Australian Army Discussions and Updates

Maranoa

US Army run three batteries of M142 per regiment. Each battery is composed of six M142s supported by 12 M1084A2 GMLRS Resupply Vehicles so 18 HIMARS and 36 M1084A2s per regiment. As to how the Australian Army will play it I don't know. No doubt vehicles will be needed at School of Artillery and RAEME school as well.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I’d suggest something like Hanwha is developing or BAEs AAV would be a more likely choice.

South Korea advances plan for next-generation amphibious assault vehicle

…..would be more likely as can be deployed from small amhibs, can self deploy moderate distances across water and carrys a gun so no need for a second support vehicle. In addition is a modern and armoured design with more protection than a Bronco. And might make up on some of the shortfall of IFVs …politics and all that you know….

But that said I can’t see anything this vehicle happening for the ADF, if at all, in less than a 5-8 year window.
I quite like both platforms and I think that both the Australian and NZ armies should seriously consider such a capability. I think that the FVEYs armies lack of consideration of such a capability is somewhat short sighted, because they restrict the armies to bridges of fords during ground operations. FVEYs MBTs and IFVs don't have the ability to magically float across liquid surfaces without major infrastructure being supplied by engineering units.

It's the same as their pitiful air defence capabilities, especially mobile AD capabilities. NASAMS is great but it isn't on the back of vehicle and the Russo Ukrainian War is teaching that a modern near peer level state on state conflict control of the airspace above your forces is vital. Gone are the days of guaranteed air superiority over the battlefield, and anyone who thinks that 5th Gen aircraft alone will always control the airspace above your forces on the battlefield needs to re-educate themselves. The PLA, PLAAF and PLA-GF aren't the modern Russian army full of SNAFUs; They have modern and more than likely highly effective equipment. You plan for the war you are going to fight, not the last one you fought.
US Army run three batteries of M142 per regiment. Each battery is composed of six M142s supported by 12 M1084A2 GMLRS Resupply Vehicles so 18 HIMARS and 36 M1084A2s per regiment. As to how the Australian Army will play it I don't know. No doubt vehicles will be needed at School of Artillery and RAEME school as well.
The Australian Army isn't the US Army and it structures its forces differently.

aussienscale

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
He has calculated the cost of pods as 1 round. I think he says 190 rounds. Is actually 190 pods. Most pods contain 6 rounds, closer to 800 rounds.
Kym yet again drinking too much gravy on the train To be honest it is pathetic that a so called defence reporter and magazine gets the most basic things wrong, or worse still write disengenious articles for click bait to stir the pot, no wonder the average punter has such a poor view of Defence !

swerve

Super Moderator
It does not offset my disappointment in the SPG order reduction though. The lesson I would take from Ukraine is more SPG not less - three regiments with 24 SPG per regiment (8 per battery) would make more sense to me.

HIMARS is very manpower efficient. And so are SPG. Overweight in these capabilities makes sense to me.

Regards,

Massive
I wish the British army had followed that. We seem to be short of both, & most of our SP guns are overdue for either upgrade or replacement. They were supposed to be upgraded to 52 cal 20 years ago, but it was cancelled, & a lot of them have been scrapped or allowed to fall into disuse (would need major work to restore), or recently given to Ukraine. There was an emergency purchase of Archers from Sweden because of the gap that left.

At least something's being done now. More M270 are being bought, & in the meantime the non-functional ones in the fleet are being restored to service. They're even looking at overhauling some which have been used as gate guards or put in museums. That makes me wonder why they were retired.

And a decision's been made to buy new SP guns. Archer's one of the candidates.

Massive

I would also see an SPG battery (8 guns) as a part of the artillery regiment in any littoral brigade that emerges from the current debate.

Expect to be disappointed despite this making so much sense.

Regards,

Massive

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
"An Australian Army M1A1 Abrams main battle tank is unloaded from the United States Army Vessel SSGT Robert T. Kuroda at Tanjung Perak Port in Indonesia during Exercise Super Garuda Shield 2023." Image Source : ADF Image Library
View attachment 50768
I wonder why they are craning them when Kuroda has a bow ramp?

The Kuroda sub class I believe was designed to lift a company (Aust sqn) of Abrams.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro

The Kuroda sub class I believe was designed to lift a company (Aust sqn) of Abrams.
Training value in different types of loading activities perhaps?

The sea ready group on HMAS Choules that did Talisman Sabre recently and on HMAS Canberra that is in the Phillipines now, drove their vehicles onto Canberra and Choules via Mexeflote, recently...

I suppose all the varying ways of loading are practised at varying times?

Last edited:

DDG38

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Probably just unavailability of the RORO wharf I would think, Tanjung Perak is the 2nd busiest port in Java so they may not have been able to use the RORO wharf.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Could be; let’s hope so. Could also be the kind of daft decision made without considering the personnel aspects that we seem to make too often. “No Senator, the possible effect on retention was not a major issue during the consideration. We’re implementing a plan a consultant developed that suited the GOTD”

knightrider4

I know this has been posted before but I can't find it, just noted some media reporting of the possibility of relocating Adelaide based units north :
Army considers removing Adelaide-based units following Defence Strategic Review
Only seems to be on ABC's radar so far using unauthorised sources. Could be just nervous officers wanting to force Marles' hand in the media.
Geez didn't they move from Darwin to Adelaide only a few years ago. Its a comedy one of the most anaemic armies on the planet has more reviews and moves than a vegas stripper.

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That article suggests that 5 and 7 RAR maybe re-linked to become 5/7 RAR again. A loss of 1 Battalion in effect, to the RAR. Scaled down war fighting ability. Kind of makes sense when there will be a huge reduction in IFVs.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
That article suggests that 5 and 7 RAR maybe re-linked to become 5/7 RAR again. A loss of 1 Battalion in effect, to the RAR. Scaled down war fighting ability. Kind of makes sense when there will be a huge reduction in IFVs.
As well as freeing up personnel for HIMARS.

That was one of the issues with the new, longer reach capabilities, there the operators would come from.

Stampede

As well as freeing up personnel for HIMARS.

That was one of the issues with the new, longer reach capabilities, there the operators would come from.
Yes we are introducing a lot of new capacity to Army.
Also the 9th Brigade becoming essentially our forth brigade ( yes reg and reserve) one would think the personnel numbers would / should increase dramatically.

Damn reality hits again.

Appears we are being to ambitious.
Be it budget or recruitment or retention we seem to be challenged with our expectations.

So what do we do?

Lower our expectations?
Look at manning levels in a completely different way using the reserve / regular mix as on the 9 the brigade?

Or something else.

I don't have the answer but would be interested in some feed back of ideas.

Cheers S

OldTex

Which would effectively reduce 9Bde down to a single infantry battalion from the Reserves. This would not make any sense whatsoever as the intention seems to be to concentrate the heavy capability (AFV, IFV and SPG) within 9Bde.
The additional HiMARS approval in DSCA could (IMHO) see a battery inserted into each of the artillery regiments with enough left for the training establishments. Again time will tell.