U.S. experts fear Russia-China axis

kashifshahzad

Banned Member
UPI
Wed, 5 Oct 2005, 09:14

WASHINGTON: Recent joint military exercises between Russia and China have prompted fears that a new axis is emerging in Asia.

There is a real possibility of a sharp deterioration in Sino-American relations, Igor Zevelev, Washington bureau chief for Russia's RIA-Novosti news agency told United Press International.

If the Bush administration misinterpreted Chinese signals of self-assertion as belligerent expansionism, then the prospect of a new hostility between the United States and China reminiscent of the Cold War was not far off, he said.

Zevelev was speaking after a panel last week at Washington's conservative Heritage Foundation. The panel looked at Russia and China's recent joint military maneuvers on China's Shandong peninsula.

The Russian and Chinese governments described the 'Peace Mission 2005' joint military maneuvers, the first large-scale omens the two nations have ever held together from Aug. 18-25, as an anti-terrorism exercise. Coming at the same time as Hurricane Katrina hit Louisiana and New Orleans, the maneuvers received relatively little attention in the U.S. media.

"The scale of the operation suggests something more than anti-terrorism, as was claimed," said Stephen Blank, professor at the Strategic Studies Institute of the U.S. Army War College, in a statement to the conference.

The war games involved nearly 10,000 troops including 1,800 Russian military personnel, scores of advanced aircraft including Russian TU-95 and TU-22 heavy bombers, which can carry cruise missiles, and army, navy, air force, marine, airborne, and logistics units from both countries.

Click Here to Read Full Article

URL of this article:
http://www.defencetalk.com/news/publish/article_003667.php

I really dont know what is going to happen in the coming years US is after China and China is after Taiwan.And the question is this if the situation arise that the tension between the US and China increases then in that situation what will be the role of Russia.Russia is equiping China but i dont know whether it will support China or not.
And if China and Russia become allies then What will Pakistan and India do.You all know that Pakistan is China's ally and India is Russian ally Pakistan might want to be a a part of the axis and China would definetly support but on the other hand Russia would want India be be in the axis i cant understand what will be the situation in the coming years
Time will tell

Hussain

I really dont know what is going to happen in the coming years US is after China and China is after Taiwan.And the question is this if the situation arise that the tension between the US and China increases then in that situation what will be the role of Russia.Russia is equiping China but i dont know whether it will support China or not.
And if China and Russia become allies then What will Pakistan and India do.You all know that Pakistan is China's ally and India is Russian ally Pakistan might want to be a a part of the axis and China would definetly support but on the other hand Russia would want India be be in the axis i cant understand what will be the situation in the coming years
Time will tell[/quote]

I don't think Russia has a clue either. They are trying to sell military by hardware to China by demonstrating their capability. At the same time Russia is probably trying to warn NATO that it can create alliances with emerging powers. However Russia's real problems are really in Eastern and Central Europe where China has no real interest. Central Asia maybe an area of concern to both , but as it happens the US is losing ground there already. In Afghanistan the Chinese and Russians are aware that NATO is bogged down in the 'forgotten war.'
I am sure both nations are quite satisfied with NATO's position there(Afghanistan)which is of the degradation of NATO's equipment and the moral of its troops. Don't forget that the USSR spent ten years there and didn't achieve anything.

India in the current situation will not take the side of China or Russia over the US. It is the natural ally of the US againbst China. India also believes its the next global power. Pakistan is in a bit of a pickle-China is its closest ally however the US is providing military assistance at present. I think China may take the initaitive by developing Gwadar and providing anti ship missile and BVR technology to Pakistan so it doesn't need to depend on US. Satellites and next generation nuclear reactors could also be a distinct possibility.

Last edited by a moderator: