MBT-2000 (Al-khalid / Type-90-IIM)

Architect

Thats what I am hearing also, China and Peru have also signed a couple of other agreements, what are you hearing in regards to those.
Well, some people consider the issue like two kills with one shoot. To sign the free trade agrement with china and to make a deal with good cost/benefit products for an poor country with rates of 7% of growing in 2007 and 4% next year. Also another point it's that China give us credit to pay it in several years.

Here the army uses Russian and French equipements, and the Chinese tank has some link with the old russian tanks we have. Even more, the old french tanks we have have been adapted to use kornets and spikes. The idea is to compensate low quality equipments with great number of effectives. (Sounds pretty Chinese)

DavidDCM

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
eckherl, do you have knowledge about the configuration of Chinese autoloaders? Do they have the same penetrator length restrictions as Russian carousel designs? That is, two-part ammo etc.?

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
eckherl, do you have knowledge about the configuration of Chinese autoloaders? Do they have the same penetrator length restrictions as Russian carousel designs? That is, two-part ammo etc.?
I know where you are going with this,
Yes they do have the same restrictions, after scrutinizing different size Chinese penetrators versus Russian I have come to the conclusion that they are more than likely designing their systems off of the T-80 auto loader design layout, keep in mind that Russia eventually went with it also for T-90 series for some life extension, Rod length restrictions will be some of the reasons why in the future we will see bustle mounted auto loaders on late T series and Chinese designed tanks, this is a modification that they can easily do.

tphuang

Super Moderator
That's right deals are finalized with a mutual understanding between NORINCO & Pakistan(both being partners).
I have read somewhere Pakistan will get it's share of export from NORINCO and viceversa ( though haven't got any authentic source to confirm it):roll:; Pakistan has good customer relations in Arab countries same will apply if Pakistan exported (AL-KHALID) it to Saude Arabia.
I really don't think so. The tank that will be exported really has nothing to do with Al-Khalid. Al Khalid is a version that Pakistan and China worked on based on MBT-2000. So, if that tank gets afforded, then it would make sense that both sides get compensated. However, this tank is really just VT-1A and they will probably make modification on it to satisfy Peruvian requirements. All the work is done by Norinco, so Pakistan really has nothing to do with it.

Chuncho

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I really don't think so. The tank that will be exported really has nothing to do with Al-Khalid. Al Khalid is a version that Pakistan and China worked on based on MBT-2000. So, if that tank gets afforded, then it would make sense that both sides get compensated. However, this tank is really just VT-1A and they will probably make modification on it to satisfy Peruvian requirements. All the work is done by Norinco, so Pakistan really has nothing to do with it.
Not just modifications, based on some goverment official's statements they said that the new MBT must have also the following upgrades: the capability to fire missiles, an automatic control AA machine gun with night vision and an upgraded armor (ERA). They stated that Norinco has satisfied all of these requirements and it will take 12 - 18 months to implemented and to supply the tanks to us. Today the media reported that unnoficially it will be a 1st batch/order of 50 or so tanks and that the contract will be sign by the end of January.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Not just modifications, based on some goverment official's statements they said that the new MBT must have also the following upgrades: the capability to fire missiles, an automatic control AA machine gun with night vision and an upgraded armor (ERA). They stated that Norinco has satisfied all of these requirements and it will take 12 - 18 months to implemented and to supply the tanks to us. Today the media reported that unnoficially it will be a 1st batch/order of 50 or so tanks and that the contract will be sign by the end of January.
Surely the Russian and Ukrianian offers would of filled the tube launched missile requirements but out to "effective" extended direct fire maingun ranges Peru felt that all tanks with the exception of the LEO 2 failed, they did not want to depend on solely with using missiles to achieve this, Norinco re-approached Peru with a specialized vehicle package to achieve that goal. It will really be interesting to see what type of goodies are shoe horned into this vehicle, maybe Type 99 technology advances.

tphuang

Super Moderator
Well, according to Chinese forums, Type 99A2 just completed all testing and is finally certified, which means a lot of stuff from 99 and 99A are probably available for export now. They have a lot of goodies they can put on VT-1A to improve it.

eckherl, where did you get the trial performance information from?

shag

Well, according to Chinese forums, Type 99A2 just completed all testing and is finally certified, which means a lot of stuff from 99 and 99A are probably available for export now. They have a lot of goodies they can put on VT-1A to improve it.

Hey tphuang, has type-99A2 entered limited series production? I am sorry I haven't followed this project since a while.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro

Associates with General Dynamics knew what the requirements were , only China was able to deliver the package to suite Peru's needs, initially from what I was told everyone who was a contender failed on some of the key critical areas; testing, logistical, future upgrades and cost requirements, China came back with a deal that Peru just could not refuse, this will be very interesting to see what China has done to secure this deal. Look for Type 99 goodies for this tank.

tphuang

Super Moderator
great info eckherl, thanks.

Shag, I really don't follow ground forces, so can't say too much without making a fool out of myself. But it seems like they've finally finished all the testing on it. According to the program designer, they've tested it on 4020 m mountains that nothing else could even drive onto. They've tested in extreme cold of -47-48 degree Celsisus (the best it can achieve is working at -42-43 C) They've also done extensive test in deserts and extreme heat, basically all possible battlefield for PLA. I've read some of his statements regarding mobility, firepower and protection, they think it's a better tank than M1A2. Also, he claims the APS on 99A2 has both a soft kill sysem and a hard kill system.