Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

koxinga

A question for the more knowlegable members on RAN.

Does RAN follow USN's survivability standards? I am not sure off the shelf offerings, whether from Asia yards (Japan, Korea) or European ones would meet those requirements out of the box.

StevoJH

The Bunker Group
I watched this last week.
Totally unrealistic, waste of time gaming.
No subs either side, even the approach, China sent a battle group of what? 1 carrier and 4 or 5 frigates? It's not even funny how stupid the scenario is.
I watched it as well.

Even assuming that the YJ-18 has the performance displayed in the ‘simulation’, the defenders engaged rather late considering that AEW&C aircraft were airborne.

No EW from the Growlers, plus the Super Hornets would have probably been better off tasked with anti-shipping.

The airgroups from both sides also flew dumb, no co-ordination, which is presumably a limitation of the either the engine or the programming of the scenario. Speaking of the scenario, how did a small PLAN battle group get 200nm off the coast of Darwin?

I was also slightly confused by using Ticondaroga class cruisers with SPY-1A/B as analogues for the Hobart class, yet using Arleigh Burke Class as analogues for the ANZAC class rather than something possibly more representative.

spoz

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
A question for the more knowlegable members on RAN.

Does RAN follow USN's survivability standards? I am not sure off the shelf offerings, whether from Asia yards (Japan, Korea) or European ones would meet those requirements out of the box.
Follows; and in many cases exceeds as we have been able to take the best from RN and USN practice. Off the shelf German warship designs, such as the Mekos, are good for their size and era. The Japanese ships of which I have experience, which is admittedly the last generation, were fully up to the standards of the time and I doubt if that would have changed. Last time I was onboard a South Korean ship was 30 years ago, at that time, no, they were not, but a lot of advice and real world experience is likely to have seen them greatly improved.

Meriv90

Mr. Spoz may I ask if you can expand this?
Last time I was onboard a South Korean ship was 30 years ago, at that time, no, they were not, but a lot of advice and real world experience is likely to have seen them greatly improved.
Was it a case of low standards and procedures or of building quality and probably as a conquence of cultural elements like 빨리빨리 culture (that brought several construction problems in 90s period)?