RAAF VIP Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.

GuyfromBrisbane

I would like to get thoughts on the merits of replacing the current Boeing Business Jets with the BBJ3 model when the leases expire. (BBJ3 is based on 737-900ER airframe which is longer than the BBJ's 737-700 airframe) Even if KC-30s with VIP interiors are used on overseas trips (I don't like the idea but that's beside the point), the majority of VIP flights for the PM and GG would be domestic where a large aircraft and/or space for journalists is not needed. The BBJ3's would provide more internal space without significant increase in running costs and would have common training / maintenance requirements with the BBJs and the 737NG based Wedgetail and Poseidon in the future.

Also I think the Bombardier Global 5000 might be better than the current Challenger 604's due to it having both longer range and shorter runway needs. It could possibly also mean that the Foreign Minister etc could travel OS without needing to take one of the larger aircraft as well.

Other possibilities are that some of the King Air's that 38 Squadron currently operates could be tranfered to Canberra and retained for general tranport of lower level VIPs and general transport of personnel after the battlefield airlifter is introduced. Another possibility is that they could get CHC who operates the SAR S-76's to also operate one or two VIP configured S-76's for point to point VIP flights between Canberra and Sydney. e.g. The GG could fly from Government House in Canberra straight to Admiralty House in Sydney without needing to take up a jet and avoiding the hassle of VIP road transport to/from the airports.

These are just some ideas I am putting forward if anyone has any thoughts about this.

The Royal Australian Air Force is now operating three Dassault Falcon 7Xs as VIP transports. In June 2023, it placed an order for two Boeing 737 MAX 8 Business Jets (BBJ) to replace its 737 Next Generation BBJs in the VIP transport role.

Status
Not open for further replies.