Australian Army Discussions and Updates

A

Aussie Digger

And we are thinking of buying 18?
We are planning to acquire 2x operational batteries with 6x guns per battery to equip 8/12 Medium Regt in support of 1 Brigade Mechanised operations and an additional 6x guns to equip the School of Artillery and Trade Training establishments, so yes, a total of 18x guns under Phase 1 of LAND 17.

winnyfield

Small arms news, always fun.

For the door kickers ....
ADM: CQB weapon sought for Oz Special Forces
CQB weapon sought for Oz Special Forces

04 Aug 2009

Defence has released an RFT for a mature solution to be provided for a Close Quarter Battle (CQB) Weapon System with similar weapon performance to the in-service M4A1 carbine but in a shorter variant for use in urban and confined spaces.

While Defence is open to acquiring a completely new weapon design, its preference is for modifications to the existing carbine including a shortened upper receiver that is compatible with the M4A1 Carbine lower receiver.

Such modifications are readily available.

Developed for US special operations forces, the Close Quarters Battle Receiver (CQBR) is a replacement upper receiver for the M4A1 Carbine.

The CQBR upgrades the M4 with a barrel 10.3 in (260 mm) long, the modern equivalent of the Colt Commando short-barrel M16 variants of the past.

The purpose of the CQBR is to provide operators with a weapon of submachine gun size, but firing a rifle cartridge, for scenarios such as VIP protection, urban warfare, and other close quarters battle (CQB) situations.
Further reading
Tender: https://www.tenders.gov.au/?event=public.advert.show&AdvertUUID=57ECB925-A7DF-9F9F-FFC9D4AC89FD7A5B

ar15.com: Navy Mk18 Mod0 - AR15.COM

A

Aussie Digger

AFP uses the G36C ....

From the tender it just looks like a replacement of the ~10 inch upper reciever. HK does one (for the 416 fans).

Guess the current ones are being worn out, Image Gallery - Operation SLIPPER Afghanistan - Department of Defence
No they aren't. This RFP is for a close quarter battle weapon for TAG-East/West operators in counter assault and other "black" roles.

It isn't intended as a replacement for the M4A5 (not A1) capability currently employed on operations by SOCOMD, but rather as a replacement for 9mm MP5A3 weapons currently used by the TAG.

The intention is to "standardise" on the M4 family and a short 5.56mm CQB weapon is sought for the greater hitting power over the 9mm family whilst remaining integrated with current logistics arrangements.

Basically what SOCOMD is doing is coming into alignment weapon-wise with what Australian Police Tactical Teams have already done...

riksavage

Banned Member
Looks like the Rudd Government is going to allow female recruits to serve in all combat arms. Physical entry requirements are going to be reviewed, quote as follows

"Defence Science and Technology Organisation would develop a new set of physical employment standards for the army that would accurately measure a person's ability to perform the broad variety of jobs in the modern defence force."

To me this will mean one of two things, either differing physical entry requirements based not on gender, but on build - load carry expectations based on percentage of overall weight of the individual, thus avoiding any male/female bias, or a general drop in physical requirements across the board. Let's hope it's the former not the latter.

Michael Yon's recent report showed British female medics in the field with their male counterparts, under fire and taking part in exhaustive and long foot-patrols. No negative reports coming in about them failing to keep up or perform under fire, however they supported, and did not take part in any actual fighting (other than in self-defence).

PeterM

Is there any news on status of the self-propelled howitzer procurement?

It has been rather quiet for some time

King Comm

Is there any news on status of the self-propelled howitzer procurement?

It has been rather quiet for some time
When I was down at "the school" earlier this year, the rumour is that the Korean K-9 is a big favourite at the moment.

And on a related note, 54 of the new 81mm mortars will be purchased to equiped the 4 reserve regiments.

Ozzy Blizzard

No they aren't. This RFP is for a close quarter battle weapon for TAG-East/West operators in counter assault and other "black" roles.

It isn't intended as a replacement for the M4A5 (not A1) capability currently employed on operations by SOCOMD, but rather as a replacement for 9mm MP5A3 weapons currently used by the TAG.

The intention is to "standardise" on the M4 family and a short 5.56mm CQB weapon is sought for the greater hitting power over the 9mm family whilst remaining integrated with current logistics arrangements.

Basically what SOCOMD is doing is coming into alignment weapon-wise with what Australian Police Tactical Teams have already done...
This replacement is just for CQB work right? i.e. VIP protection, hostage stuff and urban work? MP7 looks like a nice piece of kit, 6mm (?) though. Tavour could work too although I'm not sure how many toys you could hang of the thing, and you know how much specwarries love their toys! :D

Any other possibilities?

Waylander

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The MP7 fires 4,6mm rounds.
But don't be afraid as it goes through enemy body armor without problems.

PeterM

When I was down at "the school" earlier this year, the rumour is that the Korean K-9 is a big favourite at the moment.

And on a related note, 54 of the new 81mm mortars will be purchased to equiped the 4 reserve regiments.

the Korean AS-9 is probably the more likely option, but there hasn't bee too much mentioned so far.

What type of mortars are being brought for the reserves?

aren't they replacing the reserve artillery batteries

the road runner

Thales Hawkeye

Channel 10.......5 O'clock news report on Thales ................Hawkeye?

I just caught a glympse of Thales Hawkeye 8 tonne vehicle.This is the first time i have even heard of these Vehicles.They seem similar to a Hummer(but look sexy).They have protection for 5 troops,from IEDs,small arms and shrapnel.

The news report said Hawkeye is the frontrunner for the sale of 1300 units to ARMY.???

I looked on the Thales website but could not locate the Hawkeye ,even on Google.

Anyone have any info on these Vehicles?

Regards

Last edited:

PeterM

there will reportedly be two strong contenders for the medium/heavy capability of phase 3 of Land 121

Thales is submitting 2 Bushmaster Single Cab vehickes (variants of the Bushmaster Protected Mobility Vehicle)

Oshkosh is submitting 5 variants of the USMC Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement (MTVR)

For for information on the new Bushmaster successor, the Hawkei Hawkei - the next generation Australian Light Protected Vehicle

A

Aussie Digger

Channel 10.......5 O'clock news report on Thales ................Hawkeye?

I just caught a glympse of Thales Hawkeye 8 tonne vehicle.This is the first time i have even heard of these Vehicles.They seem similar to a Hummer(but look sexy).They have protection for 5 troops,from IEDs,small arms and shrapnel.

The news report said Hawkeye is the frontrunner for the sale of 1300 units to ARMY.???

I looked on the Thales website but could not locate the Hawkeye ,even on Google.

Anyone have any info on these Vehicles?

Regards
Thales has updated it's website now.

Hawkei - the next generation Australian Light Protected Vehicle

Front-runner?

I doubt it. Thales hasn't built one of them yet, let alone conducted any testing on the thing. So far it has released a couple of computer generated images of the vehicle.

Government has already invested funds into the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle program in the USA. The Thales vehicle was only ever included in the program after they had a massive dummy spit that they weren't even included, despite not formally entering the competition in the first place...

I have no objection whatsoever to Thales winning the contract and supplying the vehicles for Australia, provided the vehicle does what Army requires (and more) and there is little delay in the program.

Somehow I get the feeling that JLTV will get it's "act" together before Thales does however...

the road runner

Front-runner?
Yeh thats what the News report said.Its the front runner..I did take it with a grain of salt .10 NEWS is not the best station for getting your defence info from.Neither is 9 or 7 for a matter a fact:p:

Thanx for the replys guys........

Aww so its just a computer image eh,not even doing donuts yet.How sad.
And here i was all excited,with an Australian Built Vehicle ready for the international market.

Hawkei/JLTV,will give better protection from un armored Land Rovers.Good to see the Government looking at protecting Australias greatest asset......the people of the ADF.

uuname

there will reportedly be two strong contenders for the medium/heavy capability of phase 3 of Land 121

Thales is submitting 2 Bushmaster Single Cab vehickes (variants of the Bushmaster Protected Mobility Vehicle)

Oshkosh is submitting 5 variants of the USMC Medium Tactical Vehicle Replacement (MTVR)
I remember reading they'd finished testing the offroad performance, with some vehicles getting bogged, etc. Unfortunately, no details were provided... ;)

Yeh thats what the News report said.Its the front runner
Press seems to be picking it up now- seems to be a bit of a marketing push on. :rolleyes:
More articles here:
Hawkei - next generation innovation
Hawkei - the Next-Generation Australian Light Protected Vehicle
Thales' newest troop carrier packs punch - Local News - News - General - The Advertiser
Australian troops offered new ride: the Hawkei

They have posted an embarassing marketing fluff video here:
Thales Protected Mobility Vehicles

Also, there's an audio interview here:
Hawkei set to become next generation Bushmaster - ABC Central Victoria (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
This mentions ute variants and remote weapon stations.

They seems to be expecting it to replace the Landrover- I was under the impression that the G-Wagen had already been selected...

Amusingly, it is named after the Barkly Death Adder. That particular snake was named after Bob Hawke... So do you think this vehicle will come with an alcohol-burning engine? :p: