Royal Australian Air Force [RAAF] News, Discussions and Updates

76mmGuns

"
Meanwhile, in the real world right now :
"A Royal Australian Air Force E-7A Wedgetail, two EA-18G Growler jets and two F-35A Lightning II aircraft fly in formation with two United States Air Force B-2 Bombers and two F-22 Raptor fighter jets." Image Source : ADF Image Library "

I really like this photo. Everything there is modern and advanced. And we have a lot of them (relatively). This is a complete contrast to the RAN. RAN has plans and is in the stages of doing things, but the RAAF is practically the most advanced complete air force in the world NOW.

John Fedup

The Bunker Group
Another defence review is due in 2026 and this will probably need to address the replacement of the Super Hornet and Growler fleet. Probably want to add the Wedgetails and refuelling aircraft into the mix as well.

Most likely we will be looking a complex system of systems replacement so it won’t be anything as straight forward as buying additional F-35s. So much will depend on technology that is still in development and may not even be sufficiently mature when the Super Hornet replacement falls due.

Australia could already be falling behind on working out a solution for this. The US has already started work on NGAD and the USN F/A-XX programs neither of which might be entirely suitable for Australia. Personally I think the British led FCAS may be better suited.

Australia may yet decide to work on its own unique solution. It is all very complex and given Australia’s propensity to procrastinate on these decisions we could even see us having to come up with an interim solution to replace the Super Hornets, which ironically were themselves an interim solution.
FCAS is the French-German project, GCAP (Tempest) is the British-Japanese-Italian project.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
Do we know which program Sweden is leaning towards? I imagine Saab would like to be involved in one of the programs as it is unlikely the government wants to fund a 5-6 Gen aircraft alone.
Can Sweden afford to develop a Gen 5/6 combat aircraft alone?

The ratio of R&D to procurement would be horrendous given the size of their fast jet fleet.