,000 missiles in flight at anyone time.

If war ever breaks out, I am confident we will stop building any thing we have planned, and simply turn our shipyards over to maintenance of much bigger and heavier allied naval platforms. Our ships will be running local protection. Not sailing into Taiwan and laying waste to enemy taskforces.

A hunter or hobart is not going to change the parity of the conflict. A dozen burkes, half a dozen SSNs, or a CVN/LHD, might. Anything that keeps more of the American fleet active at any time is going to be more important. Obviously having American ships in Australian waters makes Australia important and valuable to the US, and makes Australia a target. But we are far away, and pretty big with all the strategic depth in the world (almost)

We will be focused on protecting allied assets going through our space, and frankly we will be flat out doing just that. It would be the most meaningful contribution we can make.

Our platforms are almost meaningless in the big picture. Obviously important for Australia, but we aren't big enough alone.

Flexson

The longer video is an expansion based on the Sky news video, because it uses the same words "fast track" which is not a coincidence, this video clearly states it was Australia petition.
All the internal documentation I've seen refer to the Hobart 2.0 offer as an unsolicited proposal, which we have received a number of over the last year. These are looked at and on occasion additional information is requested or varying depths of analysis conducted. This is in no way an acceptance of an offer and certainly not a signed contract.

As for Royal Australian Navy personnel wanting and pushing for Hobart 2.0's. I'm sure there are some who do. But, having served on 4 of the Navantia ships, I for one don't ever, EVER want to see another Navantia platform commissioned into the RAN.

Brissy1982

All the internal documentation I've seen refer to the Hobart 2.0 offer as an unsolicited proposal, which we have received a number of over the last year. These are looked at and on occasion additional information is requested or varying depths of analysis conducted. This is in no way an acceptance of an offer and certainly not a signed contract.

As for Royal Australian Navy personnel wanting and pushing for Hobart 2.0's. I'm sure there are some who do. But, having served on 4 of the Navantia ships, I for one don't ever, EVER want to see another Navantia platform commissioned into the RAN.
@Flexson I'm genuinely interested in your opinion on Navantia-built ships - I never served on one but I know people who have served and are serving on Hobarts, LHDs and AORs, and their opinions are mixed - some like them and others don't. Would you mind sharing the reason(s) why you're not a fan of Navantia-built ships?

Reactions: H_K

Brissy1982

For those of us who have been waiting anxiously for the outcome of the surface fleet review it looks like the wait will continue into 2024!
At a press conference today with the ABC's Greg Jennett the following was revealed:

GREG JENNETT:All right. Let’s move on to the surface fleet review. Are you still on track to receive that work by, roughly speaking, I think it’s the end of next week?

MINISTER CONROY:Yes, we’re on track to receive the report by the end of next week. And then Government will be responding to it. It will be a very significant report, so we’ll take our time working through its recommendations and come forward with a response.

GREG JENNETT:It is a very significant piece of work, because tied up in it is billions – tens of billions of dollars worth of naval ship work. When will you make those decisions? Will it be this calendar year?

MINISTER CONROY:We expect the Government response to be in, at the latest, in the first couple of months of next year – at the latest. But this is very important that we work through it methodically. It is very important. This work, as you said, tens of billions of dollars. It’s about the future structure of the Royal Australian Navy and how it complements the acquisition of nuclear-powered but conventionally armed submarines.

GREG JENNETT:Would public scrutiny and discussion of this be helpful such that you could release a public version of it before the Government’s response?

MINISTER CONROY:No, our intention is that when we release the response that we will publish as much of the report to Government that is appropriate. It’s highly classified in nature and looks at threat environment, threat scenarios and different capabilities. It would be very irresponsible to release that report at all especially in advance of the Government’s response.

Patience is a virtue but I must confess that mine is running thin!

Tas
My patience is running thin too! Sadly there's an article in the Australian today that also confirms we won't hear anything concrete on the surface fleet review until early next year: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/na...y/news-story/d504ebf588db46dc8921339b8d614ee4
I guess we need to hurry up and wait some more

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
@Flexson I'm genuinely interested in your opinion on Navantia-built ships - I never served on one but I know people who have served and are serving on Hobarts, LHDs and AORs, and their opinions are mixed - some like them and others don't. Would you mind sharing the reason(s) why you're not a fan of Navantia-built ships?
From what I've heard it's a case of the Hobart's are better than the LHDs, which are better than the AORs.

The Hobart's are too small and too tight for the role they fill.

From the design side it's interesting that chunks of the F-100 ship spec were lifted straight from the US FFG and DE specs. They are in some ways an older design concept than the ANZACs, with features carried over from USN Destroyer Escorts of the 50s and 60s.

The reaction of a number of BIW staff to Navamtia build strategies was "wow, why are they still doing that? We stopped doing that in the 70s, 80s etc "

Other things it was a case of, "why are they doing it that way? Don't they realise that will weaken the structure etc."

Last edited:

Flexson

My opinions are from an engineering and ILS perspective. Search my posts for comments I've made in the past, I will acknowledge that they are pretty light on for specific details, but as a currently serving member I need to be careful about what I say. I would love to attach all the technical investigations and engineering reports I've read over the years but to do so would have ADFIS knocking on my door pretty quick.

Last edited: