Australian Army Discussions and Updates

King Wally

Many times over the years I have heard of the Army providing assistance to fight bushfires, but most reports don't give details of what form this assistance takes.

Do they -
Stand on the line and physically fight the fire, even though( I assume ) they have limited firefighting training.
Operate plant, dozers etc
Provide logistical support
Provide mess facilities
Cassevac and first aid
All of the above.
I actually work in the media, not in NSW though so I am only talking broadly here however if I were to give a nod to an area that would in my opinion drive emotions and coverage, I would suggest finding a way to deploy to the BlackHawks and MRH-90's (if they haven't already - apologies I just have yet to see it myself).

ie. http://media.masslive.com/breakingnews/photo/-2aded4977285f3ef_large.jpg

The visual of the army riding in from the air to save the day is a powerful one. The use of blackhawks for example during the Queensland floods a couple years ago was amazing and not soon forgotten by joe public who do need a reminder now and then that the Army is about more then just doomsday world war three scenarios.

t68

I actually work in the media, not in NSW though so I am only talking broadly here however if I were to give a nod to an area that would in my opinion drive emotions and coverage, I would suggest finding a way to deploy to the BlackHawks and MRH-90's (if they haven't already - apologies I just have yet to see it myself).

ie. http://media.masslive.com/breakingnews/photo/-2aded4977285f3ef_large.jpg

The visual of the army riding in from the air to save the day is a powerful one. The use of blackhawks for example during the Queensland floods a couple years ago was amazing and not soon forgotten by joe public who do need a reminder now and then that the Army is about more then just doomsday world war three scenarios.

I have all way wondered why the each state governments do not buy the Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System for the RAAF to use in emergency if every state and territory bought one of these we could in times of bushfire emergencies have 3/4 extra aircraft dropping water or fire retarded .

Now that Army is getting self-deployable loading trucks to replace the Mack’s and unimogs this is where the state governments should be buying extra flatbed racks and additional ISO containers which can be placed in strategic locations for use of the forward deployed units for future bushfire emergencies, if adam bandt thinks taxing us will stop bushfires he is truly delusional

It’s time the governments look to see how we can complement each other I know SA bought a few bushmaster fire kings how well these fair I have no knowledge of but it was a start

http://www.lockheedmartin.com.au/co...s/Wed_1600-Modular_Airborne_Fire_Fighting.pdf

http://www.thalesprotectedmobility.com.au/brochures/8p_Fireking_web.pdf

John Newman

The Bunker Group
I have all way wondered why the each state governments do not buy the Modular Airborne Fire Fighting System for the RAAF to use in emergency if every state and territory bought one of these we could in times of bushfire emergencies have 3/4 extra aircraft dropping water or fire retarded .

Now that Army is getting self-deployable loading trucks to replace the Mack’s and unimogs this is where the state governments should be buying extra flatbed racks and additional ISO containers which can be placed in strategic locations for use of the forward deployed units for future bushfire emergencies, if adam bandt thinks taxing us will stop bushfires he is truly delusional

It’s time the governments look to see how we can complement each other I know SA bought a few bushmaster fire kings how well these fair I have no knowledge of but it was a start

http://www.lockheedmartin.com.au/co...s/Wed_1600-Modular_Airborne_Fire_Fighting.pdf

http://www.thalesprotectedmobility.com.au/brochures/8p_Fireking_web.pdf

And maybe if we had kept some of those not so worn out C-130H aircraft that we gave to our friends to the north of us there would be some aircraft on fire fighting standby and specially dedicated to carrying those Modular Airborne Fire Fighting systems too!

In regard to your comments about the trucks and the containers, now that we have a new PM who is also an active member of the RFS, it might be worth sending him a letter and asking him the question, be interesting what his response would be.

As to Army or ADF support to the bushfire fighting effort, I'm sure that if the RFS or State Government needed assistance or equipment, beyond what they already have, I'm sure that assistance and support for be available if asked for.

Lets just hope that they get these fires under control sooner than later.

t68

And maybe if we had kept some of those not so worn out C-130H aircraft that we gave to our friends to the north of us there would be some aircraft on fire fighting standby and specially dedicated to carrying those Modular Airborne Fire Fighting systems too!

In regard to your comments about the trucks and the containers, now that we have a new PM who is also an active member of the RFS, it might be worth sending him a letter and asking him the question, be interesting what his response would be.

As to Army or ADF support to the bushfire fighting effort, I'm sure that if the RFS or State Government needed assistance or equipment, beyond what they already have, I'm sure that assistance and support for be available if asked for.

Lets just hope that they get these fires under control sooner than later.

Good idea he of all people should realize that all the equipment is needed. Could have made some dollars with the MAFFS system and the ex H models be a bit like those sky cranes which we hire out every year, get reserve RAAF pilots in on the deal.

Will have a bit of time tomorrow waiting and watching to see what happens with Halls Road fire, all the schools in the district are closed tomorrow so I’ll find out where to send the idea to the PM.

ngatimozart

Super Moderator
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Good idea he of all people should realize that all the equipment is needed. Could have made some dollars with the MAFFS system and the ex H models be a bit like those sky cranes which we hire out every year, get reserve RAAF pilots in on the deal.

Will have a bit of time tomorrow waiting and watching to see what happens with Halls Road fire, all the schools in the district are closed tomorrow so I’ll find out where to send the idea to the PM.
Why can't the modules be used in the RAAF C130Js? The yanks use USAF or ANG C130s for fire fighting. Would be a lot cheaper than having C130Hs sitting around 6 - 8 months of the year, plus all the associated operating costs for an old airframe.

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Why can't the modules be used in the RAAF C130Js? The yanks use USAF or ANG C130s for fire fighting. Would be a lot cheaper than having C130Hs sitting around 6 - 8 months of the year, plus all the associated operating costs for an old airframe.
Or even on C-27Js, if its modular it sounds like the way to go. I have often wondered why we never had a fire bomber capability in Aust.

11 x Ex-Military Grumman Trackers

Three days left on this option.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
There's a whole pile of ex Army Mercedes 911 Fire trucks which are now on the market - all low mileage

I've always been of the view that those kinds of vehicles should be held in reserve for national fire emergencies like this etc....

probably close to 50-70 of them are now sitting in Truck yards

t68

Yep they can use the J’s, refurbish those H models and the can be used not just in Aust but anywhere in the world setting up a business like Erickson air-crane service.
The idea I used was that the pilots can become reserve pilots in the RAAF and operate these plans and if we need additional lift for whatever reason we have the option of using these aircraft, not sure of the implications of civil certification though.

Omega air refueling use ex RAAF aircraft and no different from a Kiwi perspective which SLEP its C130H aircraft.

BuSOF

Hello, guys! I have some questions about the Australian Army. I appologize, if they have been discussed previously. I tried to find some info about it, but it is a hard thing to do in such a long topic.

1) The Plan Beersheba states, that the three active brigades (1st, 3rd and 7th) are to be converted to "become fundamentally alike in structure"
What do the planers envision, when they say that? The three brigades are combined arms brigades already. They have all the forces categories - cavalry; infantry; artillery; engineers; signals; logistics. But other than that the three brigades are very different from one another. To me it seems, that the 1st is a heavy formation for high intensity conflicts, the 7th is a motorised formation for low intensity conflicts and the 3rd is to be made of rapid deployment units to enforce either the 1st or the 7th brigades.

2) What was the justification to discontinue the airborne role or the 3rd Bn, RAR and leave the army without that capability? Afterall now that the army is working on an amphibious warfare battalion under the 3rd Brigade to me it seems, that a brigade of an airborne battalion; an amphibious APC battalion and a Bushmaster IMV airmobile-qualified battalion as a follow-up force to either of the previous two would have been a very nice combination. I doubt that the only reason for "cuting the wings" of the 3RAR is money, especially considering the amount of money the ADF is spending these days. To me it seems very strange and unjustified to greatly enhance the airlift capabilities with C-17s, C-130s, C-27s, air tankers, new troop carrying helicopters and at the same time to scrap the airborne capability.

3) So now it is clear, that the 2RAR is becoming an amphibious infantry battalion. What are the plans for the 1RAR and the 3RAR?

4) I think I have seen somewhere in the public Plan Beersheba documents about the army planing to have 9 regular infantry battalions, but I only count 7. What are the plans about the other two, or am I mistaken about the number?

5) What is the rationale behind the artillery reorganisation? Why is there only one fire, but three observation batteries in each artillery regiment? Do the observation batteries have a secondary role of mortar batteries? Our armed force are traditionally trained in lines with the Soviet army art of operations, so I am maybe unable to think about force structures out of the box, but to me field artillery battalions should include three identical fire batteries to provide continuous fire support, so while one battery is firing, another is maneuvering or taking positions to open fire and the third battery is leaving its positions after a fire barrage. Is that the envisioned mode of operations of the fire battery and its three fire troops?

6) Are there plans for a self-propelled howitzers acquisition for the artillery regiment of the 1st Brigade, because naturally towed artillery greatly reduces the mobility of a mechanised brigade? I think I have seen plans for the Australian Army to acquire CAESAR (or alike) artillery systems. Are these plans scraped, as it is buying M777A2 towed systems?

and one last question, a bit unrelated. For that I apologize, but still:

7) I see that the New Zealand Army has reverted its infantry battalions back to motorised units and it has only one mechanised unit. At the same time it is selling surplus NZLAVs. Does this mean, that the NZ Army is using the Australian 2nd Cavalry Regiment as a model for the Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles, because IIRC selling the surplus NZLAVs would leave their army with as much machines, as the complement of the Australian regiment?

Thank you!

ADMk2

Just a bloke
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
Hello, guys! I have some questions about the Australian Army. I appologize, if they have been discussed previously. I tried to find some info about it, but it is a hard thing to do in such a long topic.

1) The Plan Beersheba states, that the three active brigades (1st, 3rd and 7th) are to be converted to "become fundamentally alike in structure"
What do the planers envision, when they say that? The three brigades are combined arms brigades already. They have all the forces categories - cavalry; infantry; artillery; engineers; signals; logistics. But other than that the three brigades are very different from one another. To me it seems, that the 1st is a heavy formation for high intensity conflicts, the 7th is a motorised formation for low intensity conflicts and the 3rd is to be made of rapid deployment units to enforce either the 1st or the 7th brigades.

2) What was the justification to discontinue the airborne role or the 3rd Bn, RAR and leave the army without that capability? Afterall now that the army is working on an amphibious warfare battalion under the 3rd Brigade to me it seems, that a brigade of an airborne battalion; an amphibious APC battalion and a Bushmaster IMV airmobile-qualified battalion as a follow-up force to either of the previous two would have been a very nice combination. I doubt that the only reason for "cuting the wings" of the 3RAR is money, especially considering the amount of money the ADF is spending these days. To me it seems very strange and unjustified to greatly enhance the airlift capabilities with C-17s, C-130s, C-27s, air tankers, new troop carrying helicopters and at the same time to scrap the airborne capability.

3) So now it is clear, that the 2RAR is becoming an amphibious infantry battalion. What are the plans for the 1RAR and the 3RAR?

4) I think I have seen somewhere in the public Plan Beersheba documents about the army planing to have 9 regular infantry battalions, but I only count 7. What are the plans about the other two, or am I mistaken about the number?

5) What is the rationale behind the artillery reorganisation? Why is there only one fire, but three observation batteries in each artillery regiment? Do the observation batteries have a secondary role of mortar batteries? Our armed force are traditionally trained in lines with the Soviet army art of operations, so I am maybe unable to think about force structures out of the box, but to me field artillery battalions should include three identical fire batteries to provide continuous fire support, so while one battery is firing, another is maneuvering or taking positions to open fire and the third battery is leaving its positions after a fire barrage. Is that the envisioned mode of operations of the fire battery and its three fire troops?

6) Are there plans for a self-propelled howitzers acquisition for the artillery regiment of the 1st Brigade, because naturally towed artillery greatly reduces the mobility of a mechanised brigade? I think I have seen plans for the Australian Army to acquire CAESAR (or alike) artillery systems. Are these plans scraped, as it is buying M777A2 towed systems?

and one last question, a bit unrelated. For that I apologize, but still:

7) I see that the New Zealand Army has reverted its infantry battalions back to motorised units and it has only one mechanised unit. At the same time it is selling surplus NZLAVs. Does this mean, that the NZ Army is using the Australian 2nd Cavalry Regiment as a model for the Queen Alexandra's Mounted Rifles, because IIRC selling the surplus NZLAVs would leave their army with as much machines, as the complement of the Australian regiment?

Thank you!
There is tons of stuff on Plan Beersheba if you read past the first page of the thread...

In short however, all 3 regular Beersheba Brigades will be like equipped. There won't be a significant difference between them. All Australian infantry battalions will be "light" if you wish (in the classical sense) with taskforces generated for operations as we have done since WW2.

As necessary for envisaged operations any infantry deployed will undergo mission rehearsal exercises and be trained appropriately for the deployment. If the task dictates a need for heavy armour, they'll go heavy. If it's light infantry or air mobile operations that are required, that's what will deploy and so on.

Each brigade will have on it's Orbat however an ACR - Armoured Combat Regiment including tanks, APC's and LAV's or whatever replaces these vehicles under LAND 400.

Each Regular Beersheba Brigade will therefore get similar allocations of armour and will have the same artillery capability. The 3RAR Airborne role was also scrapped because it was a significant drain on Army resources for too little ACTUAL operational benefit in return. 3RAR is now a light infantry battalion based in Townsville. SOCOMD maintain a capability to conduct airborne insertions up to company level (on paper) however so it isn't completed gone from ADF capability.

2RAR is tasked with developing and maintaining the intial ARE - Amphibious Ready Element that Army will provide for use from the LHD's. None of our transport assets you mentioned however will want for lack of work and the lack of a regular Airborne battalion will actually assist that.

There may only be "one" gun battery in a Beersheba artillery regiment, but that "one" battery has 12 155mm guns in it, which is far more firepower than the previous "three" gun battery field regiments equipped with six 105mm guns. Particularly when combined with the new smart fuses, Excalibur, SMART 155 and AFADTS capabilities that have been introduced alongside the new guns.

I believe the final structure of the Artillery Regiments has yet to be decided and I doubt 3 Observation Batteries will be the final structure. The batteries are no long field batteries either, now that all of RAA is equipped with 155mm guns.

The SP gun project was cancelled by the previous Government, but may be revisited by the current Government. I doubt it will be a huge priority though.

As to us being trained along Soviet lines, I'm not sure I've ever heard of that...

Bluey 006

With rising diplomatic tension between Australia and Indonesia over the SBY spying allegations and Indonesia's continuing military modernization, does Australia need to again start considering the remote possibility of an armed confrontation with a well armed TNI in the not too distant future?

Australia's security is directly connected to Indonesia. Traditionally, strategic thinking has been that any credible direct military threats would have to come from or through the archipelago to our north.

Loose defence and security cooperation agreements, and gifts of transport aircraft aside.... Assuming it's economic growth continues, how quickly could Indonesia itself become a serious potential military threat to Australia? 15 years, 25 years, 40 Years? Or become so unfriendly that it would allow another power to use its territory as a bases for attacks on Australia? 5 years? 10 Years? 15 years?

--
Indonesia has acquired 103 Leopard 2A4 main battle tanks (MBTs), 42 upgraded Marder 1A3 infantry fighting vehicles, and 11 armoured recovery and engineering vehicles from surplus German Army stocks, Rheinmetall Defence confirmed in a 13 November statement.

w*w.janes.com/article/29983/rheinmetall-confirms-indonesian-leopard-2-contract]Rheinmetall confirms Indonesian Leopard 2 contract - IHS Jane's 360[/url]
---
Other recent acquisitions or future acquisitions:

-Caesar 155mm artillery systems
-Astros II MLRS systems ( consider the AVMT-300 - cruise missile with a range of 300 kilometers)
-AH-64 Apache
-FGM-148 Javelin
-Advanced Fighters (4th / 5th Gen)
- European SSKs
- Fast missile boats with Anti-ship missiles

STURM

does Australia need to again start considering the remote possibility of an armed confrontation with a well armed TNI in the not too distant future?
The current 'breakdown' in relations will not last and will soon boil over, like all previous diplomatic spates both countries have had over the past few decades; it is not in Indonesia's interest for this to drag on indefinitely and Australia needs good relations with the largest ASEAN country, one with close to a 250 million population. People have different opinions over the issue and some feel the Indonesians are overreacting but the fact remains that there is genuine anger and a feeling of insult amongst Indonesians over the alleged spying and the Indonesian government has to be seen to be doing something.

Australia's security is directly connected to Indonesia. Traditionally, strategic thinking has been that any credible direct military threats would have to come from or through the archipelago to our north.
And Indonesia's security and threat perceptions are directed from elsewhere; Indonesia has a territorial dispute with Malaysia and although she is not a claimant in the Spratly's dispute, is very worried over the possibility of her sea lanes being affected should trouble break out in the South China Sea. Irrespective of whether Indonesia ever becomes a threat or not, Australia will mantain her longstanding policy of mantaining a qualitative/technological edge.

Indonesia has acquired 103 Leopard 2A4 main battle tanks (MBTs), 42 upgraded Marder 1A3 infantry fighting vehicles, and 11 armoured recovery and engineering vehicles from surplus German Army stocks, Rheinmetall Defence confirmed in a 13 November statement.
The TNI has a lot of catching up to do, it was hard hit by the 1997 Asian Economic Crisis and there were hardly any major purchaces during the early 2000's, most of the defence budget during this period was used to meet operational costs. Contracts signed over the past few years will certainly better enable the TNI to defend Indonesian territory but they won't significantly increase the TNIs capabilities to project power beyond its borders and should be seen in the context of long delayed modersnisation plan that are is now able to be implemented thanks to an improved economy.

Last edited:

Bluey 006

The current 'breakdown' in relations will not last and will soon boil over, like all previous diplomatic spates both countries have had over the past few decades; it is not in Indonesia's interest for this to drag on indefinitely and Australia needs good relations with the largest ASEAN country, one with close to a 250 million population. People have different opinions over the issue and some feel the Indonesians are overreacting but the fact remains that there is genuine anger and a feeling of insult amongst Indonesians over the alleged spying and the Indonesian government has to be seen to be doing something.
The question is, does that Abbott government have the foreign relations/diplomatic skills or will to smooth this over as has happened in the past?

And Indonesia's security and threat perceptions are directed from elsewhere; Indonesia has a territorial dispute with Malaysia and although she is not a claimant in the Spratly's dispute, is very worried over the possibility of her sea lanes being affected should trouble break out in the South China Sea. Irrespective of whether Indonesia ever becomes a threat or not, Australia will mantain her longstanding policy of mantaining a qualitative/technological edge.
At what point will our qualitative/technological edge be marginal? if Indonesia continues to modernize and we continue to delay major decisions.
After the AWD destroyers come in service but before the future frigrate/ subs and JSF enter service etc? (at which point the F/A 18s, ANZACs and Collins will be long in the tooth)

I guess what I am trying to get at here is....will there be a danger zone in 5 years/10 years etc where our technological edge is eroded to minimal levels?

The TNI has a lot of catching up to do, it was hard hit by the 1997 Asian Economic Crisis and there were hardly any major purchaces during the early 2000's, most of the defence budget during this period was used to meet operational costs. Contracts signed over the past few years will certainly better enable the TNI to defend Indonesian territory but they won't significantly increase the TNIs capabilities to project power beyond its borders and should be seen in the context of long delayed modersnisation plan that are is now able to be implemented thanks to an improved economy.
What kind of procurement will raise alarm bells? Transport ships/ cruise missiles/advanced radar jamming etc

JORN and its ability to monitor air and sea movements is obviously a thorn in the side for Indonesia or any potential aggressor in our northern approaches. What emerging technologies/tactics could compromise or nullify this system?

:kar :lam

old faithful

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
With rising diplomatic tension between Australia and Indonesia over the SBY spying allegations and Indonesia's continuing military modernization, does Australia need to again start considering the remote possibility of an armed confrontation with a well armed TNI in the not too distant future?

Loose defence and security cooperation agreements, and gifts of transport aircraft aside.... Assuming it's economic growth continues, how quickly could Indonesia itself become a serious potential military threat to Australia? 15 years, 25 years, 40 Years? Or become so unfriendly that it would allow another power to use its territory as a bases for attacks on Australia? 5 years? 10 Years? 15 years?

--

w*w.janes.com/article/29983/rheinmetall-confirms-indonesian-leopard-2-contract]Rheinmetall confirms Indonesian Leopard 2 contract - IHS Jane's 360[/url]
---
Other recent acquisitions or future acquisitions:

-Caesar 155mm artillery systems
-Astros II MLRS systems ( consider the AVMT-300 - cruise missile with a range of 300 kilometers)
-AH-64 Apache
-FGM-148 Javelin
-Advanced Fighters (4th / 5th Gen)
- European SSKs
- Fast missile boats with Anti-ship missiles
The phone tapping occured in 2009, in an election year.
2014 is also an election year. This reaction, very public, very loud, is nothing more than electioneering by SBY and his party.
There is a volcano erupting ATM, who knows what next.
I don't think this incident will be very damageing, and I definatly don't think that Indonesia has any interest in an armed conflict with any country inthe near future.

STURM

What kind of procurement will raise alarm bells? Transport ships/ cruise missiles/advanced radar jamming etc
Indonesia's defence procurement are part of a long delayed modernisation effort to better enable the TNI to defend sovereign Indonesian territory and should be seen in this context. The TNI is not developing any capabilities that significantly improves its ability to project power beyond its borders or to engage in high tempo ops against a foreign country. There is no indication at all that Indonesia sees Australia as a long term threat or is even taking steps to counter the ADFs technological and training superiority. That Indonesia has choose to base its Su-27s/30s in Sulawesi and build a new sub base there tells us a lot about of Indonesia's security concerns and its threat perceptions.

IMO alarms bells will start ringing when the TNI devotes itself wholeheartedly to external security and starts to develop capabilities that would enable it to project land/sea/air power beyond its borders. With regards to who poses a threat or not, it can be argued that the Indonesians should be the ones expressing concern as the ADF has all kinds of gear that the TNI doesn't and the ADF is a world apart in capability. The RAN can fit Tomahawks on its future SSKs and say that its for self-defence, contributes to regional security, and it poses no threat to any country; the TNI-AL in turn can fit Brahmos to future Russian SSKs and say exactly the same thing but this might be seen by some as a threat....

JORN and its ability to monitor air and sea movements is obviously a thorn in the side for Indonesia or any potential aggressor in our northern approaches. What emerging technologies/tactics could compromise or nullify this system?
Indeed, but we are unlikely to ever see the day - for a variety of reasons - when Indonesia poses a direct threat to Australia, when the TNI actually has the capability to do so [the government will have to significantly increse the defence budget] or when the country allows its territory to be used by a 3rd party as a launchung pad. Indonesia has other pressing security concerns to focus on and for geopolitical reasons both countries need each other. If Indonesians has no designs on Australia why would JORN be a thorn in its side?

This reaction, very public, very loud, is nothing more than electioneering by SBY and his party.
Even if it wasn't election year, I think the reaction would have been the same for the reason that the Indonesians are genuinely annoyed and that there are groups that want to capitalise on this. We can argue that the Indonesians are actually much more annoyed with Australia's reaction and statements made, rather than the alleged spying which the Indonesians understand is part of the game that nations routinely play. Seen from an Indonesian perspective - never mind that most of the folks on the streets have no idea as to why their protesting - there is genuine anger over the alleged spying, especially given it happened during a period when both countries are enjoying a period of improved relations.

The Australian embassy got off easy compared to the Malaysian embassy - the Australian embassy got pelted with eggs and rotten fruits and the Malaysian embassy in 2010 got pelted with excrement :] And 2 Royal Malaysian Air Force C-130s that delivered humanitarian aid to Sumatera had stones thrown at them....

Last edited:

Geddy

On a completely different tack, I'm curious about the state of air defense in the Army. I understand all that is being used is the RBS-70. If this is the case does anyone have experience or knowledge of this system, it's effectiveness and how it's deployed? Are there any programs to enhance the capability?

t68

On a completely different tack, I'm curious about the state of air defense in the Army. I understand all that is being used is the RBS-70. If this is the case does anyone have experience or knowledge of this system, it's effectiveness and how it's deployed? Are there any programs to enhance the capability?
I am not aware of any program to replace the RBS-70, but the 16th Air Land Regiment is often deployed on the RAN support ships as the primary point defence operator

MARKMILES77

Not strictly an Australian Army story but probably the closest relevant thread.

Thales Bushmaster for Jamaica Defence Force.

Thales Australia has signed a contract to supply 12 Bushmaster vehicles to the Jamaica Defence Force.

The vehicles are all troop carrier variants equipped with Thales’s SOTAS M2 communication system, and deliveries will begin in 2015.

The contract also includes a five-year support package to ensure the highest levels of availability and performance.

Chris Jenkins, Thales Australia CEO, said: “The Jamaica Defence Force has a longstanding interest in Bushmaster, and we are now very pleased to add them as an export customer.

“The Bushmasters are ideally suited for both internal security and humanitarian operations. The inclusion of the support package demonstrates the customer’s trust in us to deliver and maintain an effective capability over several years.

“Once again, the confidence shown in Bushmaster’s ability to protect troops and save lives reflects very well on the skills of Australian industry, and the important role that Thales and the 120 companies in the Bushmaster supply chain play in providing a unique Australian capability in protected vehicles.”

Volkodav

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Just found something interesting on the DMO website when I was researching LAND 400.

Defence Materiel Organisation

The attached PDF "LEWG Presentation 11 Nov 2013" includes the proposed load outs of the Canberra Class LHDs, including one slide showing what appears to be ten folded Chinooks on the upper vehicle deck and another with 13 Abrams on the lower deck and another with 42 IFVs on the lower deck as well as the dock area.

Haven't read all the PDFs yet but thought I'd link the page for interested parties to have a look for themselves.

meatshield

Just found something interesting on the DMO website when I was researching LAND 400.

Defence Materiel Organisation

The attached PDF "LEWG Presentation 11 Nov 2013" includes the proposed load outs of the Canberra Class LHDs, including one slide showing what appears to be ten folded Chinooks on the upper vehicle deck and another with 13 Abrams on the lower deck and another with 42 IFVs on the lower deck as well as the dock area.

Haven't read all the PDFs yet but thought I'd link the page for interested parties to have a look for themselves.
It will be interesting if we get more than the planned 7 new chinooks.