RMAF Future; need opinions

koxinga

Seems like the discussion on used Kuwaiti F-18s are back on the agenda.

The local defense blogger gave more insights into the local news reports of a trip in June to Kuwait for negotiations. While they desire as many spare airframes as possible, up to 12 to reactivate a single squadron is planned and 4 more dual seats. So they will end up with 2 squadrons, 12 x F-18C (single seaters), 12 x F-18D (dual seaters, with the 8 existing Ds)

Picking 16 good airframes out of 32/33 offers better chances for a longer lifespan. This would be realistic from a sustainment perspective given that RMAF deactivated and never replaced their MiG-29 squadron. (14 units)

Ananda

The Bunker Group
Hopefully this time around, this ex Kuwaiti Hornet procurement will not turn out (again) on prolong drama. Having 1 sq F-18C and 1 sq F-18D, support by 2 sq LCA of FA-50 plus existing sq of Su-30MKM going to put back lost capacities. Not also counting the LCA and Hornet using similar engine, going to improve their logistics footprint. Something thar Malaysian AF also pursuing.

koxinga

If they can secure the rest of the airframes, RMAF can stockpile significant quantity of spares to sustain the 24 operational units for the next 10 - 15 years up to 2035 - 2040.

All of this, still unclear where it stands with US and the Kuwaitis. I presume US gave the greenlight for discussions else it won't happen.

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Out of interest what happened to the Mig-29's? I wonder if the USA has looked into buying them to then pass onto Ukraine. Cheers.

koxinga

Out of interest what happened to the Mig-29's? I wonder if the USA has looked into buying them to then pass onto Ukraine. Cheers.
Why would Malaysia sell to US for transfer to Ukraine, when they are operators of RU SU-30MKM and potentially get screwed by the OEM in the support? They have tried to diversify their MRO to reduce cost and be less reliant on RU but key components still come from RU.

The idea of transfering RU equipment to support Ukraine is relevant to European countries that faces a direct threat, but gets increasingly irrelevant outside of Europe. Case in point was the planned transfer of Mil-17 helicopters from Ecuador and the threat of Russian reliatation over the banana trade.

That being said, at least one has ended up as a gate guardian and one in the museum.

Last edited:

Pusser01

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Why would Malaysia sell to US for transfer to Ukraine, when they are operators of RU SU-30MKM and potentially get screwed by the OEM in the support? They have tried to diversify their MRO to reduce cost and be less reliant on RU but key components still come from RU.

The idea of transfering RU equipment to support Ukraine is relevant to European countries that faces a direct threat, but gets increasingly irrelevant outside of Europe. Case in point was the planned transfer of Mil-17 helicopters from Ecuador and the threat of Russian reliatation over the banana trade.

That being said, at least one has ended up as a gate guardian and one in the museum.

They may try to divest themselves from RU equipment exactly for that reason, supply of spares & support has been an issue over the lifespan of both the Su-20 & Mig-29.

koxinga

They may try to divest themselves from RU equipment exactly for that reason, supply of spares & support has been an issue over the lifespan of both the Su-20 & Mig-29.
Divesting RU hardware due to maintenance reasons is different from diversting RU hardware to aid Ukraine. The Americans never asked, so I supposed there's that. But even if they did, few if any states in the region would release military hardware knowing it would end up in Ukraine.

Sandhi Yudha

It will be maybe better if Malaysia sell their MiG-29Ns to India, so India can use them for spareparts to keep their MiG-29K longer.

Now something else, about the TAI Anka.
|"Malaysian Anka-S drones are expected to be based at Labuan Air Base in East Malaysia, allowing for persistent coverage of the South China Sea and Malaysia’s maritime border with the Philippines."|
Seems like a good decision to me, this make Malaysia more capable to patrol its EEZ surrounding the James Shoal (Beting Serupai) and the Luconia Shoals (Beting Raja Jarum/Patinggi Ali), north of Sarawak.

I also wonder how similar the 12 TAI Anka UAVs Indonesia has ordered from Turkey.

Edit: already 10 days old news, but i just found this...

The State Department has approved a possible Foreign Military Sale of 10 AN/AAQ-33 Sniper Advanced Targeting Pods for the 8 F-18D multirole fighters of TUDM. The estimated total cost is $80 million.

Last edited: