MiG News

Ozzy Blizzard

A quick search didn't turn up any info, so I would assume it's the same as other Fulcrum models. I don't have time to look in detail, as I've got to run off to work in ~5 mins. I'll look in more detail either tomorrow, or later today if I get around to it.
IIRC the ejection port has been moved on the MiG-29M/M2 prototypes allowing the use of the gun while the tank is being carried. Since the MiG-35 is the 4th MiG-29M2 prototype i would assume this is the same. I dont have a link for thou though, i;ve got it in a copy of AFM i think, but AFAIK yes the MiG-35 can use the gun with the belly tank.

ROCK45

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mig-29

Thanks Ozzy Blizzard for the gun belly tank info.
Thanks Feanor for the cool MIG site

So now I guess we wait for news on the Mig-29K and see how they work out. One can assume if India's very impressed with them the K models overall it might go a long way toward landing the big fighter bid?

I check the MIG's site for news every now and then and wish they would release more info.

Still hunting for any Yemen's SMT info comparing the early models to the upgraded types.

Any news on the returned Algeria SMT's? I looked around but didn't see anything.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Last I heard about Algerian deal is negotiations proceeding. MiG is offering MiG-35 to Algeria, and the VVS are evaluating the SMT's that were returned for induction at lower prices. I hope that we do buy them, because it would help MiG, but more importantly it would help re-arm at least 1 regiment (which is ~20% of the Russian Fulcrum fleet) with new planes.

ROCK45

Russia

I hope Russia does pick up the SMT Fulcrums maybe some higher up in the chain command will see it can be a useful fighter.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Compared to the MiG-29S that we're currently flying, it's a more then useful fighter. Though what I'm really hoping for is serial production of the R-77 to finally commence.

Chrom

Compared to the MiG-29S that we're currently flying, it's a more then useful fighter. Though what I'm really hoping for is serial production of the R-77 to finally commence.
Seems Russian MOD wait for next, upgraded gen R-77 before buying.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry for the double post but the new Zhuk-AE AESA radar has undergone flight testing. Here's the arms-tass link. Sorry that it's in Russian. The main two pieces of info from it are that there are plans for using mods of this radar in Almaz-Antey GBAD systems, and potential upgrade of VVS fulcrums with this radar.

http://arms-tass.su/?page=article&aid=56587&cid=24

Chrom

Do you have any info on one being produced?
There was some info about upgraded R-77 might enter into service in 2009, but we all know how reliable such premature info is. Besides, it is still not clear if upgraded R-77 will be with RAMJET or just vanilla new seeker & slightly better range.

ROCK45

Mig trainer

I like the Yak-130 more to but I think it was political thing as well why one was supported and one wasn’t. Like most things MIG, like trainer project ideas don't get the same funding to really give it a chance. I must admit I'm confused why MIG is investing money in it now unless they feel there is a chance or maybe there are problems in the Yak-130 camp? It does seem to be taking them a long time to get the Yak-130 production rolling doesn’t it? Didn’t Algeria and Venezuela both want it besides Russia’s own AF, so they have orders? Maybe MIG's getting something useful out of the testing that’s it’s worth it for them.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Algeria and Libya allegedly have orders. Though the exact make up of the Libyan deal was not made public. It might be that the exact make up has yet to be finalized.

ROCK45

Libya

Did Libya actucally place place an aircraft orders? I looked around but didn't see anything "firm" so I guess it's the same level as the Rafale deal? I do think Russia will get the deal over the French. The F3 model is taking way too long to get into production and there's still the radar issue. Now since since were out of June and into July did Russia deliver the K model Fulcrums? These K models are MIG's big chance I hope for the company future they do a good job.

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm strange. Apparently delivery was to have begun in May. And nothing after that. No confirmation of delivery articles, nothing. Not even a notification of delay.

hugin

Mig29/35

Hello everbody - this is my first post. I really like to read this forum. Normally, I am just entertained by reading - but I really think MIG 29/MIG 35 is a handsome/heavy plane. A friend of my claimes that the engines of MIG 29 have to be replaced with new engines after 400 hours of flying - compared with a 2000 hours with F 16. No matter the cost of procure - the total cost incl. the maintenance costs of MIG 29 would allways be higher compared to other fighters. My questions to the forum are: 1. Are russian fighters like MIG/Sukoi really (that) cost uneffective compared to other fighters. 2. What could be done? - western engines ?

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
This was addressed earlier by Chrom. The thing is that Russian fighters were built for a total war philosophy. They would be used until the nominal engine life expired. Then engines would be replaced. Western aircraft would use their engines until the engines began having problems, and then repair, and only eventually replace the engines. The Soviet approach was tailored to an all out war where the biggest threat wasn't maintenance issues, it was enemy planes and SAMs. The Western approach was more of a peacetime approach. Since then Russian philosophy on maintenance has changed significantly. Newer Fulcrums and Flankers offer significant improvements in engine life. Whether comparable to similar western aircraft or not is debatable, especially since conditions in which they are used are usually notably worse (in terms of spare parts etc.).

EDIT: Chrom I hope I correctly rephrased what you were saying.

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
This was addressed earlier by Chrom. The thing is that Russian fighters were built for a total war philosophy. They would be used until the nominal engine life expired. Then engines would be replaced. Western aircraft would use their engines until the engines began having problems, and then repair, and only eventually replace the engines.
Not true mate, especially for USA engine maintenance. This is doctrine, not philosophy. Gas turbine engines undergo routine scheduled maintenance whether the engine has problems or not. Engine maintenance is done at the unit level, intermediate level and depot level. I can't vouch for European standards, but I doubt they wait until their engines start having problems.

Chrom

This was addressed earlier by Chrom. The thing is that Russian fighters were built for a total war philosophy. They would be used until the nominal engine life expired. Then engines would be replaced. Western aircraft would use their engines until the engines began having problems, and then repair, and only eventually replace the engines. The Soviet approach was tailored to an all out war where the biggest threat wasn't maintenance issues, it was enemy planes and SAMs. The Western approach was more of a peacetime approach. Since then Russian philosophy on maintenance has changed significantly. Newer Fulcrums and Flankers offer significant improvements in engine life. Whether comparable to similar western aircraft or not is debatable, especially since conditions in which they are used are usually notably worse (in terms of spare parts etc.).

EDIT: Chrom I hope I correctly rephrased what you were saying.
Somewhat close, but i should add few points:
1. Engines were replaced, true. But that doesnt mean they were scrapped. They were overhauled in big depots. Only after several overhauls they were out of service.

Also, this philosophy was not aimed solely at wartime. Even in peace time there was considerable fund saving by reducing needs in good prepared airfields, high skilled technicians, and well equipped field depots.

In turn, this also somewhat increased strategical mobility of such forces due to above mentioned advantages.

2. Western technicians of course didnt waited till problems. This is far too dangerous. They, with various instruments, trying to determine reliability and wear of engine parts. It works well most of the times, just not always.

Also, some parts just get replaced after set amount of time. But again, many hard-to-reach parts require high skill, high working discipline and good equipment to replace - something what Soviet engineers tried to avoid as much as possible.

In Soviet conception most of these parts should be only replaced in big industrial depots.