NZDF General discussion thread

Hawkeye69

I agree those Paywalls are annoying, I would like the MH-60R to come out on top but cost and delivery timeframes could likely sink it, the Wildcat team look to be throwing everything at their bid to get it across the line, but the real one to watch I feel is the NH-90 NFH, reasons, we have experienced personnel trained on the platform, logistics wise advantage including cost savings on training as we already have a simulator and the big one is Airbus will likely offer a deal we simply cannot say no to and delivery time way ahead of the Wildcat and Seahawk.
People will say NFH is too big for current fleet but current fleet is all been replaced and today just about every naval vessel can accomodate a medium 10 tonne chopper….if NFH gets the tick of approval it will be no surprise.

RegR

I agree those Paywalls are annoying, I would like the MH-60R to come out on top but cost and delivery timeframes could likely sink it, the Wildcat team look to be throwing everything at their bid to get it across the line, but the real one to watch I feel is the NH-90 NFH, reasons, we have experienced personnel trained on the platform, logistics wise advantage including cost savings on training as we already have a simulator and the big one is Airbus will likely offer a deal we simply cannot say no to and delivery time way ahead of the Wildcat and Seahawk.
People will say NFH is too big for current fleet but current fleet is all been replaced and today just about every naval vessel can accomodate a medium 10 tonne chopper….if NFH gets the tick of approval it will be no surprise.
Exactly, another factor is numbers and cost, especially if DF want 9 frames which makes sense as they have gone through the issues of trying to run a small fleet in a naval environment and maintain availability which has been their biggest problem in the past. Quality over quantity or quantity over ideally, it's a hard one, especially in a financial crunch.

Hawkeye69

Paywalls are a pain! So far it looks as though it's the wildcat, NFH and Romeo. This will be an interesting watch but guessing the wildcat, hoping the Romeo but outside chance with the NFH. Guess it will come down to the sales pitch as all have their pros and cons in wide arcs.
My personal choice would be MH-60R but overall cost and delivery timeframe will likely kill it off, the Wildcat team are throwing everything into their bid but the real wildcard is the NH-90 NFH, in its favour is the experience we already have built up with operating our NH-90, the maintenance benefits with skillsets already in place, same with training with a NH-90 simulator already in place and pilot experience with the platform including operating from a ship and the logistics side. Having just 2x helicopter platforms would be attractive to the bean counters. But the big draw card could be the fact Airbus give us deal of the century on them, think the cancellation from Norway and the fact New Zealand is role model operator of the NH-90.
People will argue it’s too big for our current naval vessels but the entire fleet is due for replacement in the next decade, and most new naval vessels built today can accommodate a 10 tonne medium helicopter.

Just my thoughts.

Hawkeye69

Exactly, another factor is numbers and cost, especially if DF want 9 frames which makes sense as they have gone through the issues of trying to run a small fleet in a naval environment and maintain availability which has been their biggest problem in the past. Quality over quantity or quantity over ideally, it's a hard one, especially in a financial crunch.
The bean counters will like the fact we already have crew trained on the NH-90 platform including ship based operations and we have a decade of operating the type and having just a 2- fleet helicopter type keeps things simple.
Airbus will be looking to off load those ex Norway NFH and New Zealand is a poster child operator of the type.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
I'm not ignoring any point unless you know something about NZ having been/being invaded that I must have somehow missed? I'm going off actual fact, we did not use the jets and we have not needed the jets since axing them, it's not rocket science, nothing even remotely close to NZ being threatened has literally happened in a lifetime! We havnt had this detterant you speak of for over 2 decades so perhaps no one got the memo and still believe we have some vintage skyhawks or vanilla F16s so they are still dettered from invading by mistake? Or, maybe NZs just not high on the invasion list it would seem so we are not actually dettering, anything or anyone? The way you are talking is as if there has been a spate of invasions around the place and any country without jets has been snapped up, by someone (we're still figuring that one out) and we are about to be next! Guess I missed that one also.

Ukraine has jets, hasn't dettered Russia. It's as if Russia doesn't even care right? Guess they don't follow the invasion rulebook either, badass.

It is a government services department, thats how they get to call the shots, literally. Call it want you want if it makes you feel better, it still doesn't make a squadron of jets in NZ any more viable, likely or warranted.
And this is a rather classic example of 'sea blindness' by making the false argument revolving around an invasion of NZ. There are so many other ways that adversaries, both state actors and non-state actors, can threaten or even harm NZ and NZ interests.

Having a properly resourced NZDF can help NZ both directly mitigate risks from current and future adversaries, but also contribute to both global rules based order as well as the collective security of NZ friends, allies and trading partners.

Attempting to compare the Russian-Ukrainian conflict, which involves a largely land-based conflict between two nations that share a land border is only really relevant if one it talking at a tactical level. The strategic situation that Ukraine finds itself in is quite different from NZ and therefore what the two nations might need for security would be quite different.

BTW right off the top of my head I can think of at least four security situations which NZ has faced since I joined DT, which did not occur on NZ proper, within the confines of territorial waters or even the EEZ, where unfortunately NZ had little ability to respond because of how limited the NZDF had become in terms of overall capabilities. IIRC in one instance, a planned evac mission had to be scrubbed because there was only a single platform available to deploy and that suffered an equipment malfunction when it attempted to deploy.

One needs to recognize that NZ's interests do not end at the waters edge, or even at the edge of the EEZ, but instead extend well beyond that, because NZ is both involved in and dependent on global trade, since NZ is not totally self-sufficient. One cannot honestly and rationally claim otherwise.

Side note: I lack specific proof, but I strongly suspect that the conflict going on in Ukraine has had a negative impact on global food production and distribution, either through a reduction on grain harvests, issues with grain distribution, or both. This in turn would likely have lead to an increase in global prices for at least some foodstuffs. Now NZ being a global dairy producer might have in some ways been able to profit off of this, it is also quite possible that the reduced availability and increased prices for grains would have raised some food prices within NZ. Even if this were not the case, NZ would likely have been negatively impacted because some of NZ's trading partners would have either had reduced financial resources to trade with NZ due to having to spend more coin on food, or because of an increase in political and social instability within those trading partners due to the reduced availability and increased costs for grain and related food products.

Since China has been mentioned repeatedly consider the impact of a conflict between mainland China and Taiwan. Even if no other nations become involved, such a conflict would almost certainly have some significant negative impacts upon global trade, simply because of how dominant Taiwan is in the global production of advanced chips. If Taiwanese chip foundries were to be damaged or destroyed within the next few years (i.e. before some of the new chip foundries being built outside of Taiwan come online) then there would very rapidly be a global chip and semiconductor shortage. Given how many devices now have chips and PCB's built into them, we are talking about production for many modern devices would be either reduced or outright cease completely. If there was another global chip shortage, NZ would be negatively impacted, and should an armed conflict erupt between Taiwan and mainland China in the near future, it is almost certain that such a chip shortage would occur.

Todjaeger

Potstirrer
The bean counters will like the fact we already have crew trained on the NH-90 platform including ship based operations and we have a decade of operating the type and having just a 2- fleet helicopter type keeps things simple.
Airbus will be looking to off load those ex Norway NFH and New Zealand is a poster child operator of the type.
There is an ugly reality though, should the NZDF seek to acquire and operate NFH90's as replacements for the SH-2G(I)'s and that is there are only two vessels which can embark and hangar NH90-sized helicopters current serving in the RNZN and at least one of them lacks a hangar magazine. This means that the RNZN would only have a very limited naval helicopter capability at least until whatever will replace the ANZAC-class frigates start to enter service. IIRC that is currently sort of planned to take place about a decade from now (mid-2030's) which would mean that the NZDF would have to go several years without organic naval helicopter support.

RegR

And this is a rather classic example of 'sea blindness' by making the false argument revolving around an invasion of NZ. There are so many other ways that adversaries, both state actors and non-state actors, can threaten or even harm NZ and NZ interests.

Having a properly resourced NZDF can help NZ both directly mitigate risks from current and future adversaries, but also contribute to both global rules based order as well as the collective security of NZ friends, allies and trading partners.

Attempting to compare the Russian-Ukrainian conflict, which involves a largely land-based conflict between two nations that share a land border is only really relevant if one it talking at a tactical level. The strategic situation that Ukraine finds itself in is quite different from NZ and therefore what the two nations might need for security would be quite different.

BTW right off the top of my head I can think of at least four security situations which NZ has faced since I joined DT, which did not occur on NZ proper, within the confines of territorial waters or even the EEZ, where unfortunately NZ had little ability to respond because of how limited the NZDF had become in terms of overall capabilities. IIRC in one instance, a planned evac mission had to be scrubbed because there was only a single platform available to deploy and that suffered an equipment malfunction when it attempted to deploy.

One needs to recognize that NZ's interests do not end at the waters edge, or even at the edge of the EEZ, but instead extend well beyond that, because NZ is both involved in and dependent on global trade, since NZ is not totally self-sufficient. One cannot honestly and rationally claim otherwise.

Side note: I lack specific proof, but I strongly suspect that the conflict going on in Ukraine has had a negative impact on global food production and distribution, either through a reduction on grain harvests, issues with grain distribution, or both. This in turn would likely have lead to an increase in global prices for at least some foodstuffs. Now NZ being a global dairy producer might have in some ways been able to profit off of this, it is also quite possible that the reduced availability and increased prices for grains would have raised some food prices within NZ. Even if this were not the case, NZ would likely have been negatively impacted because some of NZ's trading partners would have either had reduced financial resources to trade with NZ due to having to spend more coin on food, or because of an increase in political and social instability within those trading partners due to the reduced availability and increased costs for grain and related food products.

Since China has been mentioned repeatedly consider the impact of a conflict between mainland China and Taiwan. Even if no other nations become involved, such a conflict would almost certainly have some significant negative impacts upon global trade, simply because of how dominant Taiwan is in the global production of advanced chips. If Taiwanese chip foundries were to be damaged or destroyed within the next few years (i.e. before some of the new chip foundries being built outside of Taiwan come online) then there would very rapidly be a global chip and semiconductor shortage. Given how many devices now have chips and PCB's built into them, we are talking about production for many modern devices would be either reduced or outright cease completely. If there was another global chip shortage, NZ would be negatively impacted, and should an armed conflict erupt between Taiwan and mainland China in the near future, it is almost certain that such a chip shortage would occur.
And exactly none of that will require NZ having a squadron of fast jets will it? Would the air force (air servivce if it helps) have sent the 2 seater skyhawks or F16s to do shuttles for the Evac?? Maybe send the 6 frigates? Would 16 fighters jets sitting in Ohakea solve the whole supply and demand issues caused by a war on the other side of the planet or sway Chinas industrial output in our favour? How exactly?? Not very likely scenarios are they, abit of a theme it would seem.

I have absolutely no qualms in the govt spending more on defence and am actually advocating for more to be spent, just on other more useful, beneficial and let's be honest realistic capabilities within the NZDF that actually provide tangible results pertinent to NZ and it's interests. Fast jets are definately way down on that list of capabilities and in fact there are other, new, capabilities I would still now rather see entertained before any re-imagining of a fast jet ACF. NZ is not flush with cash and Im not sure where this idea that it is is coming from because the country, much like the defence force, is struggling and buying jets now would be akin to buying a Lamborghini during a recession,I mean yea it's fast, the neighbours will think you are rich but it's not very practical for driving the kids to school and going to work when the vans alot more practical, cheaper and does everything else as well.

The irony is the ACF was a drain on the NZDF budget, waste even, for little to no gain other than being in the boys club but you guys are going on about govts lack of spending on defence, yet are advocating watching it fly laps around the country literally after-burning through funding like a wild fire? Like I said there are alot more priorities within defence that will need addressing with just this current "spend up" with people and infrastructure alone taking the lions share and any future "boosts" will be needed just to maintain/upgrade/replace what we've got not to go off on a hooray splashing $billions on a nice to have fleet of jets that we may use as a possible detterant in an unlikely invasion by an unknown enemy with undecided intentions sometime in the not to dissimilar future who knows, maybe?

RegR

There is an ugly reality though, should the NZDF seek to acquire and operate NFH90's as replacements for the SH-2G(I)'s and that is there are only two vessels which can embark and hangar NH90-sized helicopters current serving in the RNZN and at least one of them lacks a hangar magazine. This means that the RNZN would only have a very limited naval helicopter capability at least until whatever will replace the ANZAC-class frigates start to enter service. IIRC that is currently sort of planned to take place about a decade from now (mid-2030's) which would mean that the NZDF would have to go several years without organic naval helicopter support.
This could force them to bring the frigate replacement project forward in kind or even supplement. I'm relatively sure any new ships from now on will have built in growth potential, hangers included, to better future proof them a we have already been caught out a couple of times now with weight margin issues already. I'm still a firm believer in building towards the future not basing off the past.

Nighthawk.NZ

there are only two vessels which can embark and hangar NH90-sized helicopters current serving in the RNZN and at least one of them lacks a hangar magazine.
HMNZS Aotearoa, Canterbury both can accommodate and hanger NH-90 it is only HMNZS Manawanui and ANZAC's that can not hanger... and of course the OPV's deck is to small

Redlands18

One thing we shouldn't underestimate in this competition is Sikorsky/LMs ability to support a Romeo fleet, by the time NZ get their first Helo, Australia will be operating a fleet of Seventy-Six (36 MH60R, 40 UH60M) H-60 Hawk family Helicopters and that will mean a major Sikorsky presence in Sydney, with extensive stocks of spare parts, an extensive ability to provide training, logistics, maintenance. There would be no doubt the Ausgov would be fully supportive of any such move.

The NH-90 is not solely an Airbus product, Leonardo is also a major shareholder, and they of course produce the Wildcat so any competition involving both the NFH-90 and Wildcat has some complications.

Also the current RNZAF NH-90s will be 15-20 years older than then any NFH-90s, unless NZ picks up the six Norwegian aircraft