British Stealth technology- how good?

Izzy1

Banned Member
The question has been asked "Why isn't the UK joining other European nations to develop UCAVs"

My belief is that it has a lot to do with the sharing of US stealth technology research with the UK, albeit limited, I imagine. The UK would probably not be allowed to make use of the research in a European collaboration because the US would most likely want the research to be kept secret. If the UK went it alone, then this would not be a factor. The downside could perhaps be that this would also implicate the possibility of exports of the new UCAV.

I think, that since UCAVs are in their first generation (It will be the UK's and other European country's first UCAV for that matter), it is important for the UK to go it alone to maintain the ability to great and build innnovative designs.
BAE have built, tested, flown and deployed abroard their UCAV demonstrator.

Neuron - it's a flight of fancy on a piece of A4.

swerve

Super Moderator
BAE have built, tested, flown and deployed abroard their UCAV demonstrator.

Neuron - it's a flight of fancy on a piece of A4.
Saab, Dassault, EADS & Alenia have built, tested & flown stealthy UCAV demonstrators, & Neuron is basically a scaled-up version of a Dassault demonstrator, the Moyen Duc. Grand Duc was cancelled in favour of the bigger Neuron.

Izzy1

Banned Member
... unlike Barracuda, or the other yet-to-be-named EADS system.
Barracuda... How could any of us forget that.

Tell me, seriously, what have EADS been flying? More importantly which Government is funding it and sharing it's secrets?

Or are you just mistaken by Dassault?

Izzy1

Banned Member
Saab, Dassault, EADS & Alenia have built, tested & flown stealthy UCAV demonstrators, & Neuron is basically a scaled-up version of a Dassault demonstrator, the Moyen Duc. Grand Duc was cancelled in favour of the bigger Neuron.
Swerve, its rubbish. Dassault refuses to work with EADS. You can call it Petit Duc if you want, France is far from ready to share its UAV secrets with Germany, Italy, Sweden or Spain.

Dare I tempt the question - a BAE/Dassault joint venture?

Finally- the 'nail in the coffin' of the underling-European aerospace companies who Dassault and BAE have sought rid of since the 1960s?

SlyDog

Swerve, its rubbish. Dassault refuses to work with EADS. You can call it Petit Duc if you want, France is far from ready to share its UAV secrets with Germany, Italy, Sweden or Spain.

Dare I tempt the question - a BAE/Dassault joint venture?

Finally- the 'nail in the coffin' of the underling-European aerospace companies who Dassault and BAE have sought rid of since the 1960s?
Main contractor Dassault

In addition to being the design authority, Dassault Aviation takes care of the general design and architecture of the system, the flight control system, the final assembly and the ground tests as well as the flight tests.

Partners
* Alenia (Italy) which, among others, contributes with a new concept of internal weapon bay (Smart Weapon Bay), the bay doors and their mecanisms, as well as by the design and development of the electrical power and distribution system, the air data system and the ground and flight tests.

* SAAB (Sweden), which is entrusted with the general design, the equipped fuselage, the avionics, the fuel system and part of the flight testing;

* Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI) is responsible for the rear fuselage, the exhaust pipe and the test rig;

* EADS (Spain) will bring its experience for the wings, the ground station, and the data link integration;

* RUAG (Switzerland) is taking care of the wind tunnel tests, and the weapon interface;

http://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/defense/neuron/partners.html?L=1

Izzy1

Banned Member
Main contractor Dassault

In addition to being the design authority, Dassault Aviation takes care of the general design and architecture of the system, the flight control system, the final assembly and the ground tests as well as the flight tests.

Partners
* Alenia (Italy) which, among others, contributes with a new concept of internal weapon bay (Smart Weapon Bay), the bay doors and their mecanisms, as well as by the design and development of the electrical power and distribution system, the air data system and the ground and flight tests.

* SAAB (Sweden), which is entrusted with the general design, the equipped fuselage, the avionics, the fuel system and part of the flight testing;

* Hellenic Aerospace Industry (HAI) is responsible for the rear fuselage, the exhaust pipe and the test rig;

* EADS (Spain) will bring its experience for the wings, the ground station, and the data link integration;

* RUAG (Switzerland) is taking care of the wind tunnel tests, and the weapon interface;

http://www.dassault-aviation.com/en/defense/neuron/partners.html?L=1

As above,

Who leads?

Can anyone anyonesee EADS as Primary? Non!

Its Dassault in lead.

SAAB/Aalenia/RUAG - subcontracting, as they should of back in 1967.

What about Dassault? It hasn't sold a single profitable airframe in the last 10 years. This is where the French taxpayer kicks in - and why not? The soft-fcuks funded Rafale...

Au reviour.

gvg

As above,

Who leads?

Can anyone anyonesee EADS as Primary? Non!

Its Dassault in lead.

SAAB/Aalenia/RUAG - subcontracting, as they should of back in 1967.

What about Dassault? It hasn't sold a single profitable airframe in the last 10 years. This is where the French taxpayer kicks in - and why not? The soft-fcuks funded Rafale...

Au reviour.

You are right, someone has to lead, and yes that would be Dassault.

gvg

The only joint big projects I know of that Dassault were involved in that could have been 50-50 split are the Alpha Jet and the Jaguar.

If I remember correctly however, I think the Alpha Jet was started as a cooperation between Breguet and Dornier and Breguet got taken over by Dassault during the development.

I thought the Jaguar was a truely 50-50 split between BAC (now part of BAE systems) and Dassault.

Why would there be such a problem with cooperation between Dassault and EADS? I thought EADS was a 40%+ shareholder in Dassault.

I just hope that all those European governments for once would really join forces, so that Alenia, BAE, EADS (ALL different firms that are under it's wing), Dassault, Saab, Stork Aerospace, Thales, Ericsson, Rolls Royce etc etc can design great aircraft. Now there are just too many that are intended for about the same role. And the potential they've got when they put their (R&D) resources together is enormous.
Let's hope that they can bring back together the team that worked on the Lampyridae for MBB in, then, West-Germany.

SlyDog

I just hope that all those European governments for once would really join forces, so that Alenia, BAE, EADS (ALL different firms that are under it's wing), Dassault, Saab, Stork Aerospace, Thales, Ericsson, Rolls Royce etc etc can design great aircraft. Now there are just too many that are intended for about the same role. And the potential they've got when they put their (R&D) resources together is enormous.
Let's hope that they can bring back together the team that worked on the Lampyridae for MBB in, then, West-Germany.
Agreed. I have a feel that "neuron project" is a project to learn and test the ability to cooperate in the same extent as gain and preserve technical competence.

Alpha Epsilon

There will only be a true joint undertaking if the French don't make ridiculous demands as in the 1980s that led to the Eurofighter/Rafale split. Otherwise I can see the Eurofighter partners teaming up once again after the demonstrator stage.