Royal Australian Navy Discussions and Updates 2.0

Milne Bay

Not much, but that shows how close margins are with these ships.
Anzac which has the margin, is being shelved, while Warramunga, which doesn't is going through.

It will be interesting what they will say.

RAN has serious challenges ahead of it. Being asked so much, but being given so little and taking away what little they already have.
According to ADM Anzac will not be shelved, but will be the first into the program.
HMAS Anzac is set to commence TransCap in October this year followed by HMAS Warramunga sometime afterwards.
MB

hauritz

HMAS ANZAC being up on blocks and not going through TRANSCAP has finally hit the media…

The talking heads will have a field day now…
Most will be aware of rumours that the navy will lose one of its frigates. With one of the remaining frigates going through TRANSCAP, upgrades to be preformed on the Hobarts, delays with the Hunters and an aging submarine fleet things are looking pretty grim for the navy.

Unless the navy review can pull a rabbit out of the hat I don’t see how things will improve.

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
According to ADM Anzac will not be shelved, but will be the first into the program.
HMAS Anzac is set to commence TransCap in October this year followed by HMAS Warramunga sometime afterwards.
MB
As they say "plans change".

I suspect ADM is not up to speed on current events...

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
To put this in context HMAS Perth, as I understand it, was laid up between 2017 and 2021. There were apparently two ANZACs unable to deploy for a number of years during the noughties, and HMAS Rankin was laid up prior to FCD in 2009/10 while FCD work continued on Dechaineux and Sheean.

Crewing has been a long term issue for navy going back decades.

It's a catch 22, not enough crew means ships can't go to sea, not enough ships means sufficient crew can't be trained and certified.

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
MB
Anzac was scheduled to start TransCap October this year, 2023, she is now laid up out of the water & is not going through Transcap in 2024. Which ship will be first is again up in the air, was going to be Warra in 2024, but this may now be changing. I can't really add more to this at this time.

Reptilia

Pretend you are looking on the Army thread.

2 more evolved Capes
Birdon designed medium craft selected, 18 Built by Austal. Heavy craft build also going to Austal if goes well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Anthony_B_78

FWIW, media release issued by the Opposition about an hour ago:

THE HON LUKE HOWARTH MP
Shadow Minister for Defence Industry
Shadow Minister for Defence Personnel
Federal Member for Petrie
MEDIA RELEASE

23 November 2023
Defence personnel plan quickly becoming ‘Ship out of water’
Reports that an Australian warship has been lifted out of the water onto hard stands, as a
result of crew shortages, has highlighted the very real Defence Force personnel crisis
unfolding on the Albanese Government’s watch.
Coalition questioning at recent Senate Estimates hearings revealed that under Labor,
Australian Defence workforce targets for the past financial year fell significantly short, with
figures showing personnel numbers 3,400 under target.
As Australia continues to navigate some of the most strategically challenging geo-political
circumstances in generations, these personnel shortages are now directly impacting our
Defence Force’s operational capability.
The Albanese Government has failed to address their basic responsibility of building our
Defence personnel capabilities, leading to our Navy now reducing capability as a result.
Shadow Minister for Defence Personnel, the Hon Luke Howarth MP has demanded the
Albanese Government take immediate responsibility for this emerging crisis.
“It is clear that the Minister for Defence has no plan to address the personnel crisis which is
now directly impacting the defence capability of our nation. Warships are being pulled out of
the water because we don’t have enough personnel to crew them.
It is clear that his defence plan is quickly becoming nothing more than a “ship out of water.’
The Minister must take immediate responsibility to rectify the ADF personnel crisis before
more defence capabilities are threatened.
“It is a basic mandate of the Government to keep Australians safe and Richard Marles is the
Minister of Defence.”
“Its time for him to do his job.”

@Anthony_B_78

Source please.

Ngatimozart.

Last edited by a moderator:

Morgo

An eye opening reveal from the Lehmann defemation case.

Rape accusations aside the evidence given was astounding in regards to what he was doing at parliament house that night.

He was apparently shoring up support, on the instruction of his minister, WA Senator Reynolds, to move construction of the now cancelled Attack Class Submarines, to WA!

WTAF!

The reason given was to sure up WA votes for the government in the upcoming election where the governing party anticipated a total (and actually realised) electoral drubing in that state.
This is absolutely astonishing and appalling. Reynolds should hang her head in shame.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I just wanted to double check, given some of the recent news as well as the DSR outcome.

The planned for national continuous naval shipbuilding programme was a plan to maintain a continuous naval shipbuilding capability, correct?

It was not a plan to be continuously rebuilding the capability to build naval shipping?

I ask because at times it really seems like the powers that be seem much more interested in rebuilding that type of capability, preferably in their respective electorates or districts.

devo99

FWIW, media release issued by the Opposition about an hour ago:

THE HON LUKE HOWARTH MP
Shadow Minister for Defence Industry
Shadow Minister for Defence Personnel
Federal Member for Petrie
MEDIA RELEASE

23 November 2023
Defence personnel plan quickly becoming ‘Ship out of water’
Reports that an Australian warship has been lifted out of the water onto hard stands, as a
result of crew shortages, has highlighted the very real Defence Force personnel crisis
unfolding on the Albanese Government’s watch.
Coalition questioning at recent Senate Estimates hearings revealed that under Labor,
Australian Defence workforce targets for the past financial year fell significantly short, with
figures showing personnel numbers 3,400 under target.
As Australia continues to navigate some of the most strategically challenging geo-political
circumstances in generations, these personnel shortages are now directly impacting our
Defence Force’s operational capability.
The Albanese Government has failed to address their basic responsibility of building our
Defence personnel capabilities, leading to our Navy now reducing capability as a result.
Shadow Minister for Defence Personnel, the Hon Luke Howarth MP has demanded the
Albanese Government take immediate responsibility for this emerging crisis.
“It is clear that the Minister for Defence has no plan to address the personnel crisis which is
now directly impacting the defence capability of our nation. Warships are being pulled out of
the water because we don’t have enough personnel to crew them.
It is clear that his defence plan is quickly becoming nothing more than a “ship out of water.’
The Minister must take immediate responsibility to rectify the ADF personnel crisis before
more defence capabilities are threatened.
“It is a basic mandate of the Government to keep Australians safe and Richard Marles is the
Minister of Defence.”
“Its time for him to do his job.”
Very typical partisan politics blabber. The problems are quite well known to government and have been ignored by governments from both sides for decades at this point. They are not the type of thing which can be solved with a quick fix. It will require long term bi-partisan support and that would start with actually suggesting solutions for the problem rather than pointing out what is already known.

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was not a plan to be continuously rebuilding the capability to build naval shipping?
Definitely feels like it.

Often politicians feel like their only allegiances is to their immediate electorate. They will compromise national security to appease their voters.
Most will be aware of rumours that the navy will lose one of its frigates. With one of the remaining frigates going through TRANSCAP, upgrades to be preformed on the Hobarts, delays with the Hunters and an aging submarine fleet things are looking pretty grim for the navy.
Which is where the crisis is leading too. Some smaller ships, that will allow some at sea time, to fill in some capability gaps while upgrades are going on.

But we need thousands of extra crew and pipelines to deliver more going forward. Not sure traditional pipelines are going to deliver what we need in terms of crewing. Not just for Navy, but for the ADF as a whole.

Scott Elaurant

An eye opening reveal from the Lehmann defemation case.

Rape accusations aside the evidence given was astounding in regards to what he was doing at parliament house that night.

He was apparently shoring up support, on the instruction of his minister, WA Senator Reynolds, to move construction of the now cancelled Attack Class Submarines, to WA!

WTAF!

The reason given was to sure up WA votes for the government in the upcoming election where the governing party anticipated a total (and actually realised) electoral drubing in that state.
Volkodav
That would explain a lot in terms of the very slow rollout of AUKUS funding and focus on SSN maintenance in Perth. Do you have a source for when/where he said that? I can't find it.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Volkodav
That would explain a lot in terms of the very slow rollout of AUKUS funding and focus on SSN maintenance in Perth. Do you have a source for when/where he said that? I can't find it.
Read it at work, I think it's the paywalled man on a mission story from the Australian.

Reptilia

other notes from the articles that have come out today…

-Civmec potentially pivoting away from shipbuilding and focusing on more oil and gas projects.
-Reduction of austal workers prior to todays announcement, now potentially tripling workforce.
-Corvette build could be on the cards for Austal in the future.
-What to do with Chinese owned Silveryachts…
-Southern end of Henderson to be expanded for aukus subs. I’m guessing that’s bae and asc for maintenance?

Scott Elaurant

-Southern end of Henderson to be expanded for aukus subs. I’m guessing that’s bae and asc for maintenance?
I note Hunter Ingalls Industries now has an office in WA and has recently signed an MOU with the WA government regarding AUKUS work. I would have thought they would be well placed to bid the WA SSN maintenacne work in the first instance. The first SSNs based in Perth will be a squadron of USN Virginias, with maybe one RN Astute at a later date. I would assume the USN would want to be assured all SSN maintenance in Perth was done to their standards.

Reptilia

I note Hunter Ingalls Industries now has an office in WA and has recently signed an MOU with the WA government regarding AUKUS work. I would have thought they would be well placed to bid the WA SSN maintenacne work in the first instance. The first SSNs based in Perth will be a squadron of USN Virginias, with maybe one RN Astute at a later date. I would assume the USN would want to be assured all SSN maintenance in Perth was done to their standards.
also potential here for the Aus light frigate build with designer gibbs & Cox, supposably the Aus light frigate and Taiwanese aaw light frigate is based off the legend class cutter.

Last edited:

StingrayOZ

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only 3 ships funded for the upgrades. It appears 3 may not be suitable for the upgrades or even life extension. Two unknowns.

The problem is this is a here and now problem. They need to crash build something. Like it would need to be a record setting build. To address a very real crisis.

I'm not sure being indecisive with reviews has helped. Ultimately a navy needs ships. Picking one is more important than choosing one.

Smal l low crew ships will be very attractive to navy right now due to the crew crisis..