latest ADF funding

Sea Toby

If Australia had a naval reseve with 210 personnel, Australia could man all six of its minehunters with a naval reserve. Its my opinion any naval reserve forces can operate minehuners effectively releasing active naval personnel to other surface warfare duties. From what I have seen weekend sailors and minehunters go together as well as ice cream and cake.

A

Aussie Digger

Sea Toby said:
If Australia had a naval reseve with 210 personnel, Australia could man all six of its minehunters with a naval reserve. Its my opinion any naval reserve forces can operate minehuners effectively releasing active naval personnel to other surface warfare duties. From what I have seen weekend sailors and minehunters go together as well as ice cream and cake.
That's a good point and hopefully something like this can be achieved in the not too distant future. Unfortunately the RAN and RAAF aren't overly keen on reserves manning their (few) assets. Their is a RAN and RAAF reserve, but they aren't taken as seriously as might be hoped and certainly aren't employed on any "frontline" assets...

skyice

Re: Aust Defense Spendings on IT Security

Anyone has any idea or seen any article regarding the Aust Defense spendings on IT Security?

Thanks!!!

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
skyice said:
Anyone has any idea or seen any article regarding the Aust Defense spendings on IT Security?

Thanks!!!
It would be hard to get those figures in absolute terms. When I was consulting with SMS we did a strategic review and identified that ADF had some 63 programs which could be reduced to 12 and thus gain some substantial efficiencies. We estimated then that we could save approx $1bn if they were amortised and made sympathetic to each other.

I can't recall even estimated running costs though ) and it would still be regarded as classified anyway IMV as it involves cross funding between ADF, DFAT, PM&C and DSD (in their own right)

skyice

gf0012-aust said:
It would be hard to get those figures in absolute terms. When I was consulting with SMS we did a strategic review and identified that ADF had some 63 programs which could be reduced to 12 and thus gain some substantial efficiencies. We estimated then that we could save approx $1bn if they were amortised and made sympathetic to each other.

I can't recall even estimated running costs though ) and it would still be regarded as classified anyway IMV as it involves cross funding between ADF, DFAT, PM&C and DSD (in their own right)
Oh... thanks. i wondering if anyone ever came arcoss any white papers on AUST DOD's budget on IT... just to do some statitics studies...

A

Aussie Digger

skyice said:
Oh... thanks. i wondering if anyone ever came arcoss any white papers on AUST DOD's budget on IT... just to do some statitics studies...
That sort of info will be available in "sanitised" forms in Defence's Annual reports, which are available at www.defence.gov.au.

You'll need to do a bit of digging to find the info though, but you seem to be a student, and I'm sure you'd "love" a bit more research... :rolleyes:

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
skyice said:
You could try emailing the ADF - but you'd end up on a watch list within 2 hrs and I suspect you'd also get visited by men in black. ;)

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Michael RVR said:
Its big. They rolled out dark fibre around melbourne. More than that, i couldn't tell you. ;)
But thats because Melb is the site for the Cyclotron - they need the bandwidth. :D