ATF concepts that did not make it

Atilla [TR]

Some interesting ones the first one is my favorite. Apparently the aiplane in the first pic that was the first of Lockheads design they had one before that was based of the SR 71 but it was a failure in tests so they developed this one from the F-117 (Wing shapes). I really like the first one actually wish they made this. (Maybe Turkey should under TAI).For the first one what do you guys predict the qualities to be I.E intangibility's etc.

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/planes/q0021a.shtml
All info from here

Third pic is General dynamics version, fourth is all the early designs.

nevidimka

yeah i know these pics. there was an article on the evolution of the ATF into F22 today, n these pics were from there.
I was trying to get the pic especially the General dynamics design. I'm interested in the wing design for their stealth concept.

What do you guys think will be the performance of such a wing if a plane is built based on that?
Also how stealthy will that wing design be compared to the F22 current 1?

Of course if the vertical tail is split into 2 outward canted diamond tails, I believe it will improve the stealthiness of that particular concept.

gf0012-aust

Grumpy Old Man
Staff member
Verified Defense Pro
the F-117 could be navalized, IMO.
No it couldn't. It was a stop gap frame and was never made robust enough or intended for carrier ops.

All credible F-117 sources (including the engineers who still are active on the Skunk Works email distribution group) have reinforced this.

Abraham Gubler

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
There was also naval A-12 Avenger II. BTW, the F-117 could be navalized, IMO.
The GD/McAir A-12A was a disaster of a design and proposal from start to finish. What was interesting was its rival, the Northrop/Grumman/LTV “A-11” aircraft. The stealth shape and wing planform of this design lives on in the X-47B UCAS-D which is effectively a 60% size, single engine, no crew version of it.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/Blargon2002/xplane-top.jpg
Picture

Atilla [TR]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do you guys think the first ATF concept would have done the one heavily flared from the cock pit to the rear?

Ozzy Blizzard

Salty Dog

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro
The GD/McAir A-12A was a disaster of a design and proposal from start to finish. What was interesting was its rival, the Northrop/Grumman/LTV “A-11” aircraft. The stealth shape and wing planform of this design lives on in the X-47B UCAS-D which is effectively a 60% size, single engine, no crew version of it.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c190/Blargon2002/xplane-top.jpg
Picture
Jack Northrup did design the original "Flying Wing" series aircraft including the YB-35 and YB-49.

Whilst as stated by Ozzy above the photo looks like the B-2 Spirit, the A-12 Avenger II concept looked more like a triangle and was nicknamed the "Flying Dorito"

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/aircraft/a-12-pics.htm

kato

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
Technically, the first patent for a flying wing was filed in Austria-Hungary in 1905. Junkers filed his patent for one in Germany in 1910.

Swampfox157

A little off topic, but I would have to say many of the ATF concepts seem like they would be right at home in the Ace Combat series as some superfighter armed with A2A cluster missiles and a solid-state laser. Yep. Also, where exactly does the YF-23 fit into this design lineup?

SteelTiger 177

I saw some pics of the J-20 in Combat Aircraft magazine and it alomost looks like the YF-23 the Northrup/Grumman entered in the ATF competition.

Dan Raymer's autobiography Living in the Future contains very detailed information on Rockwell International's design studies for the ATF program. Raymer describes the Rockwell design submitted for the ATF competition as stealthy aircraft marrying with fuselage of the F-22 with the wings of the YF-23.

Even though the ultimate Rockwell International ATF submission did not make the cut, like the final designs for the F-22 and YF-23, it departed from the initial Rockwell ATF designs by incorporating stealth technology. Rockwell International lucked out in not making the cut to prototype an ATF design because it was busy with production of the B-1B Lancer and would begin participation in the X-30/NASP program (which the Defense Department jointly funded with NASA) not too long after Lockheed and Northrop were down-selected for prototyping their ATF designs.