India To Buy Mirage 2000-5 Aircraft From Qatar

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
The Indian government has given the Air Force the go-ahead to buy 12 used Mirage 2000-5 multirole aircraft from Qatar.

The service has been lobbying the government for years to upgrade its aging aircraft fleet. This decision will further that cause as well as keep these like-new Dassault-built aircraft out of the hands of neighbor and nuclear rival Pakistan, which also was negotiating with Qatar, an Indian Ministry of Defence official said.

Air Force sources said the aircraft � nine single-seat Mirage-2005 EDAs and three two-seat DDAs � cost about $35 million each. An additional $200 million will be needed to install new-generation avionics and weapons and to establish an infrastructure for operations, the sources said.

The Indian Air Force plans to increase its fleet of aircraft capable of delivering nuclear weapons. The Mirage 2000-5 can carry a nuclear warhead deep inside China with the help of the Il-78 refueler the Indian Air Force has purchased from Uzbekistan. Service officials said this will serve as an offensive system as well as a deterrent.

The Mirage acquisition will be the first major deal inked by the new United Progressive Alliance government. It likely will be finalized by year�s end, with deliveries beginning in March, the ministry official said.

Qatar bought the aircraft from Dassault Aviation, Saint Cloud, France, in 1997, but is phasing out the aircraft in its shift to U.S. equipment, he said.

India also operates 35 Mirage 2000H fighters, which are maintained by Bangalore-based Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd.

Pakistan operates Dassault�s Mirage-III and F-16 Falcon aircraft, acquired from the United States in the 1980s.

The outgoing National Democratic Alliance government initiated talks with Qatar for the Mirage purchase, and the Air Force sent delegations to Qatar last January and July to inspect the aircraft.

subscriber link only

mysterious

I thought I heard Pakistan stopped negotiating with Qatar once it learned that India was also after 'em. And I dont think they would've been much worthwhile acquiring to Pakistan anywayz. India already has Mirage-2000s in place while Pakistan does not. Pakistan's Mirage III/V fleet will, in the coming years, by replaced by Jf-17 Thunder therefore I dont see any logic of acquiring 'twelve' Mirage 2000s! India on the other hand is already evaluating buying more Mirages from Dassault (along with other contenders) to replace its Mig-21 and Jaguar fleet and hence, it would obviously be more economical for IAF to operate Mirage 2000s than the PAF. :smokingc:

adsH

Qatar is the rebel Country out off the neighbors, Saudis hate em Kuwaitis despise em, they were bound to ally them selves with INdia INstead of Pakistan!! this just pushes Pakistan further into the laps of Saudis. this is what happens when you don't have competent Rulers in-charge (no democracy) ie the Qataranions could of chosen not to sell to India instead could of sold the jets to someone else, but this is how Qatar handles diplomatic relations. Pakistan has put a brave face on for the world (shows diplomacy)

Pathfinder-X

Tribal Warlord
Verified Defense Pro
Maybe they see India as a rising regional superpower and wanted to get on their good side. Afterall India does have greater potential than Pakistan due to larger land size and greater resources available.

adsH

true but look at UAE they don't pick sides even there media is instructed to stay neutral. you Can't runn a nation effectively if you keep blocking out Countries.

adsH

thers also one more thing Pakistan would take the Saudi's side in a conflict between Saudis and qataranions, its happened before Border conflicts are a norm in that region. So can't blame them for it. So Saudis would be taking advantage of the situation Kuwaitis are loving it.

neel24neo

adsH said:
this is what happens when you don't have competent Rulers in-charge (no democracy) ie the Qataranions could of chosen not to sell to India instead could of sold the jets to someone else, but this is how Qatar handles diplomatic relations. Pakistan has put a brave face on for the world (shows diplomacy)
could you point out one single nation in the persian gulf region with "competent rulers-in-charge(democracy)".why single out qatar???because they decided to sell fighter planes to india???

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
neel24neo said:
adsH said:
this is what happens when you don't have competent Rulers in-charge (no democracy) ie the Qataranions could of chosen not to sell to India instead could of sold the jets to someone else, but this is how Qatar handles diplomatic relations. Pakistan has put a brave face on for the world (shows diplomacy)
could you point out one single nation in the persian gulf region with "competent rulers-in-charge(democracy)".why single out qatar???because they decided to sell fighter planes to india???
Iran, believe or not, they elect their presidents with proper democratic system n thts the truth no matter what USA says.

Qataris & Yamanis r two nations other Arab nations ignore, this is because they have not left their old ancient habbits of Budoins (Meaning Desert ppl also Desert Thieves)..the only problem Qatar n yaman has had with PAks is tht not only Pakistan took side of Saudi Arabis agains them but also sent its troops to borders of KSA to protect it. Yemen's piece of land was accoupied by KSA but matter was later resolved when the ppl of tht land decided to stay with KSA (conflcit is still there), this part of Yemen is protected by PAk army eve today. Dont know what Qatar's problem is. They just dnt like their more oil rich neighbours.

adsH

Saudis believe that Qatar is part of there land simple as that, theyve had numerous border conflicts !! and yemenis were taught a lesson by Pak army.

P.A.F

Indian air force to acquire Mirages

New Delhi, India, Oct. 27 (UPI) -- India's air force will take delivery of 10 Mirage 2000-H fighters next month, but it is not clear if the government will allow it to buy 124 more such planes.

The Indian government wants its air force to consider other fighters because of a controversy over the $350 million Mirage 2000-H deal, the Indian Express reported.

The 10 Mirage planes are primarily replacements for aircraft that have been lost from service for various reasons. The deal came under question after a Panama-based company took Dassault Aviation to a Paris court, seeking a ''commission'' for the contract with India. The case was later withdrawn.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi-breaking/20041027-084220-4590r.htm

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
P.A.F said:
has pakistan currently go a base in saudi arabia? wouldn't it be a good idea to have one?
No, but Saudi bases have PAF pilots. The airfields near holly cities n sites have more PAF pilots assigned to them than any where in ME.

Sq No.15

Banned Member
SABRE said:
neel24neo said:
adsH said:
Iran, believe or not, they elect their presidents with proper democratic system n thts the truth no matter what USA says.

Qataris & Yamanis r two nations other Arab nations ignore, this is because they have not left their old ancient habbits of Budoins (Meaning Desert ppl also Desert Thieves)..the only problem Qatar n yaman has had with PAks is tht not only Pakistan took side of Saudi Arabis agains them but also sent its troops to borders of KSA to protect it. Yemen's piece of land was accoupied by KSA but matter was later resolved when the ppl of tht land decided to stay with KSA (conflcit is still there), this part of Yemen is protected by PAk army eve today. Dont know what Qatar's problem is. They just dnt like their more oil rich neighbours.

Well My Dear Friend , If you believe it or Not in recent electioins , Hardliner rejected the nominations of moderates , [Admin edit: no need to bring China into this melee.]
Back to topic , well Pak is pitching hard for getting Mirages from Quater , Reason , These planes are getting at bottom rock down prices and PAF could learn fews Tricks about its Operational ability when it hands on Mirages.

ALl this put India to go into Over Drive Mode and do all it can to stop PAF getting Mirages, At one point of time India proposes to send another country , but no one else was intrested , Therefore their is no must opention left other then to buy it

SABRE

Super Moderator
Verified Defense Pro
Sq No.15 said:
Well My Dear Friend , If you believe it or Not in recent electioins , Hardliner rejected the nominations of moderates , Its like China , ask people that you have vote , and their is only one Candidate and then you will , look we elected , a mocary of democracy
We were talkin abt the system not politics my new friend Sq No.15. If u count politcs than India is not perfect either. Nor is USA i believe.

Back to topic , well Pak is pitching hard for getting Mirages from Quater , Reason , These planes are getting at bottom rock down prices and PAF could learn fews Tricks about its Operational ability when it hands on Mirages.
& the topic read again. We gave up mk2, u can have them. Consider them as a gift.

Abt PAF learning from them, it does not need to buy Mirage 2000 just tol earn tricks on them. They can go 2 friendly countries n learn what ever they want. They can even go to France. Wait...I think it already has been done, I think PAF pilots have tested this Jet along with F-15s, Gripens, Su-27, MiG-29, possibly even Rafale.
Nations dont need to by a whole sqdn of jets just to learn tricks on them budy. [Admin edit: Show some maturity please...comments edited.]

Sq No.15

Banned Member
SABRE said:
Sq No.15 said:
Well My Dear Friend , If you believe it or Not in recent electioins , Hardliner rejected the nominations of moderates , Its like China , ask people that you have vote , and their is only one Candidate and then you will , look we elected , a mocary of democracy
We were talkin abt the system not politics my new friend Sq No.15. If u count politcs than India is not perfect either. Nor is USA i believe.

& the topic read again. We gave up mk2, u can have them. Consider them as a gift.

Abt PAF learning from them, it does not need to buy Mirage 2000 just tol earn tricks on them. They can go 2 friendly countries n learn what ever they want. They can even go to France. Wait...I think it already has been done, I think PAF pilots have tested this Jet along with F-15s, Gripens, Su-27, MiG-29, possibly even Rafale.
Nations dont need to by a whole sqdn of jets just to learn tricks on them budy. ....blah blah blah

Well my dear friend , thanks for giving us a gift and we will like to take that planes.

well please let you from any where and or even if you put 2 billions doller to France , then will not give TOT , and yes your friendly country will let you fly them but they will never tell you their secrets, try anyone.

Thats why PAF haveally oppoes USAF not to fly F16 againt India , in excersiss beacsue then India can master the countre manuvers against F16 , thats why US never put F16 becasue pak have political leverage , and when singapore airline offer F16 , India accepted with open hands becasue they will field their all planeas and know capabalities and now then thay can make counter manuvers.

Flying things for one time is one thing and mastering the flying tech and making manuvers another.

Thats why planes and piolets can;t be made in one day ;)

[Admin edit: No need to respond to flame bait.....comments edited.]

adsH

all-right kids settle down here!! PAF cannot put these to operational use without establishing a pricey logistical infrastructure it would be a waste of resources while india already operates similar AC so its cheaper for them to acquire them!!

Sq No.15

Banned Member
Sorry

Well , PAF has Mirages , Well noting new required even if planes was bought by PAF , becsaue if you buing second hand things and few in quantity and rock bottom prices , and this will give you the strategic edge against your enemy in war . ?

You are not from army na , thats why you don't know the strategic importance of such a things , When american made A1M1 tanks , that actually put sovit T 's tannk in excersies to test actual capapility.

One country actually try to get other country weponary and test in live excersises so hat they can know pro and cons and modified things if requited .

Thats why PAF looking for thoese planes ,If PAF is not intrested at all in those planes , then why he asked for them initially ? , think about it

adsH

look you have no idea what your onn about!! you cannot operate Different versions of the AC without updating your logistical setup (even IAF has to do it). if your from the army just say so Indian army i think. I'm more of a Royal navy person. Id rather tell you there is a difference between Army weapons and Airforce weapons they are distinctively different. PAF cannot operate such AC like Mirage 2005 Mk2 with the current logistical setup for the Mirage III. these are multi million dollar platforms they are worthless without a logistical setup they simply wont fly if there isnt support.

Skygrasper

It takes a large amount of funds, and a lot of effort and time to set up an infastructure for an aircraft, may it be Mirage 2000-5Mk2 or J-10.

Sq No.15

Banned Member
Well ,

If i am not wrong , If i have plane which is also for the testing purpose and for R&D purpose , do i need lot of amount and infrastaructures ?

Well if one country bough one plane , do that take lot of Infastructre ? please , if you be spacific what type of infrastaructure you are talking about ?