Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

hauritz

I think nothing, I know nothing.

Well I do have opinions of what should happen as well as what may happen, but they are just that, opinions. If I had any real knowledge of the current surface fleet plans and projects I would not be discussing them in a public forum.

What I can say however, is that everyone I knew, in the know, prior to the announcement of the selection of the F-100 for the AWD project, was expecting the G&C design to win.

You would have to ask Spoz, but I believe the selections of the MEKO for ANZAC and, to a lesser degree, Kockums for Collins were a similar suprise to many in the know.
It almost sounds like they just draw selections out of a hat.

I remember years ago thinking that they would choose the F5000 over the Type26, the Soryu over the Attack class submarine and the Fassmer over Lurrsen for the OPV. These decisions were made only about 6 years ago but the strategic environment is changing at such a rate that none of those selections have really stood up. The Hunters don't carry enough missiles, conventional submarines could never do the job that was asked of them and the Arafura is simply the wrong ship.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
The AORs were a surprise, DSME were the frontrunners with a bespoke version of BMT's Aegir, but Navy/CoA took too long in specifying exactly what they wanted and the 6 month build slots Daewoo had available were no longer free. Therefor the Cantabria class "won" the tender
I knew the DSME option was liked but didn't know about the build slots. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Not happy with the naval fleet but we shall see what what happens with the review early next year. Think Labor have done a decent job with Army/Air Force so far. Should be more money if they get a second term.

AIR FORCE
72 F35A > All in service by 2024
24 FA/18F Super Hornet
12 EA/18G Growler
6* E7 Wedgetail
7* A330 Tanker
8 C17 Globemaster
12 P8 Poseidon
10 C27J Spartan
12 C130J Hercules > 20 replacements from 2027
4* MQ4C Triton > From 2024
4 MC55 Peregrine > From 2024
10 MQ28 Ghost Bat > From 2026

ARMY
14 CH47F CHINOOK HLH
15 AS10 AARV > From 2025
29 AH64E APACHE ARH > From 2025
30 AS9 HUNTSMAN SPH > From 2025
40* UH60M BLACKHAWK MLH > Being Delivered currently
42* M142 HIMARS > From 2025
75 M1A2 MBT > From 2024
129* REDBACK IFV > From 2027
211* BOXER CRV > Being delivered currently
800*+ BUSHMASTER PMV > Being delivered currently
1000+ HAWKEI LPMV > Being delivered currently
2000+ GWAGON MPLAV
3,000+ HX TMT
NASAMS > From 2024
LMVP > TBD
18 LMVA > TBD
18 LMVM > From 2026
LMVH > From 2028
-
Strikemasters or more HIMARS
Missile manufacturing brought forward > From 2025

*likely more will be purchased at a later date.
Not to stray too far politically, but virtually everything on that list was Gate 1 and Gate 2 approved by the previous government…

There are about 3 or 4 capabilities there, that have been approved since May 2022, out of a list 32x capabilities long…

Reptilia

Not to stray too far politically, but virtually everything on that list was Gate 1 and Gate 2 approved by the previous government…

There are about 3 or 4 capabilities there, that have been approved since May 2022, out of a list 32x capabilities long…
Approved, Yes. But how were the previous government going to pay for it?

Many of the programs approved by the Libs, Labor have had to find the funds for, they have also shaved a few years off a few programs.

IMO, both Army and Air Force are on the right track(Others may disagree), Navy terrible… but waiting for the review.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I think The RAAF is the ONLY service that knows what is expected of it.
They are the ONLY service where the direction is a straight line. The other two are pretty much basket cases that chop and change every few years. Very frustrating.
Is it the RAN and Army "chopping and changing" every few years, or the RAN and Army being chopped & changed? Or put another way, is it that with changes in gov't, is/are the new gov'ts changing the RAN and Army focus of efforts?

Relating to this idea, does it possibly involve the fact that kit for the RAN and Army can (at least to some degree) be produced within Australia, whilst for all practical purposes aircraft for the RAAF have to be imported?

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Approved, Yes. But how were the previous government going to pay for it?

Many of the programs approved by the Libs, Labor have had to find the funds for, they have also shaved a few years off a few programs.

IMO, both Army and Air Force are on the right track(Others may disagree), Navy terrible… but waiting for the review.
You mean the budget the ALP allocated to defence, was somehow not going to be available to the other side? :rolleyes:

Please, only a child would believe that. Fantasy stories like this are part of why we avoid political discussion on the site.

Now back to why Army only needs 129x IFV’s please…

Reptilia

You mean the budget the ALP allocated to defence, was somehow not going to be available to the other side? :rolleyes:

Please, only a child would believe that. Fantasy stories like this are part of why we avoid political discussion on the site.

Now back to why Army only needs 129x IFV’s please…
Please let me know what you would have done differently…

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Please elaborate, I’m genuinely interested what people would do differently. ‘Just buy more’ doesn’t cut it.
What do expect from Army and Navy?
What does the Government want the RAN and the Army to be able to do.
A small Army that can expand quickly, needs stores in storage
A small Navy needs sailors and ships, asap. Previous ALP Governments have done nothing for Navy capabilities and not much more for Army. Previous Lib s have attempted to bypass proven ways to acquire equipment quickly, that has backfired. They had to buy quickly, because the ALP dosnt buy anything!

76mmGuns

It almost sounds like they just draw selections out of a hat.

I remember years ago thinking that they would choose the F5000 over the Type26, the Soryu over the Attack class submarine and the Fassmer over Lurrsen for the OPV. These decisions were made only about 6 years ago but the strategic environment is changing at such a rate that none of those selections have really stood up. The Hunters don't carry enough missiles, conventional submarines could never do the job that was asked of them and the Arafura is simply the wrong ship.
No arguments about the subs, but I've never agreed the Hunter can't carry more missiles, and recently news from BAE has vindicated me. Remove the multi mission space. Even if you add no Mk 41 VLS, a 13m x 21m (approx) space allows for a lot of deck mounted SM2's, ESSM's and NSM's. Just put an angled wall up for stealth on the sides, like the Taiwanese missile boat Tuo Chiang Class does.

As for the Arafura, you could argue it's the wrong ship, or you could say Australia needs more levels of ships, like the RN does, with Front end Type 26/45, light frigate Type 31, then the OPV RIver class.

In case you don't know, SM2's can be deck launched https://www.baesystems.com/en-media/uploadFile/20210813155115/1434614211149.pdf

Redlands18

No arguments about the subs, but I've never agreed the Hunter can't carry more missiles, and recently news from BAE has vindicated me. Remove the multi mission space. Even if you add no Mk 41 VLS, a 13m x 21m (approx) space allows for a lot of deck mounted SM2's, ESSM's and NSM's. Just put an angled wall up for stealth on the sides, like the Taiwanese missile boat Tuo Chiang Class does.

As for the Arafura, you could argue it's the wrong ship, or you could say Australia needs more levels of ships, like the RN does, with Front end Type 26/45, light frigate Type 31, then the OPV RIver class.

In case you don't know, SM2's can be deck launched https://www.baesystems.com/en-media/uploadFile/20210813155115/1434614211149.pdf
The BAE rep at Indo-Pacific said they have developed modules with 16, 32 and 64 VLS that could be fitted to the Hunter instead of the Mission Bay, but did say 96 VLS would mean the loss of the Towed Array Sonar. A module with a 16 cell VLS would still leave an appreciable Mission Bay

hauritz

Well Australia will certainly have many levels of ships. By around the mid 2030s it will have a mix of nuclear and conventional submarines, the surface combattants will consist of Hobarts, Hunters, Anzacs and a yet to be determined corvette and the patrol fleet could be a mix of Arafura's and Capes. Going into the 2040s you could see a new class of AWDs and of course the AUKUS subs added to that mix as well.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
What do expect from Army and Navy?
What does the Government want the RAN and the Army to be able to do.
A small Army that can expand quickly, needs stores in storage
A small Navy needs sailors and ships, asap. Previous ALP Governments have done nothing for Navy capabilities and not much more for Army. Previous Lib s have attempted to bypass proven ways to acquire equipment quickly, that has backfired. They had to buy quickly, because the ALP dosnt buy anything!
Not entirely true, from 96 to 99/2000 defence was actively cut. Timor triggered a review which saw some, but not all deferred capability back on the agenda.

What we got was a ship building black hole, nine tier one ships cut to four and only three replacements ordered in 11 years. Corvettes canned and PBs ordered instead and a succession of some of the worst acquisition decisions we have ever seen.

The gutted APS and ADF procurement side (Keating and Howard) just couldn't keep up with the workload, a situation that was exacerbated by pork barreling and captains picks. The last really serious, properly run acquisitions were probably in the late 80s.

Things looked up for a very short time then the GFC hit and Labor started canabalising themselves. This started the politically opportunistic merrigoround of PMs on both sides where no one really cared about defence, or any other serious government obligations, unless it had political benefit.

The shock of COVID and the impossibe to ignore strategic deterioration may (wishful thinking on my part) refocus our political classes on running the country. Depoliticising the APS is a start.

Aardvark144

Please elaborate, I’m genuinely interested what people would do differently. ‘Just buy more’ doesn’t cut it.
Ok then - from day 1 Marles and Co have said we must have action now, now, now. We are now mid way through their second year in Government and next to nothing. All they have done is kick the can down the road and regularly roll out AUKUS as a sign of their support to Defence. Funny how we will not receive any hardware from AUKUS for another 10 years; however, we are supposedly living in the most uncertain times in the past 7 decades or so. Enough pussy footing around and start making some hard decisions! I am in my fifth decade in Defence have have enough of this and past Governments exhibiting all talk and no action.

I don’t agree with all the beat up on the Arafura class. They look like a good (once the main gun is sorted) ship for what they were intended - the Navy’s contribution to Operation Sovereign Borders. They were intended to provide ABF with some escalation muscle courtesy of RAN, against people smugglers, drug smugglers, illegal fishing and regional piracy. That need still exists. They need to sail frequently around our offshore territories and interests and maintain a presence, that need still exists also.

The gaps are we need something different for something different. This doesn’t replace the original need above. We still need that too. The above minor incursions don’t need a medium warship with SAM, CIWS, c100 sailors, etc, to have their boats turned back. A grey steal OPV hull with a white number and a naval gun serves that purpose with a far more efficient to crew and operate vessel.

Yes we need more ships, bigger ships, more sailors, continuous shipbuilding, and more firepower, but Arafura wasn’t and isn’t that. The fault isn’t that Arafura is wrong, it’s that we’re missing the something else. Too many pollies have put winning elections ahead of strategic vision, consistency, and national security.

edit - typo fixed

Last edited:

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
I don’t agree with all the beat up on the Arafura class. They look like a good (once the main gun is sorted) ship for what they were intended - the Navy’s contribution to Operation Sovereign Borders. They were intended to provide ABF with some escalation muscle courtesy of RAN, against people smugglers, drug smugglers, illegal fishing and regional piracy. That need still exists. They need to sail frequently around our offshore territories and interests and maintain a presence, that need still exists also.

The gaps are we need something different for something different. This doesn’t replace the original need above. We still need that too. The above minor incursions don’t need a medium warship with SAM, CIWS, c100 sailors, etc, to have their boats turned back. A grey steal OPV hull with a white number and a naval gun serves that purpose with a far more efficient to crew and operate vessel.

Yes we need more ships, bigger ships, more sailors, continuous shipbuilding, and more firepower, but Arafura wasn’t and isn’t that. The fault isn’t that Arafura is wrong, it’s that we’re missing the something else. Too many pollies have put winning elections ahead of strategic vision, consistency, and national security.

edit - typo fixed
Basic patrol duties don’t require a warship, but war-fighting does.

Warships can do patrol, but patrol ships can’t do war-fighting.

As the Hunter Class and SSN show, we don’t have a resource poor navy, we have a personnel poor navy.

Relatively dinky little ships that do nothing but patrol shouldn’t be operated by our navy. Warships should.

We have an absolute plethora of agencies that can do those civilian maritime roles. They could easily take on what the RAN does in that space. Plenty of other nations do it that way, per attached as just one example.

We have one agency that can do war-fighting and that should be the beginning and the end of the capability discussion for it. Use LHD logic and apply war-fighting capabilities to non war-fighting roles from time to time, especially when politically convenient sure, but the logic behind every capability they maintain should be that they are war-fighting machines first and everything else comes second.

We are literally putting frigates on blocks for want of sailors, while we have 500+ sailors devoted to civilian maritime roles…In a strategic environment described as ‘the worst since the 1930’s’ by our own defence ministers.

It’s completely crazy.

IMG_0139.jpeg

Last edited: