Modernization of Chinese SIGINT facilities in Cuba

Found this recent CSIS report on the Chinese SIGINT presence in Cuba:

It's been known to me for years that even before Russia shut down the Lourdes SIGINT base near Havana in 2002, China began operating a SIGINT facility in the Cuban town of Bejucal in the 1990s. However, the revelation of additional Chinese SIGINT bases in a few other cities of Cuba besides Bejucal, including El Salao, Wajay, and Calabazar sheds new light on Chinese SIGINT activities on the island and further highlights the extent to which China has already replaced the defunct USSR as the US rival which Cuba can host militarily 90 miles off the coast of Florida.

Last edited:

Feanor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Found this recent CSIS report on the Chinese SIGINT presence in Cuba:

It's been known to me for years that even before Russia shut down the Lourdes SIGINT base near Havana in 2002, China began operating a SIGINT facility in the Cuban town of Bejucal in the 1990s. However, the revelation of additional Chinese SIGINT bases in a few other cities of Cuba besides Bejucal, including El Salao, Wajay, and Calabazar sheds new light on Chinese SIGINT activities on the island and further highlights the extent to which China has already replaced the defunct USSR as the US rival which Cuba can host militarily 90 miles off the coast of Florida.
Hi Masquerader. Welcome to the forums.

First off, I would encourage you to introduce yourself here;

Second off please read the forum rules;

Third off please consider your approach. You're posting a lot and generally your posts aren't inherently bad, but it's often in a dead thread that hasn't been active in years or in a format that raises questions about what it is you want to discuss. Consider what discussion you want to have, and what you're contributing to that discussion beyond a mere summary of the article you're linking to. Consider the context in the thread you're posting in or the thread you're creating.