Advice From Any Special Ops Guys

deopressoliber

I am in my third year of college and have decided to undertake a career in the military. I have talked with Army and Marine recruiters and have decided to go Army. I scored a 95 on the ASVAB and therefore I was offered a contract as a Special Forces recruit, and am trying to decide whether or not to join now or just wait until next year so as to finish college before entering the military.

My question: Is it reasonable to say that Special Forces soldiers have enough time in the length of the 6 year contract to squeeze in enough classes to finish one year on a bachelor's degree? I understand that the odds of someone getting past SFAS is slim, but understand that I am determined beyond explanation. This is definitely what I want to do with my life, but I also want to have a college degree completed because I don't quit anything. Thank you for your time.

eckherl

The Bunker Group
Verified Defense Pro
I am in my third year of college and have decided to undertake a career in the military. I have talked with Army and Marine recruiters and have decided to go Army. I scored a 95 on the ASVAB and therefore I was offered a contract as a Special Forces recruit, and am trying to decide whether or not to join now or just wait until next year so as to finish college before entering the military.

My question: Is it reasonable to say that Special Forces soldiers have enough time in the length of the 6 year contract to squeeze in enough classes to finish one year on a bachelor's degree? I understand that the odds of someone getting past SFAS is slim, but understand that I am determined beyond explanation. This is definitely what I want to do with my life, but I also want to have a college degree completed because I don't quit anything. Thank you for your time.
I am not a special operations type but I do have extensive military time in a combat related MOS and my advice to you would be to stay in school and finish your degree, if Special Forces wants you now then they will waite to take you a year down the road. These are bad times that we are in, if you make it thru training now then it is going to be very hard for you to concentrate on finishing school and playing Ricky Commando at the same time due to military obligations including the possiblility of being shipped out to a hostile environment.

Wooki

Defense Professional
Verified Defense Pro

There are plenty of guys who have come out of SOCOM and done a degree or finished one off as seems to be your situation.

Bottom line is an employer is not going to hold it against you and may even pay for you to finish your course (if and when you get out). If you show enough stick the Army might give you a few years and then force you to do same (complete your course) as they are fast tracking people at the moment. You need to talk with your recruiter about future plans, get him off the sales job and talk about making a real career in the military. And last word on employing people post-military is that the guys who are on the fast track within the military are the people industry loves to employ.

Also, if you are fit now, I would seriously consider moving in, as you never know what could happen in 1 year.

cheers

w

sarahwilsons

It's great to hear about your commitment to joining the Army and your determination to pursue a career in Special Forces! Here are some considerations regarding your questions about balancing military service and completing your degree:

Key Considerations
  1. Contract Length: A 6-year Special Forces contract allows some flexibility, but training is intensive and time-consuming.
  2. Training Schedule: Basic training, AIT, and SFAS take considerable time, which may limit class availability.
  3. Deployment: Special Forces members can be deployed, making it challenging to attend classes consistently.
  4. Education Benefits: The Army offers benefits like the GI Bill, allowing you to complete your degree later.
  5. ASVAB Jobs: With a 95 ASVAB score, you may qualify for various high-demand jobs, such as intelligence or engineering roles, which could provide valuable skills for your future.
  6. Online Classes: Consider online courses to manage your education while serving.
Recommendations
  • Evaluate Priorities: Decide whether finishing your degree now or joining the Army first aligns with your goals.
  • Consult Advisors: Talk to your college about options for part-time study or a leave of absence.
  • Network: Connect with current Special Forces soldiers for insights.
Good luck with your decision!

Redlands18

It's great to hear about your commitment to joining the Army and your determination to pursue a career in Special Forces! Here are some considerations regarding your questions about balancing military service and completing your degree:

Key Considerations
  1. Contract Length: A 6-year Special Forces contract allows some flexibility, but training is intensive and time-consuming.
  2. Training Schedule: Basic training, AIT, and SFAS take considerable time, which may limit class availability.
  3. Deployment: Special Forces members can be deployed, making it challenging to attend classes consistently.
  4. Education Benefits: The Army offers benefits like the GI Bill, allowing you to complete your degree later.
  5. ASVAB Jobs: With a 95 ASVAB score, you may qualify for various high-demand jobs, such as intelligence or engineering roles, which could provide valuable skills for your future.
  6. Online Classes: Consider online courses to manage your education while serving.
Recommendations
  • Evaluate Priorities: Decide whether finishing your degree now or joining the Army first aligns with your goals.
  • Consult Advisors: Talk to your college about options for part-time study or a leave of absence.
  • Network: Connect with current Special Forces soldiers for insights.
Good luck with your decision!
You realise you are replying to a nearly 17yo post, need to check dates. This Forum has been active and popular for over 20 years, there are a lot of posts from members who have not posted for very long periods.